Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
I have been bowhunting several times this fall and have yet to see a deer during shooting hours. I think I have found out why. I hunted a stand in a ravine at the end of a field one morning and walking in before light, I could see multiple sets of tracks in the fresh dug field. There was also a pretty established trail coming across the field. The field is about 70 yards wide and the trail comes out of some grassy, brushy stuff, across a fence, across the field and down a grass and tree covered railroad bank.

In the dark I thought it was deer tracks all over the fresh dug bean field and assumed the trail to be made by deer also.

1/2 hour after light I had a big prime coyote at 12 yards broadside that scooted behind some brush just as I was drawing my bow. I lip squeaked and he stopped but wouldn't come out for a shot.

Anyway, when I walked out of the stand that morning I was surpised to see that all of the tracks in the field AND the trail was made by coyotes. LOTS of coyotes.

I have never snared before but my gut tells me that setting snares at the fence crossing and where the grass parts on the edge of the RR bank would be the best place to do it.

Any advice/tips on snare handling, how to go about setting them, attaching them etc. would be greatly appreciated!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

BP-B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Rooster7

I have never snared before but my gut tells me that setting snares at the fence crossing and where the grass parts on the edge of the RR bank would be the best place to do it.

Best place to catch deer, dogs and everything else too.

Stick to the footholds, imo

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If you do use snares, I recommend a relaxing lock so you can release non-targets. I don't snare much, but when I do I use a relaxing lock for that reason. You can pick up a dog a long ways from any house.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Start by checking the laws in your state. The laws vary greatly between states so advice you get from one source may make you illegal in your state.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
I have checked the laws and have been reading up on different types of snares and accessories. I definatley would run relaxing locks. I couldn't imagine finding someone's dog at the end of a snare. frown

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Sound like a job for an 10/22 or ar-15, plus its way funner!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
648 members (1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 75 invisible), 2,756 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,650
Posts18,399,153
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.