Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
bsa looked it up so I won't dispute it....but I thought the lines got fuzzy moving from pre war to transition,and pre war receivers were used in some transition models.The safety is clearly transition.

Another thing is the rear receiver ring is tapped and drilled...many pre war's were not.

Edited to Add: It's a Type II,Transition receiver.Not pre war.Smooth rear bridge and drilled and tapped.

Last edited by BobinNH; 11/09/12.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
BP-B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
In clarification of my above statement, I should have said "rounded over". My original Supergrades finish differs from the rifle in question, therefor I am sticking with my judgement that the stock has been refinished.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The finish looks correct to me. There is usually a light crack in the finish where the forend cap meets walnut. To tell for sure you'd need an inspection period. I've often wondered, if it's done well enough one can't even tell, does it matter? Sometimes there's just no way to be sure if one's been "cleaned up".

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
This is a nice rifle for sure....before dumping $3k a guy would want to see it in person, or get the inspection period.

Finish I dunno...from here it looks OK and the SG's had better finish than the regular models.

I had the "Holy Grail" of Super Grades.....from a rarity standpoint this one is "common".Redneck knows the story cry....I really screwed up on that one blush It was so unusual I bought it "knowing" it was not original and eventually sold it at profit.Big Boo-Boo! eek

Oh well!

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Well...what was it Bob?

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Horsman it was a SG 264 Win Mag.The SG was dropped as a catalog item the year the 264 was introduced...Rule's book does not list a 264SG;and says the SG was made from 1937 to 1959...so,supposedly,the 264(introduced in 1960)was not made as a catalog item in SG.

The fellow I bought the rifle from and I,both "knew" this....I could not be assured the rifle was factory original but bought it anyway(it was mint),at no where near the price a SG would bring.

Figuring it was not original,I loaded for and shot it,brought it to Alberta to hunt,gouged the checkering in one spot eek

Later I sold the rifle,made a small profit....and forgot about it until I saw a picture of another 264 SG in Whitaker's book.(evidence that they did make some;possibly custom shop)...my heart sank and I knew right away I had screwed the pooch.

A year or so later,I saw the rifle on GunsAmerica or GunsInternational(I forget which) for about $7-8k.It was mine alright,as I recognized the wood,and the gouge in the checkering... I wish I had kept it,not for the value, but I liked the rifle and cartridge. It was very accurate and had lovely wood.

Last edited by BobinNH; 11/09/12.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
bsa looked it up so I won't dispute it....but I thought the lines got fuzzy moving from pre war to transition,and pre war receivers were used in some transition models.The safety is clearly transition.

Another thing is the rear receiver ring is tapped and drilled...many pre war's were not.

Edited to Add: It's a Type II,Transition receiver.Not pre war.Smooth rear bridge and drilled and tapped.

Bob, you talking about gunners 300 H&H or the op's rifle in question??? Thanks buddy..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
bsa I was talking about the SG 220 Swift shown here.Were you on Gunners rifle?

Gets confusing sometimes... crazy smile

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
bsa I was talking about the SG 220 Swift shown here.Were you on Gunners rifle?

Gets confusing sometimes... crazy smile

Yeah, Gunner asked me a question about his rifle and then you said something to the effect that it wasn't...... whistle

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Q
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Q
Hi fellows, I'm new to this forum. I have some interest in this rifle on Gunbroker. I was wondering what this rifle should sell for assuming it was original? Any help is appreciated.

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Bob there's an alleged Super Grade 264 on Gunbroker right now for starting bid $5700.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Horseman thanks I will take a look. smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Someone can keep it too...Just sayin.

+1

Have a question....why start at $0.01 and set the blind reserve at over $3,000 ? confused

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I'd guess he's hoping for interest from folks who'd move along if they saw a $3000 reserve.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Hotload

+1

Have a question....why start at $0.01 and set the blind reserve at over $3,000 ? confused

Because they are a [bleep] idiot.....

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Doesn't rock my boat.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

+1

Lots of seller's run their auctions this way... and usually receive a poor result. The item goes unsold and lots of people who take a look move on and don't look back. People get real excited and real involved with the auctions that start at a penny and have no reserve. On a popular and desirable item (such as this rifle) this usually works very very well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by boltman

+1

Lots of seller's run their auctions this way... and usually receive a poor result. The item goes unsold and lots of people who take a look move on and don't look back. People get real excited and real involved with the auctions that start at a penny and have no reserve. On a popular and desirable item (such as this rifle) this usually works very very well.

This man's rifle did not sell.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I agree with above. Yeah it's a type II transition model- safety gives it away. FWIW many of the cloverleafs were used in magnum length actions even after the calender "transition" period.FWIW as far as Pre War safety conversions is concerned one can guestimate the date of converion by the lever used, eg I have a Pre War 375 H&H with a Tilden safety and my transitions IIRC I think with both the type I/II safeties.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I see the auction has been relisted and the bidding is about $400 more than the end of the previous auction. It's sort of like someone has a gun for sale, they show it to you and you ask, "what do you want for it?" And they don't answer you... frown

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
492 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 46 invisible), 2,219 guests, and 1,005 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,171
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.