Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
eballer Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Hi all,

I recently came into possession of a Savage 1909 pump in .22lr.

It's missing several parts including the main assembly screw, firing pin, slide stop retaining pin, slide stop spring, and magazine. I can't find some of these parts online so I'm going to start making/adapting them.

Does anyone here have one of these rifles? A big question I have is in regards to the disassembly screw. I doubt I'm going to come across one without buying another busted up rifle for parts.

If there is any way someone here can tell me what the measurements of this screw are, It would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

EB

GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I believe our resident .22 pump expert is on his way to a gun show but once he gets logged on here you should get lots of info.

welcome to the 'Fire!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
EB,

I don't have thread gages. What dimensions do you need?

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
EB, The takedown screw is 1/4 - 28 thread which is a standard fine. The chamfer angle for the hole is not the same as a standard flat head screw though, which are 82�, I do not have any way to accuratly meaure it but it appears to be around 70�, or less. Numrich lists takedown screws for the Model 25, these will work - they are just threaded farther and probably will have a smaller diameter head. I took a picture of different variations but I cannot get into photobucket with their new 'improved' version to upload it & their link to the 'old version' does not work.

Be carefull if you order a firing pin, you probably will get a late version and unless your gun has had the bolt replaced it will not fit & I don't think it can't be made to fit. The firing pin Numrich has pictured will not fit an early style bolt. Later bolts have an obround openning in the top near the front. Savage quit listing the early bolts at least by 1924 (that's the earliest parts catalog I have)& sold updated complete replacements after that. They do have a note to include the serial number of the gun when ordering so they may still have supplied parts for earlier bolts. The 1927 parts catalog states "The breech bolt as illistrated is of our latest design and should function satisfactorily in your rifle though the boly you now have may be of earlier design." I have ran across quite a few early guns with the later updated bolt.

I finally got photobucket to work - from left to right; early 1903 with angled knurling; late 1903/1909/1912/1914 with straight knuring; early Model 25 (same except tapped farther); late Model 25 with smaller diameter head.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by GeneB; 11/18/12. Reason: added picture

Gene
E
eballer Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Wow, thanks GeneB! Couldn't have asked for better information! Thanks as well to Steve99, and Lightfoot for the welcome. I'll try to post some pics when I get it all put together!

IC B2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 64 invisible), 2,095 guests, and 1,188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,073
Posts18,463,784
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.