-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm looking for any reviews that you may have on the ruggedness of these scopes. Will they hold together as hunting scopes.

I am interested in the Banner shotgun scope 1-4x32 or 1.75-4x32.

Also the same in the Trophy XLT line. Presently I have a 2-7x36 with DOA200, but might try the 1.75-4 in the Trophy

I like the eye relief of these scopes as these fit me like a glove. I am considering adding more but would like to hear from you guys as to whether they hold up. Thanks...Chainsaw

Take your kids and your grand kids huntin' and shootin'.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Can't attest to anything past the 2 1/2 three yrs. my XLT DOA 600 has been on a Why. 300, but its lived long enough to still be their. I have bunch of more expensive scopes, but I primarily put this one on the mag, and promised myself I wasn't taking it off till it either gernaded, or showed me it wasn't going to. With hand loads, and lots of trigger time, I can sort of rely on the "drop marks", so its good enough for me. Don't think I have ever used it past 400yds--sort of my personal limit. They aren't very expensive. Just buy one and use it.
G

"If you don't stand up for what you believe,,you stand for nothing"
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gkdir
Can't attest to anything past the 2 1/2 three yrs. my XLT DOA 600 has been on a Why. 300, but its lived long enough to still be their. I have bunch of more expensive scopes, but I primarily put this one on the mag, and promised myself I wasn't taking it off till it either gernaded, or showed me it wasn't going to. With hand loads, and lots of trigger time, I can sort of rely on the "drop marks", so its good enough for me. Don't think I have ever used it past 400yds--sort of my personal limit. They aren't very expensive. Just buy one and use it.
G

Already have a Banner 1.75-4x32 and a Trophy 2-7x36 and like both especially how fast you can get on target even without proper cheek weld placement.

300 Wby should be enough to test one out. I would just be using mine on some 30-30's, slug guns and some muzzleloaders so the test you gave them is what I'm looking for. Thanks......

Last edited by Chainsaw; 11/22/12.

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had a few over the years on everything from spring air rifles to slug guns and muzzle loaders. Too many unexplained re sighting ins needed.
Pass,save twice and buy once,IMO.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have ran multiple Bushnell Banner 1.5-4.5 on different Marlin leverguns. From 30-30 to my 45/70 guide gun I never had any trouble with them. Great optics considering the price, and very reliable. If it will last on a 1895G I'd trust it on most anything else. Midwayusa has them for $65 and to my eyes they were every bit as clear as the Leupold VXI and older Nikon Prostaffs. I have yet to look through the new Prostaffs or the new VX1, but for the price they are very serviceable!

Also wanted to add Ranchdog, a poster at Marlinowners.com and creator of the Ranchdog molds runs this exact scope on somewhere around 14 different Marlin rifles. That is a great endorsement.

Last edited by 444Matt; 11/22/12.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have gone to costlier stuff but was just recunting that the inexpensive Bushnell stuff seemed to be pretty decent. If curious how others stack up or you have a hankering to try something differnt in the general price range I will suggest a fixed power Weaver K series and I doubt I would be alone. Very bright in low light with really good adjustments. I like the 6x ones- the Weaver K6 -for about $120 they are remarkably good. Just an idea.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 444Matt
I have ran multiple Bushnell Banner 1.5-4.5 on different Marlin leverguns. From 30-30 to my 45/70 guide gun I never had any trouble with them. Great optics considering the price, and very reliable. If it will last on a 1895G I'd trust it on most anything else. Midwayusa has them for $65 and to my eyes they were every bit as clear as the Leupold VXI and older Nikon Prostaffs. I have yet to look through the new Prostaffs or the new VX1, but for the price they are very serviceable!

Also wanted to add Ranchdog, a poster at Marlinowners.com and creator of the Ranchdog molds runs this exact scope on somewhere around 14 different Marlin rifles. That is a great endorsement.

That is a great report on the 1.5-4.5 Banner and I would imagine the 1.75-4 shotgun version would have the same internals. Thanks Matt.........

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
kenjs1 Thanks for the tip on the Weaver scopes but due to bad experiences with Weaver CS I just stay away from purchasing their products. I only have one Weaver left at this time and really like the product, but I'll just pass on anymore.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I own about 5 or 6 of them...and with the Circle X reticle, I have taken a deer or two on the 260 out to 300 or so yards ( with a rest of course)....

used one on a 300 Win Mag loaded HOT with a 220 grain RN and it didn't hiccup once...( MV of 2950 fps )

all of mine except one, have the circle X reticle... I have ONE with a plain old cross hair reticle...built just as tough.. that one lives on top a 444, but I usually load that one kind of light, so little recoil even a nun could shoot that one accurately...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I put a 3-9x40 Trophy on a 7mm RM back in about '96. I didn't have a ton of money and wanted something to get me through a couple seasons.

I ended up selling the rifle to my brother about 10 years ago. Its his only rifle and he has hunted deer and elk with it every year since. This year it finally started to fog internally.

I couldn't ask for more out of a sub $100 scope. The POI never changed and it worked great for about 16 seasons.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Tried a banner shotgun scope on a slug gun once. It puked quickly.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have a Banner on a bang-around .223 truck rifle that should have quit a long time ago but simply still works.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

244 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 257 mag, 1eyedmule, 2UP, 300jimmy, 19 invisible), 1,441 guests, and 903 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,061
Posts18,463,312
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.