24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Years back I had a Liberty model #1/375, one that got away that I wished hadn't of. Great yote rifle...grin

And, I concur with those that feel it doesn't have much recoil.

Dober

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 11/21/12.

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thoughts on Ruger #1

I had one....it was pretty.....can't say anything else positive about it!

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I couldn't tell much difference in recoil shooting my No. 1 9.3x74 side by side with the No. 1 375 H&H. If anything, the 9.3x74 felt a little more "lively" due to the shorter barrel and lighter weight.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a SS/Lam No.1 in .375 H&H. Very accurate rifle with many bullets. Easy (though not cheap) to reload for and shoot with a wide variety of bullet/load/recoil choices available to the handloader. And even a 'downloaded' Holly is potent enough for anything in NA. Many here like the 260 Accubonds (I've shot the 260 and 300), but my friend informed me it is heresy to shoot plastic tipped bullets in a .375 H&H (so I went to the 300 gr Hornady RN and SP)! laugh

The first time I fired mine I was in a hurry to try it out and had loaded up some 270gr Hornadys with a medium-strong load. It was snowing/raining and the wind was blowing about 20+ so I just wanted to zero the scope and try her out. It was my maiden voyage with a .375 H&H. I will admit to being apprehensive on that first trigger pull; after all, this was the "Queen of the Mediums" used to kill everything walking in Africa, etc. I was stunned by the gentleness of its push--with that load/bullet.

Now, truth in advertising, mine came with a brake on it and with the Viper 2-7x32 on it and Pachmayer pad it weighs 9.7 lbs. I don't mind the brake at all, in fact, when I used to shoot at the range I enjoyed taking it out when the guys sat next to me with their shorty black rifles and spat brass and concussion my way!

Anyway, with regards to recoil I've fired hot loads (300 grs @ 2600-2650) and it was manageable off the bench (I set up my rig to sit as tall as possible). Field positions were of no consequence. I could routinely dial turrets and hit my 12" plate at 500 yds with a good rest. I quit when the energy at that range was still sufficient to rock the plate enough to tip my stand over WITH sandbags on the feet!

Took it hunting and saw cows but could only shoot bulls so no blood on it yet. I've strongly debated selling it as I've had my fun and am getting tired of recoil. I really enjoy my .308 and .223 now. Besides, I just built a 9.3 and she'll prbably be my go-to elk gun. Of course, all these guys who are lamenting selling their .375's might change my mind!

You don't have much to lose to try one. They resell fairly easy at the right price and everyone should at least shoot or own a .375 Holly in their life. One of the most versatile cartridges ever and the No.1 is just sweet.

One more note on recoil. My No.1A in .35 Whelen was nastier to shoot with full bore 250 gr loads and vicious with iron sights (sub 7 lbs). My 9.3 (20" barrel and 8 lbs) is also noticeably worse off the bench with hot loads of Big Game and 286 grainers bu then none of them are really recreational rifles or volume shooters so take that into account.

Guy,

Love that bear rug with the No.1 on it--beautiful.

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1B
The Ruger #1 is a light package for the .375 H&H but the .375 has a tapered neck and body that does not deliver a sharp jab anyway. The recoil is quite manageable once you put a serious recoil pad on the rifle.

I have had shoulder surgery and avoid all the big boomers but I can easily shoot a box of .375 H&Hs w/o getting beaten up badly.

They shoot great groups -- often to the same POI no matter the variety of ammo --and are a pure pleasure to carry and use too. As a one shot hunting tool you will not even notice the recoil with that simple fix.

One thing you should know is that the long cases have a tendency to hit the safety on ejection and stay there. A simple flip of the wrist throws the empty case aside with almost no delay in reloading. It would be nice for Rugeer to recess the safety a bit but....they don't deem it a problem worth addressing.

Good luck,
1B

You wrote above:

" the .375 has a tapered neck and body that does not deliver a sharp jab anyway. "

That's wrong and makes no sense! The taper of a 'neck' or case body will not affect recoil. Nor does the round have a tapered neck!

The .375 H&H kicks pretty hard and will kick hard in a Ruger #1.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
"Great yote rifle..."

Classic....

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Savage 99,

Sorry, I should have said shoulder rather than neck.

But I still maintaion that H&H cases do deliver softer recoil than standard magnums in the same rifles. For example I shoot Ruger #1Bs in 300 H&H and 300 WM and I can fire a 300 H&H w/o any discomfort at all, yet a 300 WM's considerably sharper recoil wears me out fast.

The .375 H&H has only has the .375 Ruger Magnum for comparison AFAIK and this H&H too delivers a manageable push rather than the latter's sharper jab.

The most evident difference across the board is case design and this has to be a major -- if not domninant -- contributing factor in felt recoil.

1B

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Savage_99
The .375 H&H kicks pretty hard and will kick hard in a Ruger #1.

I can vouch for that.

I had a #1 SS/lam .375 H&H for a while, I also had a 700 XCR .375 H&H for a while. Bare, the Ruger was 9 pounds. Bare, the Remington was 6-3/4 pounds. I moved the scope from one rifle to the other, so that weight is the same, add about 15 ounces for bases, rings, scope.

I really like #1s but the Remington, despite being more than 2 pounds lighter, was a whole lot less unpleasant to shoot. I suspect this was partly stock fit, partly the flexibility of the body of the remington stock in addition to the much better recoil pad.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1B
I ignore all laws of physics and common sense and pontificate my silly theories based on my ability to access the internet and repeatedly post whatever unfiltered and unvarnished senility flows from my "mind."

1B
What a boob.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
L
lance1 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thank y�all for the warm welcome. But seriously, I appreciate everyone�s advice. As you can tell I�m not all that familiar with big bore calibers. I�ve always thought the #1 was a sweet rifle, so I thought why not get a caliber to take anything from a bear, boar, elk or deer. It seems to me that I need to do some studying. Thanks again.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They make a sweet #1A in .30-06 or .270 that is basically the same setup as the .375 - Alexander Henry forend, barrel band sling swivel and open sights - and those chamberings will do all that you asked and be a lot easier on you.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JGray
I couldn't tell much difference in recoil shooting my No. 1 9.3x74 side by side with the No. 1 375 H&H. If anything, the 9.3x74 felt a little more "lively" due to the shorter barrel and lighter weight.

That's exactly what I was thinking. And the 9.3, while "lively", holds a somewhat weak candle to the #1-S in 45-70 when loaded to capable pressures IMO.

Originally Posted by lance1
Thank y�all for the warm welcome. But seriously, I appreciate everyone�s advice. As you can tell I�m not all that familiar with big bore calibers. I�ve always thought the #1 was a sweet rifle, so I thought why not get a caliber to take anything from a bear, boar, elk or deer. It seems to me that I need to do some studying. Thanks again.

Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
They make a sweet #1A in .30-06 or .270 that is basically the same setup as the .375 - Alexander Henry forend, barrel band sling swivel and open sights - and those chamberings will do all that you asked and be a lot easier on you.

[Linked Image]

This kid...my kid- all of ten years old then- had no difficulty dispatching this bigger-than-elk moose by himself with none other than the #1-A with a 270 chamber. That isn't to dissuade you from the 375 version, but you probably do want to keep this fun. smile

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Klikitarik

This kid...my kid- all of ten years old then- had no difficulty dispatching this bigger-than-elk moose by himself with none other than the #1-A with a 270 chamber. That isn't to dissuade you from the 375 version, but you probably do want to keep this fun. smile

Any chance you would you consider adopting a soon-to-be 70-year-old?

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
There's just something elegant about a Ruger #1...

[Linked Image]

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
My #1AS??In 45/70 thumps me way more than My #1 375H&H.I have shot quite a few heads of game with the 45/70 ,but zilch with the 375.I would think about a 1A in 30/06.I rate the 1A equal in cool factor to the Win.Featherweight!!!

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lance, I wasn't trying to be an a-hole and I'm sorry if I came across as one. I just sensed from the way you phrased your question that you may be new to rifles and hunting.

You can see that there's a range of opinion on the #1 in .375. I feel the suggestion by Jim in Idaho to consider a .30-06 or .270 is a very good one: Ammunition will be much more affordable, allowing you to practice more and gain confidence; the calibers will be much more comfortable to shoot (developing a flinch right at the start sucks); and the game you mentioned will fall to either caliber if you put a good bullet in the right spot.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by mudhen

Any chance you would you consider adopting a soon-to-be 70-year-old?

NO - when he can have a YOUNG 62 yrs old. laugh laugh

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bricktop,

Your all too typical descent into name calling and foul ridicule instead of addressing the issue at hand and then forging my name to a post falls a little short of your usual puerile vindictiveness. Just are not in top form today, or have you been taking your meds lately?

1B

Last edited by 1B; 11/22/12.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1B
Bricktop,

I will never believe in facts or reason.

1B
Don't wander off, Granddad.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I love the #1's especially the 1S model, however while I don't see the 375 from the standpoint of:

To me a 375 is a dangerous game rifle namely the big bears in NA. I would prefer a repeater if I thought I really needed a dangerous game rifle.

Practically the 375 is too big for what is truly required for NA game so it is not what I would consider an all arounder.

If I wanted an all arounder for NA game I would probably opt for the 1S in 300 H&H and even that is a pretty big rifle but much more suitable for deer elk and 99% of the hunting we all do.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
723 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 78 invisible), 2,681 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,683
Posts18,399,735
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.