Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
About 10 days ago a thread about a guy here on the 'fire who called Rem to buy a 'rivetless' extractor and was told by the Rem person, "we've never made a rivetless extractor".. Geez.. That's funny, because I have a couple in my Rem parts drawer..

Now, two days ago, a customer of mine was havin' trouble with his Rem M742 (how strange!!!) and called Rem. He said that with a magazine installed, the bolt won't move. The Rem dude sez, "your 'magazine limiter' is worn and needs replacement!"...

So he calls me and asks if I have one.. (????????) I've been workin' with these pos rifles for nearly 15 years and have NEVER heard that term.. He's describing the issue and I just tell him to bring it in so I can see what's wrong.. He also sez some store clerk told him his rifle was 'nearly mint' and shows very little rail chattering..

Whatever.

He dropped it off Wednesday late afternoon.. Yesterday morning I begin - took a magazine, inserted it (locked in nicely and easily) and tried to move the bolt back. Wouldn't budge.

I knew JUST what I was gonna find.. Sure enough - I removed the magazine, turned the action upside down and checked the operating handle retaining pin.. It was far from flush in the bolt.. Two quick taps with a punch and hammer and it was seated. Inserted a magazine and the action worked perfectly..

"magazine limiter" indeed... Ye gods..

When he came to pick up the rifle I took a small light and showed him the upper bolt rail that had teeth marks so deep from bolt over-rotation that this rifle was soon to be a single-shot and/or wall hanger..

Call Remmy at your own risk from now on IYAM...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Rem M742 is generally viewed as job security for any gunsmith in WI. grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I called Rem a few years ago wondering about putting a 7400 stock set on 750 when I was putting together my project 358.

Rem tech service told me the 750 and 7400 stocks/forearms were not interchangeable at all.

I had both stock sets in my hand, and I could see absolutely no internal or mounting differences.
The 7400 stock set works just dandy on my 750. I have no idea what Rem tech service was talking about.

Last edited by BlackFrog; 11/16/12.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you had both stocks on hand and could see that they were identical, why did you call Remington? Needed a good laugh?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I had called them about a gas porting question, and while I had them on the line asked about the stock.

By their answer about the stock- it also had me questioning the answer I got about the gas ports too...

Last edited by BlackFrog; 11/16/12.
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Some smiths would have sold the guy a special order magazine limiter.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
To answer your question Redneck YES

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The Rem dude sez, "your 'magazine limiter' is worn and needs replacement!".

Probably easier than telling the owner that he had a POS that is self destructing like all 742's and they neither work on them or sell parts for them.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Wait until they all have East Indian accents....

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Remember,it's those type of people that get you closer to that piece of real estate.

Sometimes when folks bring in their firearms they just need a good cleaning.

IC B3

R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Some smiths would have sold the guy a special order magazine limiter.
I'm sure some would..

I don't do things like that.. Honesty keeps me very busy.. smile

Originally Posted by plainsman456
Remember,it's those type of people that get you closer to that piece of real estate.

Sometimes when folks bring in their firearms they just need a good cleaning.
And if that's the case, I tell 'em just that..

Never had a beef by bein' honest... Can't see changin' now..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Aaahh the old Jammaster or Scattermatic 742!

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Fortunately, I seldom have to order gun parts from the factory, but recent experiences have left me wondering.

It took me dealing with four employees and three separate shipments to get a couple of Marlin parts from Remlin. The employees tried to be helpful, but only the fourth got it all together. Had a similar experience with Rossi, and never did get the parts.

I believe part of the problem is that the companies don't have and provide adequate, workable, schematics and parts lists. I went back and forth on the phone and listened to the employees going tap, tap, tap, on their computers trying to identify the parts. The schematics are typically for a generic model, not the variants, and that's a big part of the problem.

But what do I know? Must drive the professional smiths crazy dealing with this stuff on a regular basis.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Paul39
Must drive the professional smiths crazy dealing with this stuff on a regular basis.

Paul
What helps us is that we usually have very good knowledge of exactly what we're askin' for. In my case, I have a full set of most makers' parts lists so I can specify the exact part number I need.. Saves the idiots from attempting to decipher what a customer is askin' for.. Most firearms owners that I've run into have no idea what to call a certain part. And it DOES take a while to learn the proper name of every part..

Only rarely will I get a wrong part in - maybe once every two years.. Guess I've been lucky..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Makes sense, but it confirms what I said about having a proper schematic and parts list for the specific firearm.

Both of my recent cases involved a new rifle that came with an owner's manual with a generic schematic that didn't show the parts for my particular rifle. The Rossi has a schematic, but no parts number reference list. I don't understand why it would be so difficult or costly to pack a specific schematic and list with a new gun; many come that way or used to. At least you should be able to go to the company's website and get a link you can access with the gun's serial number.

It ain't rocket science. In my situation, there's no way a cap or tip should be confused with a tenon, which is what one employee swore was the case.

Paul

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Back when they started talking about coming out with the new xmark trigger, we were at the SHOT show and went in to Remingtons area.

I asked a young kid in a cheap suit that didnt fit him if they had any of the new triggers beouse I would like to see one. Sure, he says, right over here. He hands me one on an action attached to a wooden block.

I made the comment when I looked at it "good, it dosnt lock the bolt" he said, "we have never made a trigger that locked the bolt."

There was a time when you had shooters running Remington, now you just have employess working there.

R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Paul39
Makes sense, but it confirms what I said about having a proper schematic and parts list for the specific firearm.

Both of my recent cases involved a new rifle that came with an owner's manual with a generic schematic that didn't show the parts for my particular rifle. The Rossi has a schematic, but no parts number reference list. I don't understand why it would be so difficult or costly to pack a specific schematic and list with a new gun; many come that way or used to. At least you should be able to go to the company's website and get a link you can access with the gun's serial number.

It ain't rocket science. In my situation, there's no way a cap or tip should be confused with a tenon, which is what one employee swore was the case.

Paul
Years ago several manufacturers did place a schematic and parts sheet with the firearm.. I think they got away from it due to the fact that, by the time many owners needed a part, the price noted on their list was about 1/10 of what it NOW costs..

I just sold a Firestar M43 and part of the docs that came with it was a full-blown schematic and parts list w/prices.. Man, were THOSE cheap.. laugh laugh

Also, nowadays, many manufacturers refuse to sell certain (if not all) parts to owners - marking them internally for 'gunsmith sale only'...

Oh, and try to get some Ruger parts; if it isn't related to sights or simple screws, fuggetaboutit..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by dsink

I made the comment when I looked at it "good, it dosnt lock the bolt" he said, "we have never made a trigger that locked the bolt.".
LMAO.. Yeah, that's what I'm talkin' about..

You'd think, at least at a show like the SHOT show, that they'd actually have all their people attending KNOW what the heck they're talkin' about..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
That doesn't make complete sense. ID'ing the part is the main thing. The price comes later, and can be expected to change over time. Not a reason to fail to provide a decent schematic, IMO.

Paul

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
yes indeed......

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
393 members (1lesfox, 300jimmy, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 39 invisible), 2,074 guests, and 915 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,594
Posts18,398,004
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.