Print Thread
Hop To
K
kend Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
This is the Colt I drug home yesterday. The front sight required a couple of large holes bored in the slide. It was nicely done. The full length guide rod will not allow the slide to go back far enough to rack it on a full magazine. The safety is marked A Swenson and somewhere California. The pic's make the gun look a heck of a lot nicer than it is. I wonder if he accurized this Colt. Is the front sight familiar to anyone? I can take more pic's if someone has seen his work. I believe the trigger was added recently. Thanks, Ken
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
BP-B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
The gun has a Swenson safety; he made and sold them as aftermarket parts. If the gun itself was worked on by Swenson it will be so marked.

K
kend Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Thanks.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
It looks like a Millett series 100 front sight, a ramp with a large base on it, held in place, basically, like a rivet with two legs. Milletts didn't come with a red insert (red paint was available) so someone did a fine job filing a notch and inserting a red plastic piece into the sight.

Milletts were sorta popular around here for awhile, when one of the local gunbutchers decided to "buy a franchise" and install a buttload of the things. He about went broke having to replace those front sights when they went flying off the pistols despite having those two "legs" rivetting the sight to the slides.

Yeah, I had one of those front sights installed on a BHP, and yeah, I was one of the guys who's front sight went a-flyin', and yeah, I hate anything Millett sells, to this day.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Oregon45
The gun has a Swenson safety; he made and sold them as aftermarket parts. If the gun itself was worked on by Swenson it will be so marked.

Yeah, he worked out of his house in Fallbrook, near the back gate to Pendleton.
That gun doesn't look like something Swenson worked on to me.

Pete

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Member JamesDunn may be able to help. He grew up running around Armand�s shop as a kid; Swenson and JamesDunn�d father were close friends. Swenson gave JamesDunn a custom 1911 when he shipped out to Beruit back in �83.

Just from my observation, looks like Ratsmacker naild it on your front sight. My recollection is that Armand used the standard Colt�s style sight crimp but silver soldered the front sight in place as well. Millett�s were popular in the late �70�s and early �80�s and I�m sure Swenson has used them to a small degree (long enough to determine there are better ways of doing things). What grabs my attention on that gun is the grip safety; looks very old school like your safety. Back in the day, a lot of gunsmith�s used the MS Safari Arms grip safety and from the photo it appears that may be an MS Safari grip safety (I�d love to see more shots of it).

As to being a Swenson gun? Probably not, since many gunsmiths used and installed the famous Swenson safety.

Swenson guns will typically have checkering and he was the first I know of to use 30 lpi checkering. Most Swenson guns will have either a welded up and re-fit Colt�s barrel (most likely the case with a Gold Cup) or a Bar-Sto barrel. So examining the barrel and barrel fit could be very telling.

The most popular and common modification of a Swenson gun is squaring of the trigger guard. Also, most Swenson built guns will be wearing a hard chrome finish. And many of Swenson�s guns will not have an aftermarket trigger, as he often would peen and re-fit the factory trigger, then drill & tap it for an over-travel stop.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Swenson also was known for installing S&W K frame revolver adjustable rear sights, and the OP's looks like a standard Eliason.

I saw one of the Swenson's - exactly as Kevin described, some years ago. I could afford it now, but not then. frown

The syling is old school, but the craftsmanship was superb, and Swenson influenced a lot of people.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Member JamesDunn may be able to help. He grew up running around Armand�s shop as a kid; Swenson and JamesDunn�d father were close friends. Swenson gave JamesDunn a custom 1911 when he shipped out to Beruit back in �83.

Just from my observation, looks like Ratsmacker naild it on your front sight. My recollection is that Armand used the standard Colt�s style sight crimp but silver soldered the front sight in place as well. Millett�s were popular in the late �70�s and early �80�s and I�m sure Swenson has used them to a small degree (long enough to determine there are better ways of doing things). What grabs my attention on that gun is the grip safety; looks very old school like your safety. Back in the day, a lot of gunsmith�s used the MS Safari Arms grip safety and from the photo it appears that may be an MS Safari grip safety (I�d love to see more shots of it).

As to being a Swenson gun? Probably not, since many gunsmiths used and installed the famous Swenson safety.

Swenson guns will typically have checkering and he was the first I know of to use 30 lpi checkering. Most Swenson guns will have either a welded up and re-fit Colt�s barrel (most likely the case with a Gold Cup) or a Bar-Sto barrel. So examining the barrel and barrel fit could be very telling.

The most popular and common modification of a Swenson gun is squaring of the trigger guard. Also, most Swenson built guns will be wearing a hard chrome finish. And many of Swenson�s guns will not have an aftermarket trigger, as he often would peen and re-fit the factory trigger, then drill & tap it for an over-travel stop.

I had the honor of knowing Swenson well. I first met him when I was about 8 years old. He was a gentleman and a craftsman that had few peers. He LOVED the 1911 and he made working on them look easy he was so good at it. All guns he did are marked with his stamp on the frame. The stamp will have his name and address on it. He had 3 or 4 different shops over the years and the one in Fallbrook was his last. Sweeney's most recent book on the 1911 has some great pics of Swenson's various markings. I recommend Sweeney's book as it lays it a nice history of the early greats in 1911 customizing along with a nice practical history of the 1911.

As for the pistol....for a birthday present to me in 1983 my father and mother had Swenson do up a 1911 for me. It had a USGI 1911a1 frame, Pre Series 70 GVT slide, and a Barsto Barrel that my father provided. Swenson did his normal fantastic job on it with the K frame sight but did the a dull (bead blasted blue) finish. The gun was fantastic and wow did it work well. It was fitted a little more loose in the rails than normal but at the time I was stationed in 29 Palms and girt was an issue there for sure. I carried that pistol to both Grenada and Beirut. That 1911 saved my butt more than once. I was wounded in Beirut (big dummy here didnt duck in time) but my XO made sure it came back to me as he was a gun nut too. The gun was lost to me in 1995 from a break in at my house in Phoenix. That pistol had the right side of the slide on it marked with "Happy Birthday Son" on one line and "Mom, Dad and Armand" on the second line and "Semper Fi" on the 3rd. I would pay 1000's to get that pistol back today. Of all the guns I have owned I miss that one the most.

Last edited by JamesDunn; 05/23/12.

James Dunn

[email protected]
K
kend Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
James, That's a damn sad story.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The story could of been much worse.......LOL....I did survive and the pistol did its job when called upon....do I miss that gun...Ohhh hell yes.....but I have fantastic memories

James Dunn

[email protected]
IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Great Story James,
Thanks!

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Doggone it James - I sure hope you get that pistol back someday!

Good story, thanks for sharing it!

Semper Fi, Guy

K
kend Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Kevin, Here you go.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, that looks like a Safari Arms GS; OLD SCHOOL!! Very cool.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kend
[Linked Image]

It might be the photo, but it looks like the slide is sitting slightly forward on the frame. Make sure the cross pin (slide stop) isn't bent and the lower lug feet aren't dinged up where they hit the cross pin.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by GuyM
Doggone it James - I sure hope you get that pistol back someday!

Good story, thanks for sharing it!

Semper Fi, Guy

I hope so Guy....Semper Fi

James Dunn

[email protected]
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
James....thanks for sharing your Swenson story. I like reading anything about him. My Dad turned me on to him in the late '60s and wanted one of his .45s.Unfortunately it never came to pass, however, I am a real fan of anything Swenson. What a guy he was.

I too hope you get your Swenson 1911 returned to you.

Last edited by Dave93; 05/24/12.
K
kend Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by JOG
Originally Posted by kend
[Linked Image]

It might be the photo, but it looks like the slide is sitting slightly forward on the frame. Make sure the cross pin (slide stop) isn't bent and the lower lug feet aren't dinged up where they hit the cross pin.

Good call, thanks!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
James, thanks for the story.

Hope your pistol comes home.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
This brought back a few memories. I did a concrete job at Armand's house in Fallbrook, where I grew up, back in the 80's. I was fascinated with his speedboats, which resembled airplanes without wings, that were in his driveway. I was even more fascinated with his shop and the seemingly hundreds of 1911's on pegs on the wall.

I saw his jig for stamping his Swensights and Swensafeties and he even let me stamp a few. We talked a trade for the cement work, but I needed the cash, what a mistake to not accept a 1911 from him for the work!!

JamesDunn, thanks for serving and very sorry to hear you lost the pistol from Armand.

Kurt

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
208 members (358WCF, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 30 invisible), 2,144 guests, and 976 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,645
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.