[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
Originally Posted by BrentD
Only 2 puncture marks? That was no wolf.

I'm sure glad we got straightened out on that. Nothing like having a REAL expert around.

Now if only D Pole would way in....

He probably will under some other user name like Rene.

NRA Lifetime Member
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
And a boxer in its prime is a pretty bad-ass dog. Might have been caught by surprise. I wonder why the other dog didn't jump in. Wonder what the other dog's breed was.

The other dog's breed was chicken. A boxer is no match for a wolf not under any circumstances. The wolf dragged the dog off before it was dead because in all probability it was in no mood to share it's meal.

Dave

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by MILES58
And a boxer in its prime is a pretty bad-ass dog. Might have been caught by surprise. I wonder why the other dog didn't jump in. Wonder what the other dog's breed was.

The other dog's breed was chicken. A boxer is no match for a wolf not under any circumstances. The wolf dragged the dog off before it was dead because in all probability it was in no mood to share it's meal.

Dave

Another way of looking at......the boxer was a dumb-ass......the other dog had more sense than to go canine to canine with a wolf.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Dave
If a good Boxer in its prime were to get a good grip right off the bat, he'd likely get the wolf to let go and look for an easier meal. This one probably wasn't able to get a grip before the wolf had the advantage. Wolves don't generally keep fighting any gripping animal they're trying to make a meal of, whether it be badger or Boxer. This is because if a wolf were to do that on a regular basis, even though his larger size might assure ultimate victory, he'd likely become lame from such injuries, become unable to hunt, and eventually starve to death as a result, thus not passing the genetic tendency to the next generation.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Where, pray tell, did you come up with this priceless bit of information?

Actually, I would rather bet on the wolf being a young mountain lion as that boxer would not have lasted as long as it takes to tell about it. And woolf doesn't go to the trouble of dragging his lunch off to a secluded spot before enjoying it. Plus the fact that these cowards don't hunt alone.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
That very well could possibly be a mt lion attack. A wolf attack would have probably been a lot messier.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
OK, allowing that the wolf likely coulda made mincemeat of that dog in non time had it been serious.

Could it have been a female wolf in heat? Or simply a pack outcast seeking canine company?

Them male woofs in the pack would take care of a female in heat with speed that would astound even Travis.

Pack outcasts are about 99.99% grouchy old males that just got their rear kicked by some young upstart and really are not out looking for a friend. And woofs usually go for the throat whereas big cats either attach themselves to the back of their lunches head or the muzzle. The original choke hold, if you will. smile

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
If a good Boxer in its prime were to get a good grip right off the bat, he'd likely get the wolf to let go and look for an easier meal. This one probably wasn't able to get a grip before the wolf had the advantage. Wolves don't generally keep fighting any gripping animal they're trying to make a meal of, whether it be badger or Boxer. This is because if a wolf were to do that on a regular basis, even though his larger size might assure ultimate victory, he'd likely become lame from such injuries, become unable to hunt, and eventually starve to death as a result, thus not passing the genetic tendency to the next generation.

Where the hell do you get this nonsense? Wolves are in the business of killing dogs and other wolves. Boxers are pets. Wolves kill animals as big as moose just for dinner, not for territory or some other reason that would motivate them a lot more. I live with wolves and they have zero hesitation killing a dog. For the last 4 years I have been very circumspect about checking the area I hunt birds in for indications wolves are present before I put my dog down to hunt. Wolves will risk a confrontation with humans to kill a dog. They will turn on pack of hounds when they feel like it.

There are no dogs that are wolf proof or capable of dealing with a wolf intent on killing it. If there were, people in wolf country would be using them instead of losing stock to wolves. They might work deterring wolves in Florida, but they just turn into wolf [bleep] up here.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Where the hell do you get this nonsense? Wolves are in the business of killing dogs and other wolves. Boxers are pets. Wolves kill animals as big as moose just for dinner, not for territory or some other reason that would motivate them a lot more. I live with wolves and they have zero hesitation killing a dog. For the last 4 years I have been very circumspect about checking the area I hunt birds in for indications wolves are present before I put my dog down to hunt. Wolves will risk a confrontation with humans to kill a dog. They will turn on pack of hounds when they feel like it.

There are no dogs that are wolf proof or capable of dealing with a wolf intent on killing it. If there were, people in wolf country would be using them instead of losing stock to wolves. They might work deterring wolves in Florida, but they just turn into wolf [bleep] up here.

I disagree, russian ovcharkas have been doing it for 100's of years. Lots of cattle farmers are using them in sconni now, i know more than one wolf has been killed by a team of ovcharkas.

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
IC B3

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The tale in the OP is bullcrap. A 65-lb boxer tangles with a wolf near the house, the fight carries across a creek where the boxer is subdued and held in the wolf's jaws, yet the boxer is fine except for a two puncture holes.

Yeah, right.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by JOG
The tale in the OP is bullcrap. A 65-lb boxer tangles with a wolf near the house, the fight carries across a creek where the boxer is subdued and held in the wolf's jaws, yet the boxer is fine except for a two puncture holes.

Yeah, right.

Yeah, that's exactly what I said, but the cognoscenti here claim superior knowledge. Another example of people who are only experts on 24hr.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Come on acooper....you gotta' let these tales of wolves take on dark age mentality....

They're invincible, blood thirsty and they'll rape your women....

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JOG

Yeah, right.

Yeah, that's exactly what I said, but the cognoscenti here claim superior knowledge. Another example of people who are only experts on 24hr.

Well we all know your an expert in that little room where they keep the TP. You tell on yourself with every post.

NRA Lifetime Member
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
You are such an incoherent little man 17ackl. That juvenile avatar and your stupid blather won't be missed.

You are the epitome of a loser.

Congrats?

PS...Have you noticed how virtually everyone ignores you?

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
You are such an incoherent little man 17ackl. That juvenile avatar and your stupid blather won't be missed.

You are the epitome of a loser.

Congrats?

PS...Have you noticed how virtually everyone ignores you?

You're breaking my phacking heart.

NRA Lifetime Member
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
Only 2 puncture marks? That was no wolf.

I'm sure glad we got straightened out on that. Nothing like having a REAL expert around.

Now if only D Pole would way in....

He probably will under some other user name like Rene.

He does actually. It's 100_dollar_bill or something like that.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
[quote]Them male woofs in the pack would take care of a female in heat with speed that would astound even Travis.[/b]

Which brings up thhe question of how inbreeding is avoided, since often a yearling female going into heat could still be in her home pack, the alpha male her father.

I was trying to google up the story I read not too long ago of a female wolf displaying a strong interest in a domestic dog and even coming up onto the front porch of a ranch house, turns out the wolf was in heat.

Didn't find it, but I did come across this account of where a female wolf in heat narrowly escaped death after a six-mile chase by a resident pack. In this story the injured female shortly afterwards drew the care and attention of a subordinate male wolf from the attacking pack, that male leaving its home pack. See...

http://archive.audubonmagazine.org/features0803/eyeingWolves-webexclusives.html

Aint saying what you wrote is wrong, just that wolves is complex creatures.

I'd guess the guy in the original story really did see a wolf, just as described. I'd further guess the boxer FOLLOWED the wolf after it ran off in response to the guy stumbling around inside the house and/or opening the door in the dark.

Again the the woods for whatever reason, wolf confronts boxer, grips it in a non-fatal hold, maybe on purpose, or maybe it was disturbed by the homeowner before it could follow through.

YMMV,

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have known of female coyotes luring love-struck male dogs out away from a farm house so the pack can close in and kill the dog. Wolves probably would do the same. And, on the other hand, I have seen domestic dogs running with a pack of coyotes but doubt that you would ever see dogs running with wolves.

Guess animals are a lot like people; ya just don't know what to expect next.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Absolutely Bigbuck that's why it's funny to me to hear from the big talkers.....Female wolves, when they come in 'heat' are kicked out of the pack. Interbreeding and hierarchy is preserved. If they don't leave they'll be killed by Mom (or another in the pack).

Frank Glaser has some great insights and observations on this....those that (like myself) have observed wolves do also. Folks that live and breathe their keyboard and have only observed wolves behind bars or glass are not 'good' sources.

For any keyboard commando to assert that they know what happened or what the wolf was 'thinking' I say a hearty GFY....

It's funny that no matter who or what the circumstances the 'fire will always do it bigger, badder and with more gusto. I've never seen more do nothing-tough guys in my life. Many of the photos of our resident big guts, old [bleep] and short pants prove the point.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 2 of 15 1 2 3 4 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

655 members (007FJ, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1minute, 1936M71, 68 invisible), 3,245 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,588
Posts18,454,274
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.