Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DLSguide
Well, at least the Cooper will shoot and have a good Montana company to back it. Not so much on either case with a kimber.

A big +1 on that one for sure. No POS (read Kimber) will ever cross the threshhold of my house.
Bear in Fairbanks

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bear in Fairbanks,

Your just saying that either you can't shoot well or can't even mount a scope and tighten the screws on a rifle!

I have a number of Kimbers and they are all outstanding shooters, stay sighted in and have the other features that I prefer in a hunting rifle like CRF and a 3 position M70 type safety.

[Linked Image]

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The last Kimber I got is a new 8400 Montana in 7mm WSM. From the first shots at the range it's been very very accurate.

It's all sighted in and ready. I had it as go to rainy day rifle in VT last week.

It put two Berger 140 VLD's into 1" at 200 yds right where I want them.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Really liked the Cooper 54, but wanted a 3 position safety out of the box. Took it off my list b/c of that. Sako 85 Bavarian found its way to my safe :-)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rather fond of my 84M in 243. Aint a POS in the least.

Yup.
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Cooper not custom? Funny, when I toured the factory they were making actions right there out of bar steal, not investment casts. They cut there wood right there also, picked out my stick while I was there. And that Wilson barrel will shoot better then me, and cleans up with little to no elbow grease. Got to pick the contour also. Added a ebony fore end, inlet sling studs, checkering of my choice, barrel length, length of pull, and scope rings. Do you get that with a Kimber? Not knocking Kimber, they make some damn pretty rifles, I have had my eye on a .338 stocked in English walnut for a couple months now. I do like my Cooper, and I will, sometime in the future, have me another one, before I buy that super nice Kimber 338.

Good luck, good hunting, and good times.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I had a Kimber MT in 260. Bought it here from Brad. It shot ok and worked ok. For whatever reason it just never really caught my fancy. I recently traded into an ULA .260 and, PF or not, carbon steel or not, it has quickly become one of my favorites. The hideously ugly green paint job has really grown on me and it has just enough uniqueness that I dig it. Shoots like an absolute mofo, too. Take a look at a used ULA if you can find one.

RLTW
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had the Kimber in 7-08. Should have put another barrel on the thing, but..........

dubya Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Savage_99, ill have to agree with you on Kimbers. Of the four ive bought i only sold one and thats only because it was a duplicate caliber and I'm planning on buying a 7 mag or wsm and needed a little extra cash. I think come Monday ill be hitting the "buy it now" button on another Montana in either 243 or 25-06. I'm positive id be happy with the Cooper but i LOVE my Kimbers and for ~$1,000 they're a great value IMO. Now i need to figure oyt if i want the 25-06 or 243.... its something ive been going bavk and fourth on for months now! Literally.

BTW, does anyone have experience with the 7mm's from Kimber? I really want one in mag or possibly short mag but have heard the 7mm barrels are where most if the problems came from for Kimber. But than again i hardly ever see a 7mm kimber for sale online so maybe they're really accurate and the guys that have em keep em! Idk. Tough decisions!

Cory

dubya Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Greentimber, too bad you already got rid of the 260 since I've kept my eyes open lately for a Montana 260..

IC B3

dubya Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Quick update:

I ended up buying the Kimber Montana 25-06 ive been looking at. $1,150 NIB. Not the best deal ive seen but not bad either. Now to figure out a scope. The Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 i have sitting on my 10/22 or a Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40.... hmm

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's a probability that any product including rifles could not be as good as we want it to be. Of course that includes Kimber rifles.

There is no reason that their 7mm rifles are any worse or better for that matter than similar calibers.

I have two 7mm Kimbers. One a 7-08 Classic that's sighted in with the 120 BT's now and my most recent one a 7mm WSM Montana. Both were accurate from the start.

The only Kimber I had accuracy concerns with is a 270 WSM Montana. It seems that I have got that one straightened out now.

I was satisfied with the battery of old M70's that I have used since aquiring the first one in 1957. As I got older and the very light SS-Syn Kimbers came out I got some of them. I like the Kimbers M70 type safety and their CRF.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I have multiples of both and like both for diff. reasons. I like the kimbers to hunt with, have 3montanas 25=06 308 and 300wsm. Ive had others and all shot sub moa. I like my coopers for p-dogs and punching small holes. I do have a cooper 54 in 257R that I hunt with. Can't figure out whats not to like about both IMO

MOLON LABE
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My Montana in 7mm/08 is sub moa, with handloads. no complaints in the accuracy department!

dubya Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Quick question. Im about to order Talley lightweight mounts fir a scope with a 40mm bell, will the "low" mounts work or will i need the "medium"?

m77 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dubya
Quick question. Im about to order Talley lightweight mounts fir a scope with a 40mm bell, will the "low" mounts work or will i need the "medium"?

I decided on a DNZ Med one piece mount. I felt that with the straight stock, my eye was better aligned with the scope using Med mounts. I will try and post a picture later today, that will give you an idea how high/low the scope sits. The DNZ system is very solid and sturdy. I guess the DNZs and Talleys are similar in design and quality.

Pieter

Last edited by m77; 11/19/12.
dubya Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Cool ill check them out. Thanks pieter.

Cory

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The Talley lows work fine on my 52 with a 40MM

Randy

m77 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dubya
Cool ill check them out. Thanks pieter.

Cory

Here is my 8400 with DNZ med Game Reaper Mounts. I guess the Montana will have more or less the same shaped stock as the walnut stocked rifles. It looks to me as if the design is not exactly the same as Talley mounts, but what I like about the DNZ is the long screws that tighten the rings as I think it helps to provide that extra security of holding the scope tightly. Not that other mounts and rings don't work smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Pieter

Last edited by m77; 11/19/12.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Bear in Fairbanks,

Your just saying that either you can't shoot well or can't even mount a scope and tighten the screws on a rifle!

I have a number of Kimbers and they are all outstanding shooters, stay sighted in and have the other features that I prefer in a hunting rifle like CRF and a 3 position M70 type safety.

[Linked Image]

Really? You don't know crap about me nor my abilities. Until you do, keep your personal comments to your self. Bloviator that you are.
Bear in Fairbanks

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (270winchester, 12344mag, 163bc, 1lessdog, 16penny, 2500HD, 60 invisible), 2,061 guests, and 1,130 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,198
Posts18,465,952
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.