Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
get a .308 or .30-06. you won't go wrong with the setup Tanner suggested.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
GB1

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Originally Posted by Tanner
What is knockdown?

It's a myth .30 Mag guys made up..... happens to be the only trump card they have on the 7mm Rem. Mag.....

I agree partly on that, shot placement is 75% of it, but knockdown is the other 25%, and without a doubt not a myth.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm still wondering what knockdown is...

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I'm still wondering what knockdown is...

It's the only way to kill the Easter Bunny.... you gotta have a round with 'knockdown'.... preferably fired by Santa...

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by BagABuck
I am really considering a GA Precision-non-typical chambered in one of the calibers.

+1

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you'd like to know what I'd do (being another young guy, that has bought and sold way too many rifles already, and shot a LOT), here's it...

IF you are set on a .30...

Rem 700 Stainless SPS .308 Win
McMillan Edge Mountain Rifle
Leupold 3.5-10x40
Spend the rest of your money on buying a ton of bullets and powder, and become a surgeon out to 500 yards with it.

I'd hang pics of what a bone-stock 700 7 Remmie does at 500 yards, but that'd be rude.

I'd do either what Tanner suggested and or go with a 70EW/300WSM with a McMillan Hunter Edge compact wrapped around it. Or a 270 WSM or a 7 WSM as I'm not sure if the 70EW comes in these rounds.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Of those three I would go with the RUM. I have a 300 rum, shooting the 200 grain Nosler accubonds. I would be just fine taking anything in NA. No problem.

**Premium AR500 Steel targets for a great cause!!! Rounds, Squares, IPSC, coyotes, ETC.

****Check out jcsteeltargets.com****

[Linked Image]
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
What is knockdown?

It's a myth .30 Mag guys made up..... happens to be the only trump card they have on the 7mm Rem. Mag.....

I agree partly on that, shot placement is 75% of it, but knockdown is the other 25%, and without a doubt not a myth.

Yes it is.

Get a 30/06.

Pardon me for being abrupt with the young fella,but I bet he is no where near as recoil proof as he likes to beleive.Recoil tolerance has almost nothing to do with tough shoulders.

A 300 RUM (like a 300 Weatherby or 300 RUM)is a cartridge for thoroughly seasoned and experienced riflemen with very high round count under their belts,ingrained good shooting skills and innured to recoil through experience;not for kids or other neophytes who don't burn several thousand rounds of centerfire ammo annually and believe in myths like "knockdown power".To believe otherwise is wishful thinking.

"Knockdown power" is a very well placed bullet,and nothing else.

If the OP's heart and mind are set on a 300 magnum today I would get a 300 WSM or 300 Win Mag.They are the most practical, most available and (in the case of the WSM),the easiest to shoot well, which is far more imortant than myths about additional knockdown power.

If you can't get it done with one a 300 WSM or 300Win Mag, you should likely stay home.

Last edited by BobinNH; 11/26/12.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well I don't know how you can get a carbon wrapped 700 to come out 5.5 ibs, but in all honesty, I am really considering a GA Precision-non-typical chambered in one of the calibers, but still, A christensen is higher quality than a 700.Also the bolt is fluted and has a circular knob, which in and of itself is important to me, I hate the 700 action and the clinky handle. I am looking at 500 yards most likely, because that is within my ability, my budget is $3000 for the entire setup, I want the rifle to be lower than 9 ibs, and I have never come across a gun too much for me so far, from a box of 30-06 ammo in one visit to 75 .480s back to back, god just gave me a good shoulder.

A GAP Non-Typical in either .243 with an 8 twist barrel or a .308 would be a whole lot more pleasant to shoot and will handle the great majority of Hunting situations as well as the .300's.

Last edited by hillbillybear; 11/26/12.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have to agree with Bob, a 300 RUM is better left to someone with a lot of shooting practice on their shoulder. I have shot many of the various 300's and that RUM DOES have a very noticeable upgrade in the recoil department.

I have a 300 Wby, because I came across a great deal. Before that I had a 300 WSM and it was a great rifle. If you simply must have a 300 Mag, I'd go WSM or Win Mag. In your case though, with bears being excluded, there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with a 270wsm or 7mm Rem Mag either. You'll still get plenty of power for dang near anything you're likely to encounter in NA and you won't take quite the pounding on the shoulder.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If the plan is to lay out 3 grand on a rifle I'd have a real good look at an HS Precision in 300 WSM before you look at the Christensen.
I'd be willing to bet on which one you'll choose.

I like it here. They let me swear.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If you want to spend the money, I'd go GAP Non-typical in .260, 7-08, or at most a 7WSM/7RM.

If bang for buck is important, then something similar to Tanner or Dober's suggestion is a good idea. Rem 700 is great to build off of, and Win 70 EW in 7WSM would be great to toss in a McMillan stock and go.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Actually, you know what? Be the real cool kid on the block and start with a real rifle-loony cartridge! Get you a 35 Whelen! Enough power for even bears (in some opinions, not in others) And you'll still have a very capable cartridge that can hold its own on distance, and pack enough to punch to knock anything else over. Plus it has plenty of that "shock power" you are after.

If I knew better and could start over again, that is the way I would go, or possibly 9.3x62 for some extra panache

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
264 WM

Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Might as well just get a 30-378, while your at it get Forbes to build you a nice light weight one wink

Life is just one damned thing after another
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
What is knockdown?

Yes it is.

Get a 30/06.

Pardon me for being abrupt with the young fella,but I bet he is no where near as recoil proof as he likes to beleive.Recoil tolerance has almost nothing to do with tough shoulders.

A 300 RUM (like a 300 Weatherby or 300 RUM)is a cartridge for thoroughly seasoned and experienced riflemen with very high round count under their belts,ingrained good shooting skills and innured to recoil through experience;not for kids or other neophytes who don't burn several thousand rounds of centerfire ammo annually and believe in myths like "knockdown power".To believe otherwise is wishful thinking.

"Knockdown power" is a very well placed bullet,and nothing else.

If the OP's heart and mind are set on a 300 magnum today I would get a 300 WSM or 300 Win Mag.They are the most practical, most available and (in the case of the WSM),the easiest to shoot well, which is far more imortant than myths about additional knockdown power.

If you can't get it done with one a 300 WSM or 300Win Mag, you should likely stay home.

Bob is spot on in regards to a 300 rum being a tough round to master. Very few people can master a 300 mag and for most that can it takes alot of work.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Take a look at what Pat (Scenarshooter) did with a GAP Non-Typical in .260:

http://24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/6856648/1

I will also echo the sentiments about the .300 RUM. It is most definitely a caliber for a well seasoned shooter.

The two I have owned ( 1 Model 70 Winchester and 1 700 Remington) both had more felt recoil and muzzle blast than my .340 Weatherby.

If you must go .300 Magnum go with the .300 Winchester or .300WSM.

Last edited by hillbillybear; 11/26/12.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
As far as knockdown power..

It's the difference between poking an animal in the shoulder with a 110gr bullet and having it go a long distance, and poking same animal with a 200gr bullet going a high rate of speed and having it drop right there.

Night/Day difference between hitting an animal with a 338rum and a 30-06. I've done it a bunch of times, and the "knockdown" power of the RUM is rather impressive.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I am young, but I have plenty of shooting experience, and my dad has agreed that it is time for my first rifle. I am looking for a caliber that can take just about anything in North America and Canada with the exception of bear. I am a big fan of the .300 saum, but it's lack of availability is a huge negative factor, but I do reload quite a bit, so I can keep that in check. But... The .300 Ultra Mag. has a bit more FPS and knockdown, but availability isn't good. My least favorite, the. 300 Win. Mag. is the most available by far, and it does offer decent knockdown, but I believe it's over rated and lacks individuality, unlike the other two rounds. I need some experienced minds to help me out. Feel free to correct any of my errors and put in your input, it would be much appreciated.
..............That`s interesting!

Setting aside COALs and action lengths and going strictly on ballistic performances alone, the 300 Win Mag equals in every way the 300 SAUM and a little then some as well.

Curiously! How can a 300 Win be over-rated and be the least favorite in your view, when in reality it ballistically equals and then some the 300 SAUM in every way?

Being the most common and most popular 300 mag, the 300 Win may lack individuality to some (if that`s even important at all). But to define it as over-rated where the 300 SAUM is not over-rated??

But if you prefer a shorter actioned rifle, hence your 300 SAUM preference, then that is another matter. But for better availability in a 300 short action, the 300 WSM gets my vote.

Based on ballistic performance alone, and if you are concerned with better availabilities than either the 300 SAUM and 300 RUM, then the 300 Win is an excellent choice.

Did own and reload a 300 Win for 30+ years btw!

But if so-called cartridge "individuality" is of big concern, then the 300 Win based only on that alone I suppose, wouldn`t be the best choice.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
You don't need a magnum, a carbon-wrapped barrel, or any form of $3000 rig to shoot 500 yards. Obviously, it's your rifle so make yourself happy, but you really don't need any of that.

A .280, 30-06, .260 Rem, etc. will do everything you need and be much cheaper and easier to shoot in quantity.

RLTW
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 16penny, 10ring1, 51 invisible), 2,303 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,248
Posts18,466,936
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.