24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
got a new place to hunt today, a cut corn field i have been seeing geese in every time i go by in the mornings.
Stopped today and the owner gave permission but said cattle will be in the 40 to 50 acre rectangle shaped field in a week or two.
Will the geese still feed with cattle?
Or should i just chalk up the place for ducks down on the river.
Trying to think back, i cant say i actually remember seeing cattle and geese in the same fields? ???

BP-B2

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by splattermatic
got a new place to hunt today, a cut corn field i have been seeing geese in every time i go by in the mornings.
Stopped today and the owner gave permission but said cattle will be in the 40 to 50 acre rectangle shaped field in a week or two.
Will the geese still feed with cattle?
Or should i just chalk up the place for ducks down on the river.
Trying to think back, i cant say i actually remember seeing cattle and geese in the same fields? ???

Can't say I ever paid attention, but I've seen them in the same pasture as goats. FWIW.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cows will generally push them off, especially if it's a small field like that.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
i worked on a ranch in central Washington state and the geese would come in by the thousands to feed among the cattle.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you can keep the cattle pushed to one side you should be fine

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Cool. Hope to hunt there this week.
Thanks.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
It might be better to hunt the other side, rather than run the cattle, to keep good relations with the farmer.

Last edited by wabigoon; 11/12/12.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, depends on the cattle and the farmer. I don't know much about cattle except that they're big enough to cause a lot of hurt so I avoid them. I've seen cattle do some pretty incomprehensible things even without explosions going off nearby.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
On a 50 acre pasture, there is no way that you should be shooting around the cows. I think the farmer was telling you NOT to hunt once the cows were in there.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have the properties on both sides as well.
Have't seen any geese in there any more. No cattle yet, but wonder why they moved on?
It may be bigger than 50 acres, and he specifically said it was fine to shoot there.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I shoot around our cattle all the time. I've been known to shoot under through between their legs if they are stubborn when I'm trying to shoot groups off my bench.

All can depend on where they are and how tame/wild they are.

I've seen stupid azz cows come otu into a sendero to see what you are, and get wild eyed and you can hear em crash brush until you can't anymore....

I"ve seen em eat prickly pear cactus without wincing.

I've seen em shot under/over and never lift their heads.

of course I can go shoot doves down at the tank and 300 yards away is moms deer feeder and the deer are out eating the whole time....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
On a 50 acre pasture, there is no way that you should be shooting around the cows. I think the farmer was telling you NOT to hunt once the cows were in there.

Maybe, maybe not. We got permission to hunt a picked corn field the evening before. So we set up and about dawn along comes the farmer's son and opens a gate to let cattle in from the next field over, and yes he knew we were there. We picked up and moved before the cattle got to our side of the field.

Now the farmer knew his cattle were in no danger from us, and we knew we were in no danger from his cattle as they were used to people and shotgun fire not far off. But it was uncomfortable and not worth the off-chance something bad would happen. We moved to another of his fields. Cost us a few birds but everyone is happy and we can get permission for any time we want.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Geese will light into a field with cattle or horses to feed. They like to pick through the chit for stuff to eat.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
105 members (338reddog, 10gaugeman, 35, 32_20fan, 257robertsimp, 10 invisible), 1,407 guests, and 684 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,882
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.