Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Any studies by those entities in the military-academic complex, who benefit from the status quo, should be summarily discounted.

Your emotional connection with the subject matter stemming from your Military Service places your objectivity in severe doubt.

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -Isaac Asimov

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Eric308
Any studies by those entities in the military-academic complex, who benefit from the status quo, should be summarily discounted.

I'm done. Please consult your nearest hippie for all your professional military needs.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Well Geez, Pugs. He has a point. We should ALWAYS make decisions based on the uninformed opinions of people completely outside the field. That why Eric had his brain surgery done by his wife's hair stylist.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
RAH JAH that RR!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 6mm250
Specificly , the Supercarriers , are they becoming obsolete ?

Mike

Hell with our Goobermint, what the hell do we even need a Navy for? grin

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You might be right and I would quantify my statement to wit they are obsolete against a near-peer enemy; for "peace enforcement" or humanitarian missions against relatively unsophisticated adversaries, they still have some value.

Dood you been watchin to much sci-fi

[Linked Image]

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Come on guys, wise up; listening to the US Naval War College extol the virtues of Carriers is kinda like listening to Peabody talking about Coal or Exxon about oil.

To be even more blunt, the job of the Navy, like that of the Army, Air Force, etc. or any bureaucratic organization is to ensure its expansion and to get the biggest slice of the budgetary pie; efficiently defending the Nation is a very distant second.

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -Isaac Asimov

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
BULLSHIT Eric, you haven't a fuggin clue, when the Disaster hit India a few years ago, if that aircraft carrier hadn't have been there, the folks would have lost a schitload of more people. They are not just for defense, and that slice of pie crap is exactly what it is.

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Of course, cutting military spending. i thought that might be your liberal agenda. I wasn't sure if it was that, or global warming.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Supercarriers are an intimidating physiological show of force for sure, let alone effective physically.

I sure wish we would bring back battleships...they were just as bad ass.

The one thing I regret about my time in the Corps was not going out of my way to be deployed on a carrier.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ignore, done.

Don't fire unless fired upon. But if they want a war let it begin here.

Captain John Parker, commander of the militiamen at Lexington, Massachusetts, on sighting British Troops (attributed), April 19, 1775
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I would like to enter my completely uninformed opinion about something totally outside my field. That is what this place is for, right? I mean why ask such a question in the first place on 24hourcampfire?

My opinion is that if you are a world power of any size doing anything in the world and a carrier group shows up in the waters close to where you are operating, you are going to really think long and hard before attempting to do something that is really and truly against the will of the US. That goes for little podunk powers as well as big powers. Oh, you may try and be sneaky. You may go out and rally your people and tell them you're not scared, but you probably are not going to get in the face of the US. What makes a carrier group ultimately effective is what lies behind it, nuclear deterrent.

You may even have the ability to take out a carrier group with The Bomb, but you know that the missiles will fly and your sorry ass will be buried under radioactive glass in a short while.

Obsolete? No. Not for a long, long time.

Asymmetry and lack of commitment have been our twin bugaboos since WWII. We always get bogged down hunting wogs in places where a carrier's strengths are blunted, because there is nothing of value to bomb. Either that, or there is just not the will to go in an pulverize the wogs that are causing the trouble. However, those situation are not everywhere. We still have industrialized nations in this world that live in houses and work in office buildings and go to work in factories. Most of their populace live within easy reach of the coast and for them we have carrier groups.

Now, I have spouted off my ignorant opinion, and I am going to pick up Pooh Bear and go in the other room and watch an episode of Doctor Who with KYHillChick and Angus. Thank you for your kind consideration.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Damn Eric somewhere I read it's not safe to walk through the jungle with a ham hock tied to your azz. Good idea to hit the refresh button and start over! wink

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Your emotional connection with the subject matter stemming from your Military Service places your objectivity in severe doubt.

If anything, my military service has made me more objective, because those I care about and care for pay a high price for me following orders or dogma without full comprehension and objectivity on the mission and the tools to accomplish that mission.

Data => Information => Knowledge => Wisdom.

You're stuck at the information phase.

Another miss. You're zero for two now.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Eric, you should have quit after your first post, at least that way you could, could have retained some credibility in any future posts (with limitarions on the subject matter, like say "how to boil water"). Unfortunately, subsequesnt posts have left zero doubt to your estrogen-based thought processes and we'll just add you to the "Club of Fools" whose names are referenced throughout this thread.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
According to the sub fellows and the missile guys most of the surface fleet qualifies as targets.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
715 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 67 invisible), 3,155 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,752
Posts18,401,318
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.