Hop To
P
Paul_C Online Content OP
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
P
I want a .260. So lets just leave that topic alone smile

Do I spring for the Cooper? Or do I pick up an accu-trigger and accu-stock Savage? I love high quality products and will gladly invest in the Cooper, just want to make sure it's $1,000 better than the Savage. If its only marginally better I'd rather keep the change?

Anyone had or shot both?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes I have had and shot both. There is no comparison between the Cooper and a Savage.... well maybe that both are accurate. However, if you want quality, get the Cooper. I don't think you will ever have any regrets.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If the criteria is for bullets landing where you want 'em in a game-getter, it's a wash.

If the criteria is higher quality everything, it's the Cooper. (Don't mean it'll shoot any better)

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Same here. I have both and there is no comparison in quality, Cooper is far superior in fit and finish, but my Savages shoot every bit as good as my Coopers.
That being said I prefer Cooper and have no regrets spending the extra money
Good luck

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
If I had the extra $$ for a cooper, I wouldn't spend another minute dikking around w/ the savage. But do as I say, don't do as I do, I have a whole stack of savages.

If you're getting a Cooper, you are paying for a nice finish and a good piece of wood on the gun. The accustock/stainless Savage is gonna be remarkably crude-looking in comparison. If that nice blued/walnut look is what you want, you might look at the Savage american classic ... although you'll have to budge on your caliber ....

FWIW, I've been jonesing for a Cooper bolt gun in .250 savage for some time now

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've owned both and have another Cooper coming in any day now. I tried to like the Savage because I thought barrel swapping would cure some of my rifle lust. It didn't. FWIW -- I've never owned a Savage that would compete with Cooper (or Remington for that matter) in the accuracy department.

I'm not saying I'll never own another Savage, but I'm not in any hurry to buy one of any flavor.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wouldn't trade one of my Coopers for every Savage rifle in production today if I had to keep them.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I like the Savage, probably because I can't afford a Cooper....

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There is one legitimate gripe with the Savages, but the "bashers" haven't addressed it - which leads me to believe they don't shoot 'em (or at least very much). wink

Particularly get a kick out of the Remington superiority belief. Sure a LOT of aftermarket parts sold for those factory-wringers.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Volkswagen vs Lexus. If you can afford it, the Cooper is a much nicer rifle.

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Uh, I own both and I wouldn't spring for another Cooper. When it comes to accuracy both are equal, but the savage can be made to outshoot the Cooper by far. Real difference is in availability of parts and accessories, where the Savage shines. The biggest deficiency in the Cooper is the trigger.

I build my own Savages on the Precision Target Action barreled with various aftermarket barrels, and prefit laminated stocks. Below is a .206" 10 shot group at 100 yards with a .223 Remington Pac-Nor 1:9" twist 24' polygonal barrel, Savage varmint contour, using a Nosler 40 grain BT Lead Free bullet. All I did was order the barrel and screw it on, with headspace gauges of course.

[Linked Image]

I don't know how well the factory Savages shoot, but all of mine do superbly. However the Coopers are really nice too, especially the wood, they look like my ideal of a classic and classy rifle.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by WranglerJohn
Uh, I own both and I wouldn't spring for another Cooper. When it comes to accuracy both are equal, but the savage can be made to outshoot the Cooper by far. Real difference is in availability of parts and accessories, where the Savage shines. The biggest deficiency in the Cooper is the trigger.

I build my own Savages on the Precision Target Action barreled with various aftermarket barrels, and prefit laminated stocks. Below is a .206" 10 shot group at 100 yards with a .223 Remington Pac-Nor 1:9" twist 24' polygonal barrel, Savage varmint contour, using a Nosler 40 grain BT Lead Free bullet. All I did was order the barrel and screw it on, with headspace gauges of course.

[Linked Image]

I don't know how well the factory Savages shoot, but all of mine do superbly. However the Coopers are really nice too, especially the wood, they look like my ideal of a classic and classy rifle.

Nice shooting grin

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by WranglerJohn
[Linked Image]

The one rifle I really regret selling was a LH SS Savage 110 HB in .223 Rem that would shoot 5 shot groups almost as small as the picture above (.3's and .4's) all day every day with the factory barrel and handloads. Sold it off because of the tupperware stock back before I knew there were after market stocks for Savage rifles...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 240NMC, 270winchester, 007FJ, 64 invisible), 2,322 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,651
Posts18,455,483
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.