Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BagABuck
I am young, but I have plenty of shooting experience, and my dad has agreed that it is time for my first rifle. I am looking for a caliber that can take just about anything in North America and Canada with the exception of bear. I am a big fan of the .300 saum, but it's lack of availability is a huge negative factor, but I do reload quite a bit, so I can keep that in check. But... The .300 Ultra Mag. has a bit more FPS and knockdown, but availability isn't good. My least favorite, the. 300 Win. Mag. is the most available by far, and it does offer decent knockdown, but I believe it's over rated and lacks individuality, unlike the other two rounds. I need some experienced minds to help me out. Feel free to correct any of my errors and put in your input, it would be much appreciated.

A NULA in a 270 WCF just makes alittle to much since.
Thank me later.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Enjoy the thought, but have known and hung with folks from all ends of ridicule here, from Jeff to Larry and bunches in between.

Let me guess..... volume purchase custom shop, packaged in a cheap BC and a lightly worked over Loop.

$2400????

Close?????

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One of us gets paid to shoot sh it?

One of us gets paid to shoot the sh it?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Too high?

$1800????

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What�s funny is we both know Lil fish is a wannbe and you wannbe Lil Fish.

The day either of you two could figure out which was the dangerous end of a rifle would be a revelation.

Be happy in your little world where you never have to show up and shoot, just like your hero Lil Fish. laugh laugh laugh laugh

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tell me again about the dangerous end of a rifle?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Holy snickies bat man. Don't tell me you stock for less than $1800? You're better than I thought.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tell me again about how bad you wannbe Lil Fish.

Skip the silly Sandbox crap with me cause I know the deal. You ain�t a sniper and you ain�t a badazz. Not by a long stretch.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

Skip the silly Sandbox crap with me cause I know the deal. You ain�t a sniper and you ain�t a badazz. Not by a long stretch.

Nice....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Are we down to $1500 yet?

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I seriously doubt you could get it down that low. You've got to be in the 2k range?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So if you don't grind em up do actually milk em?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Wow! "silly Sandbox crap" like fighting for your freedom!?!?! I know it's not your style John, but show a little respect.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I thought ole Burns'y got an education on business from his "partners" ?

Even so...shhhhh, no one knows the secret recipe for Colonel Burns extra crispy or original recipe rigs.....

Bwwwwhahahahahahah !!!

Tony

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Weak sauce, John.
As its been said, show a little respect. And what deal do you know?

R.

You can run, but you'll just die tired.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

What a [bleep]' douche... If you knew the deal you'd keep your cock holster shut...

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by BagABuck
A good brake will chop that recoil down fairly well. Although I don't want to be "that guy" at the range. Now on to the knockdown matter, here's an example; A little girl went hunting at my hunting club last year, she was using a. 223, she shot the deer directly in center mass, missing the heart and lungs greatly, the deer ran a good distance and it was barely found. The exact same shot placement was used later on with a .280, the deer dropped right there. Shot placements is key, I will agree, but knockdown is a factor that creates room for error. A. 223 to the heart kills a whitetail every time, heck, a .22lr can kill a bear if you shoot it in the eye, but who in the world wants to feed their family with a gun that limits their kill possibility? I'm not saying that people should shoot whitetail with a. 338 lapua, but normally comfort starts in the middle, if you feel comfortable shooting something with a. 223 then go for it, but I don't. But all of it is based on shot placement and room for error (also know as knockdown). I am also starting to put my eyes on smaller caliber because of this forum though, I was looking at a .260 but I might as well use a. 308. I don't know why but I have my eyes set on a short mag, but it's hard to decide, if they make a 7mm short mag. I think that would be perfect. Thanks for posting it really got me thinking.

Sorry kid, but if you honestly believe that this "knockdown" theory will save you come time to pull the trigger, then you really need to go back to square one and learn to shoot with a .22 all over again. I've seen deer gut-shot with 9.3x74r's as well as a .375 h&h (deer were running) and neither dropped on the spot due to "knockdown". I'm still scratching my head at this one.

You only live once.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
WOW! Loved this whole thread. Man buy a 30-06 and shoot the thing until it won't shoot any more. After that get a big gun and a little gun and have fun with both. You can get a new savage and put a high quality scope on it and you can kill just about anything at any practical range. If you must have a shiny item to show off then do it, just don't expect these guys here to eew and aww over it. Read up on bullets for a given cal and load to get an idea on true knockdown power at a given range. I have an 06 and a 300RUM. Both Remington's but my 06 is a pump. It has killed game at 466 yards with 180grn ballistic tips with one shot. The RUM is new to me and time will tell if it truly has any advantage. I say do what you want and enjoy the recoil, I do.

If you don't have anything nice to say, you must be talking about Hilary Clinton.

When it's time to bury your guns it's time to dig em up.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Adds perspective,that Rogue kills phuqqers for a living.

Hint...............(grin)

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Man a guy brings up a two year old thread to talk about 30-06 3oo rum and savage. Awesome

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
644 members (257Bob, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 70 invisible), 2,869 guests, and 1,408 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,656
Posts18,399,278
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.