24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Can't speak to Alaska but in general, plus-one on going bigger than you think at first. I went 24x32 and wish now it was bigger. Pour a thicker slab than minimum code. Good buildings start with overbuilt foundations.

If I were doing it again, I'd do gambrel roof (barn style) and put a loft up above. Also, even if you don't plan water, when you trench the electricity to it, do yourself (or some future person) a big favor and lay water pipe in the trench too. Just leave it empty and cap it off. Even with no formal drain lines put in (of course they'd be good too), a simple redneck mini-septic that can handle one dude washing hands and taking the occasional dump is not expensive or hard. At least in Oregon. My shop is below our septic system so it'd be a pain to get drains up to it...... which is why I didn't run water to my shop in my electrical trench.... and which I have regretted many times since.

Uh... what else. Go way oversize on your garage door. Spend the extra dough to run good high-amp circuits. No #14 wire for you! smile

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
BP-B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Joel/AK
My question is what does it cost to build a shop?,

About $30 per Sq ft.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Pat85

About $30 per Sq ft.

Maybe 30 years ago...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
No #14 wire for you! smile

That's for the stereo system.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by Pat85

About $30 per Sq ft.

Maybe 30 years ago...

Three years ago doing most the work our self. I'am sure costs are higher up there.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
No #14 wire for you! smile

That's for the stereo system.

Exactly!

I had to add my 220V higher-capacity circuit for my machines. I just went in steel conduit (because I had a bunch left over from my wall tent frame) on the outside of the walls. It'd be more better to just do it inside the walls from the get go. However the cost of higher-amp wire and fixtures make many guys cheap out and de-rate to a step below what they should have used. In my misspent years as a realtor I saw lots of shop wiring called out as marginal or worse... just go large here IMHO.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Joel/AK Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Appreciate the advice and expieriance. Helps me figure out a budget (realistically).

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
FWIW, if you go with a steel framed building, you have to install grommets where ever "Romex" type wire passes through the steel members.

Some advantages of running surface mount conduit are that:

A)you do it after the shop is up and insulated (giving you more time to make up your mind)
B)it gives you more flexibility on changing stuff in the future
C)it is more damage resistant

Have you thought about doing a Quonset style structure? You can find them for quite cheap where people buy them and then never get around to building the structure. A friend of mines dad did this down by Kenai, and I helped wire it for him (running the pipe et al).

One more thing to think about, especially if you are planning on doing it yourself.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Leave as many options open for the future for yourself or a future owner. Document on hard copy or disc what you do, for yourself or resale. (I'm way behind on my wiring diagrams - but it's still all exposed).

Do NOTHING to minimum code - go well over. If - for example, code calls for an outlet every 12 feet, go 8 or less.

In my shop/garage, I went for a double outlet box every 8 feet, each outlet per box being on a different circuit, 6 boxes per circuit (I'm not going to be using them all at the same time, but by damn, I want to be able to use several electrical appliances at once from a near-distance location without blowing circuits). I also put them on a handy 4' high location - good for shops, maybe not so good for residential for obvous reasons both ways..

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Joel/AK Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I do like the idea of exposed conduit. I could care less on looks, just functionability.

Right now there's a few options out here that already have a shop on the property. Saves money for a basic structure. I just gotta convince the wife on the house. Like I told her, the house is hers, the garage/shop is mine.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good luck with the wifey! For myself, it always started out with the house was hers, the garage was mine..... Hah!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by las
Leave as many options open for the future for yourself or a future owner. Document on hard copy or disc what you do, for yourself or resale. (I'm way behind on my wiring diagrams - but it's still all exposed).

Do NOTHING to minimum code - go well over. If - for example, code calls for an outlet every 12 feet, go 8 or less.

In my shop/garage, I went for a double outlet box every 8 feet, each outlet per box being on a different circuit, 6 boxes per circuit (I'm not going to be using them all at the same time, but by damn, I want to be able to use several electrical appliances at once from a near-distance location without blowing circuits). I also put them on a handy 4' high location - good for shops, maybe not so good for residential for obvous reasons both ways..
me to 4' high and every 4' to boot....i aint bending over for no body smile

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Finish the inside before moving anything in. Extending the roof on one or both sides makes real good dry storage for toys etc.

A friend made benches along the side with triangular supports to the wall so he could sweep all the way under the bench without haveing to dodge around the uprights.

A dedicated 220v outlet with a long cord on it to power a table saw or a welder is real handy.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
107 members (16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 14 invisible), 1,755 guests, and 795 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,701
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.