Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#7078037 11/15/12
ppine Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have a friend in my local service club with 7 Arabians. I offered to help with some ground work at her place, and she offered to pay me. I have some reservations, but I should know what I am up against pretty quickly. I have ridden these horses only a few times, but have been around them fairly often. They usually seem hot, nervous and ready to take off. But they are underexercised a lot. We had one on a pack trip for a week. He was small and easy to get on in the mountains. At the end of some long days he had plenty of gas in the tank. I came to really like the horse.

I refuse to be talked into riding any of these critters, but feel pretty confident on the ground, at least when armed with some tools. What has your experience been with these animals?
Mustangs and Arabians are the closest thing to mules in the horse world, because they are smart and have lots of self-preservation.

The only cure for life and death is to enjoy the interval.
George Santayana
GB2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
We have one horse that is 7/8 Arab & 1/8 Saddlebred. My wife has worked with a number of Arabians, and they tend to be quite intelligent and quick to learn. Think of them as so intelligent they are easily bored.

I have done ground work with some of the ones that my wife has worked with and found them to be quickly engaged, but you have to keep them that way.

Granted, there are different types, even within the breed, but they are consistently more sensitive to stimulus. Body language that might be appropriate for most horses is "too loud: for the Arabs I have been around.
They like subtlety, in fact that creates curiosity, which holds their attention on you.

Have fun!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
When I was growing up, my horse was 3/4 Arab, 1/4 Quarterhorse. She was all Arab except she was 16 hands high. She was one tough horse. Us kids would spend the day riding in the mountains and by nightfall, she'd still be going strong while the other horses were whacked. She was ready to take off at any time but she minded her manners. She'd only take off when I wanted her to. Her only fault was that she was too fast on trails. I had to hold her back all the time.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Arabs are pretty intelligent and have great stamina, but can be "hot" and "flighty" in my experience. I remember riding through a snow packed forest and a fox jumped out. My arab freaked and took off while the appys were just chillin'. I got her under control pretty quickly but in the end, I much preferred a thoroughbred who was just "hot". lol.

Eric

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I had a half Arab that my Dad was amazed at how calm she was. After a while he came to the conclusion that Arabs as a rule were calm because over in the desert the Arabian people kept them in the tent with them, so the other Arabs would not steal them. grin miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Arabians do have a lot of stamina.That is the main reason most win endurance races. They are a hot blood or at least a warm blood and do require a lot of work. A well trained Arabian can be a joy to own, a bad one is the opposite.Once trained,they work as well as most other breeds,but you have to keep in mind that evey specific breed of equines have been bred to do certain task better than others.

Because they are smart and are on the hot side, I have found that Arabian mules are a bad combination. They are too darn smart,are nervous, and spook very easily. I do know there have been some folks that have had Arabian mules that have made out ok, but know a lot more that have not.

However,it is the individual animal that makes the difference and how they are treated, trained ,etc. Just because the blood line says Arabian, does not mean I would write it off.Same as a thorobred, morgan, appenedix bred,etc.

My very first horse many years ago was an arabian/quarter cross and he was a darn good horse.

If you can get past the over fed and under worked, go for it.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've worked with several (just trail riding) and I wouldn't term them as "nervous", but they were "busy" all the time. Always looking, prancing, kinda flashy...didn't care to be tied for very long. Generally just not "relaxed" horses. None that I worked with were headstrong or stubborn but seemed to like to learn. It almost seemed like they wanted to examine everything....like crossing a swift creek...a quarter horse would just stop and stand stiff legged until it crossed...the arabians would walk up/down along the edge until it found the angle it wanted to cross at, never stopped moving or balked just had to check everything out.

Just my limited experience, but it seemed to be common with the ones I worked with.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
We had two different ones. They was ok. After we gave a walking horse a try that's all we've rode since. Thy just fit us better for what we have done up to this point. So far they do everything any of the others have done just much smoother.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
If I liked the way a particular Arabian behaved or thought it had good potential, I'd have no reservations about working with it.
But I'd say the same thing about any other breed...even Appys. smile

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by toltecgriz

But I'd say the same thing about any other breed...even Appys. smile

Give your haid a shake!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I like a 50/50 mix. Arab and quarter. Endurance and brains.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The troubles with arabians are almost always man made. Not my type of horse, but good for what they were designed for; running thru the desert. If thats what you want in a horse they're about the best.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by RichardAustin
The troubles with arabians are almost always man made. Not my type of horse, but good for what they were designed for; running thru the desert. If thats what you want in a horse they're about the best.

Good lord this forum brings back memories!

Years ago in another life time I spent all my free time and half my work time on or near horses. Ended up working for a local horse breeding/training facility as the rough stock guy. Nothing real bad around there in those days, mostly green broke silliness. However, the owner was from up North and still kept show horse contacts, so we got several Arabian and Saddlebred horses in for either initial saddle work or refreshing of soured show horses. Man, they taught me to hate anything but a quarter horse! Nervous as cats, especially the halter horse lines the Egyptian Arabs. I hated them!

With one exception. I would have never believed it if I had not road the rascal, but one time we got a middle aged Arab stud in that the owner was scared of. He was hot! Famous for dumping her and running, she resorted to all kinds of cruel bits but couldn't hold him with nothing!

Turned out he was just over fed, under worked, and ill managed. He was older, had a thick neck, and resented being made into a Saddle seat pimp!

He was more muscular than any Arab I had ever seen, with a more rounded croup and more weight in the hind quarters. First Arab I had ever seen like that. Short coupled, powerful, almost my kind of horse!

Anyway, one day when all the bosses were off to a show I happened to be at his turn out pen. Horse was looking off in the distance at the hay meadow, like he had never seen grass! Just for the hell of it I slipped my personal stock saddle on him, and wouldn't you know a bosal made for my own 2 year old quarter horse colts fit him!

I was young and crazy and thought I was about to step onto a cyclone, but you could not believe the change in that horse! After an hour of riding across the meadow easy like, another half hour of chomping real grass, why he was plumb nice!

I would have never dreamed it, but if there is such a thing as a natural Arab stock horse he was it! I ended up loving that horse. After a week of such light hearted fun he quit bucking, had a good handle, and was a little responsive to leg pressure. Good attitude!

Seemed to me the owner was making him into something he was not, was scared of him, and was keeping him cooped up too much.

It was very sad when later the bosses all returned, became horrified that I had put a stock saddle on an refined show horse, and shipped him back home. The last saga of this story had the owner getting near hurt by him on a blow up, after all the bad habits returned!

Poor horse!

Last edited by RexM; 11/20/12.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rex you're a true horseman; can tell you had your mind open for the betterment of a horse, and pretty keen observer. Couldn't fit so many turths in otherwise.
Thanks for sharing that, was a good read.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
That indeed was agood read.

I shutter at times at what all these horses go thru in those stables such as you mentioned.When all the horse wants is to be a horse.

Locally we have the United States Air Force Academy that has a stable on the south end that military folks can keep thier horses on.Up until a few years ago,anyone could trailer in and ride on the Acadamy. Since terrorist threat, you now have to have a military ID to get on and that cuts any civilians out.

They have a string of horses that people can rent for trail rides and they are not too bad, but the boarders get a stall and a paddock.The paddock is about 10 ft by 25 feet.
Most of the time the horses don't get out of there but once a month.Some longer. There are all types of breeds and all are definitely over fed and for sure under worked. When we were able to get on,we got a lot of entertainmnet from thsoe owners when they did finally decide to ride those horses.

Last edited by saddlesore; 11/20/12.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
When I met my wife, she was boarding her horse at a big boarding facility in Missouri. The stories we could tell! I came to the conclusion a long time ago that most horse's would be better off if people would get a goldfish. Great to see on here there are some HORSEMEN who have a clue!

ppine Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for all the responses. Maybe Arabs don't tolerate mistakes in training as well as some breeds. I had breakfast with the owner of the 7 horses. The two that she wants me to work with are both brood mares. The 12 year old mare was "green broke when she was young." The 8 year old " has to be sedated to trim her feet and has never been handled."

Let's see 2 warm-blood mares, over fed, under exercised, one hasn't been ridden in years, the other has never seen a saddle. Call me old and scary, but I am tired of being hurt and decided to pass on the "opportunity." I told her she needs a professional to have a chance of making using horses out of them.

Last edited by ppine; 11/21/12.

The only cure for life and death is to enjoy the interval.
George Santayana
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
That does put eveything in a different perspective.Walk on by.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
The two that she wants me to work with are both brood mares.

Their highest and best use, IMO.

Spoiled, mean, nasty, ignorant....and those are their good points!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Even an Arabian makes good dog food sometimes.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
691 members (12344mag, 160user, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 68 invisible), 2,704 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,617
Posts18,398,496
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.