Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#70916 06/20/02
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Anybody doing any woodchuck (groundhog) hunting?
<br>
<br>So far this year my varmint hunting partner and myself have killed 48 "chucks". This week, so far, has been very good. This past Monday my buddy killed 4 and I killed 3, Tues he killed 4, Weds I killed 6. My kills were between 200 and 450 yards and since he is using his 17 Mach 4 his kills have been between 50 and 200 yards.
<br>
<br>He uses a 25gr berger bullet. It is amazing how that little bullet tears up a woodchuck. One he hit at 150 yards this past Monday ended up in 2 peices. I use a 52gr berger bullet out of my 22 CHeetah MK 1 at 4280 FPS. Last night I killed one at a measured 392 yards. There is no concernable lag in time for that bullet to get there. Even at 500 yards the bullet gets there long before I can recover from the slight recoil to see the hit.
<br>
<br>I hope all of you are having success in killing varmints.
<br>
<br>Don [Linked Image]

Groove Bullets - Get in the Groove
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very cool donknows, Around my area (Nebraska) we don't have many chucks. Mostly crow, coyote, and pigeons are the only thing I know of. I assume you find the chucks in hay fields and alike. I am just starting to build on my varmiting rigs A Savage FP Tactical in 223. Then I will be pursuing some varmits. Take Care. Esox357

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Congrats! DonKnows - Thats some good numbers. G'hogs and hunting areas are getting somewhat scarce, (I'll try to not to go into my previous post) and I was discourgaged but I got my 10th one tonight!. I think the heat spell we had drove them in for a short time(central bluegrass of KY) & I've probably passed up (not safe to shoot) at least twice that number. But as said, they are starting to get scarce, except in the city. Keep us posted as I would like to hear about your success. Good Luck and good shooting!!

Red Baron
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Esox,
<br>
<br>Many years ago about all we hunted was cut hay fields. I started hunting the farm I now deer hunt on about 15 or so years ago. They raise beans (soy beans) and corn and a small amount of potatos. (700 acres total). Once the bean plants come up the chucks move into the fields like flies over _ _ _ _ (well, you know the last word there).
<br>
<br>There seems to be a lot of chucks this year, for some reason. There is one field (not more then 35 acres) that we have killed 14 chucks out of and we know there are more in that field. I would venture a guess that 1/2 of the bean plants have been eaten down to the ground. They are about 4" high right now in the parts of the field where the chucks haven't been, yet. That field was re-planted yesterday since there wasn't going to be much of a crop. We will keep pounding the chucks as much as possible for several reasons. The owner of that farm has allowed us to place permanent, free standing elevated stands for the purpose of varmint control and for deer hunting. The more chucks we kill, the more crops will grow to maturity and the better the harvest for the farmer - as long as mother nature co-operates. Chuck holes tear up farm equipment.
<br>
<br>We have written permission to drive onto any property that farmer owns and/or leases. We are the only ones with written permission. When the son of the owner sat with us one night and watched us kill woodchucks to 550 yards he knew we were serious about our varmint hunting. We enjoy varmint hunting, plus it is good practice. It is a "win - win" situation for both the farmer and for us.
<br>
<br>There should be opportunities for at least another 30 to 40 kills on that one peice of property (460 acres) before the beans get so high that we won't be able to see the chucks.
<br>
<br>The farmer has other peices of property as well. We will keep the pressure on as much as possible.
<br>
<br>Have a good one,
<br>
<br>Don [Linked Image]

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Red,
<br>
<br>Thanks for the possitive input.
<br>
<br>I fully understand not being able to shoot because it isn't safe. Most of the property we hunt is relatively flat. Some of the fields have just enough "rise and fall" to make it difficult to see much further than 300 yards (on fields that are over 800 yards across). Then there are houses and such in the woods. Obviously we don't shoot in the direction of any structures. Because we are rather effective in killing off so many chucks the farmer that owns the property has allowed us to install elevated free standing stands. These stands are used for varmint and deer hunting. Because the land is relatively flat the elevated stand allows us to see more area and hence be more effective in killing the chucks.
<br>
<br>We get phone calls all the time form the farmer, his wife, his sons as to where they see the most active holes. Afterall, they plant the fields, so they know where the holes are more so then we do. We don't walk the fields because we don't want to step on crops.
<br>
<br>There are some fields where it just isn't possible to set up and shoot in a safe direction (due to structures around). In those fields the farmer uses "varmint bombs". They stuff the "bombs" down the holes and "try" to plug off the holes, hoping to kill the chucks. It really isn't all that affective.
<br>
<br>It is an ongoing battle.
<br>
<br>Have a good one,
<br>
<br>Don [Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Last Monday night I was he spotter for DK.He spotted the chuck first and I had to reposition the spotting scope to get on the little bugger.While we were monkeying around trying to get ready to take the shot Don got distracted.I called out that there were two chucks.What I meant to say was that there were two chucks inline.As I was spotting them
<br>one would pop up facing away and then another would pop up facing us.Here were 2 Woodchuck close togeather INLINE!Don did not see the one behind the other.He pulls the trigger and no more chuck.We walk down there 147 yards and there lay two dead woodchucks.Dons first double. YAHOO!!!
<br>Dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Dave was and still is more excited about the double kill them I am.
<br>
<br>The both of us were out this afternoon and I managed to kill another 4 chucks. That makes 52 between Dave and myself, so far this season. One in particular was really cool. It popped its head out of its hole, just for a few seconds. By the time I got on it, down it went. It was close, only about 175 yards. It did pop its head back up about an hour later and I quietly got on it. All I had was about 2 1/2" of it's head for an aiming point. I put the dot right in its left ear and squeezed. Once we called it a night we always check the chucks. Kind of sick I know, but we never said we weren't sick puppies, lol. The bullet did enter its ear and blew about 75% of its head clean off. What really struck us as funny was that its 2 top buck teeth were laying on the ground a foot or so away from the rest of what was left of it. No dentist needed, [Linked Image]
<br>
<br>If the weather co-operates we will be back out Monday afternoon (Sunday hunting isn't legal here).
<br>
<br>Don [Linked Image]

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Great!! You guys are really having fun!! I have one 'double' on a g'HOG's - several years ago - I had 2 of them sunning themselves side by side on a haybail. Took them both with a .22-250- one shot. But now I hunt with a .223 (noise factor) - usually no exit (safety factor).
<br>I think you need a new goal to shoot for (pun intended -grin) are you VHA members ? 500 Club?? I made it last year. Good Shooting!!!!!!!!!!!

Red Baron
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Good shooting - on the double.
<br>
<br>I have heard a lot from people that don't beleive what that 22 bullet can do to animals. Obviously from people that never used them. On the 2 I killed (with 1 bullet) it went clean through both chucks. The second chuck was just as torn up as the first one.
<br>
<br>My buddy Dave is a VHA member. If I was when I killed one at 660 yards a couple of years back I guess I could of been in that club.
<br>
<br>We shoot them for the practice and to help out the farmers. I am not into it for any type of recognition.
<br>
<br>It is enjoyable.
<br>
<br>Have a good one,
<br>
<br>Don [Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Evening DONKNOWS >> Hit the rockchucks this last weekend with the brother. Little buggers were everywhere. Nine taken in all from 160 - 460 yds. He was giving his new .223 it's first real test run. I was using my .243 with two loads. One using a 55 gr. Ballistic Tip at just over 4200 fps and the other using a 75 gr. Hollow Point at around 3700 fps. Both worked well.
<br>
<br>We're also members of the VHA and shooting for the 500 and 1000 yd. clubs. Gonna load up an 80 gr. BT in the .243 to improve on the consistency and the 500 yd. club should be fairly routine. That 1000 yd. one will be a bit more challenging ;o) . Got a Sendero project in the works right now with the 1000 yd. goal in mind. Anyway, congrats on your success. Later. >> klallen

IC B3

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Congrats on the rockchucks,
<br>
<br>If I may inquire, what is your load that pushes a 55gr bullet out of a 243 at 4200 plus? Whats the barrel length and barrel contour?
<br>
<br>Since my last post we are now up to 56 dead chucks. [Linked Image]
<br>
<br>Have a good one,
<br>
<br>Don [Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
DONKNOWS >> You surely can inquire. The rifle is the basic, M77 Mark II VT. No changes, as far as barrel length and contour, have been made. Still 26" and the factory contour. Just a little tweeting of that trigger.
<br>
<br>I use 48.5 grs. of Varget started with a Federal primer. I had a MAX load established using 49 grs. of Varget that showed no signs of pressure in cooler weather. Velocities averages 4289 fps. Sadly, little of my serious varminting takes place in cool temperatures so I had to pull it back that 1/2 a gr. Velocities sit right around that 4220 fps level now.
<br>
<br>I do think I am going to lean towards the slower, heavier bullet in the .243. The 55's certainly give a dramatic kill, but the consistency of something a little heavier appeals to me right now. Chat with you later. >> klallen

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Klallen,
<br>
<br>4220 FPS, WOW, thats moving right along.
<br>
<br>One thing we notice is when we shoot a chuck at 500 or so yards it doesn't take the bullet long to get there. I push a 52gr bullet at 4280. There is no noticable lag of time at all like there would be with, lets say and 06. I like the flat shooters since it allows for less elevation adjustments. As an example, out to 200 yards I don't make any vertical adjustments at all and at 300 yards I adjust 1" high at 100 to be on at 300. We use a range finder to determine distances and even if we are off by 50 yards we still get the elevation right because the drop difference in that 50 yard error wouldn't really matter,,,,till we got out past 600 yards.
<br>
<br>I wish you well on your varmint hunting,
<br>
<br>Don [Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I really have enjoyed reading this woodchuck discussion. My favorite chuck rifle is a Winchester High Wall chambered in .219 K-Zipper. I have others in .243 and a .224 wildcat with a 26" bbl, 1-9 twist and a case that holds 51 grains of 4831. I use the 69 gr Matchking most of the time in it.
<br>
<br>Chuck hunting is some of the best real rifle hunting that I have ever done. It's real marksmanship.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
As of last Saturday our new total for the year now stands at 71 chucks sent to visit their maker, lol.
<br>
<br>Have fun guys,
<br>
<br>Don [Linked Image]

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Hey! Your the one having Fun!!!! GRIN!!!!!! 2 tonight, but a total of 13 pales in comparison. BTW - got my first one with the .17 HMR Ruger, 50 yards, dropped like a rock. Other I had to use .223 @ 255 yards, windy.
<br>Keep us posted!!

Red Baron
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Red,
<br>
<br>Congrats on the kill with the 17.
<br>
<br>As of last Saturday our combined total for the year now stands at 93 chucks sent to see their maker [Linked Image]
<br>
<br>Hopefully we will break 100. Never have in the past. Two years ago we killed 97 and that was our best year. Last year was kind of slow, we killed 47.
<br>
<br>Have a good one, and keep killing those varmints.
<br>
<br>Don [Linked Image]

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Last Thursday evening (in 2 hours) I killed 9 woodchucks out of a 15 acre field. My wife was my spotter. It was a really good night. Most kills were between 200 and 420 yards. All nice and close.
<br>
<br>Last Friday night I used Dave7mm's rifle (22 CHeetah MK 1) instead of mine because I ran out of ammo Thursday night. Which reminds me, I have to reload 60 rounds. In any case I spotted a woodchuck along the edge of the field, about 300 yards out. There was a slight rise in the field then it dropped back off to the edge of the woods. All I could see, on and off, was the top of its back. I kept loosing sight of it, I would see it for a few seconds, then it would disappear again. After watching it for about an hour I decided, I am going to "try" the shot. All I had in view was about 1 1/2" of its back, broadside. I put the dot right in the middle of its back and touched the trigger. I didn't say squeeze the trigger cause you don't squeeze a four ounce trigger. When we walked up to it we found that the bullet went thru, breaking its back. It did try to get up and go but when you break them in half it is tough for them to go anywhere, lol.
<br>
<br>As we (Dave and myself) where watching that chuck Dave had to listen to my constant cussing of his blurry Leupold scope, lol. Man that thing is really blurry compared to my 6 to 24 X 50 Swarovski I have on my 22 CHeetah MK 1. I should add for those that don't know, I shake a LOT, so it is difficult for me to see thru a scope that is so eye critical, which his Leupold 24X BR scope is. My Swarovski on the other hand is not anywhere near as eye critical and my scope is much sharper and brighter. You DO get what you pay for with quality optics.
<br>
<br>Off to reload ammo,,,,,,,going out tonight to kill more "chucks".
<br>
<br>Have a good one all,
<br>
<br>Don [Linked Image]
<br>

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My buddy and I drove up to Vermont on July 10th to hunt chucks or more precisely to look for chucks. We never saw even one!
<br>
<br>We went to a field that used to have chucks and even the remains of the dens have collapsed and filled in. We drove back to CT on R22. That's all dairy farm country. We did not even see one chuck there either.
<br>
<br>I have not shot a chuck this year.
<br>
<br>I have little use for my varmint rifles. For some varmint hunting a game rifle is just as good.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So did you use the AO to focus ? Were the lenses dirty ?
<br>
<br>Leupolds are not dark and blurry.

[Linked Image from ]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
89 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,583 guests, and 784 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,764
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.