Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TDMax
Planning to do my own grinding this year as we bought a large grinder to feed our dogs on teh Raw diet.
Looking for suggestions on methods, blend ins, etc

I've heard grind the venison two passes. I've heard cut with pork, some say beef, some say teh cheap ground beef, etc.

Some grind both together and let the grinder do teh combining, some grind each independently then mix then regrind.

Suggestions?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by eh76
I have a fried that grinds in 1lb bacon to 9 lbs venison. I sure like grilled burgers at his house grin

But FieldGrade is correct in that it would be best if you tried a little of each to see what you prefer.

This is what the butcher I generally use does. The bacon burgers are AMAZING!

I'd rather have a bad day hunting than a good day working!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm going to offend a few of you here, but I'm sure you'll get over it. I've seen a few comments about "waxy" and "pastey" texture/taste on the palate after eating venison burgers with beef suet added. I've experienced this as well. However, if you take the time to trim absolutely every little piece of deer tallow from your venison burger trim and then add in the desired suet ratio, you will no longer experience the waxy or pasty texture or taste. The waxy texture is actually the deer tallow remaining in your venison trim. Eliminate that deer fat, and I mean completely, then add either beef or pork fat and it will be great. If you disagree, take some of each fat, fry a bit of it in a pan, and do your own taste/texture test. The deer tallow will have an objectionable flavor, odor, and texture, while the beef and pork will be quite tasty. Deer tallow has a significantly higher melting point than pork or beef, which leads to the waxy coating on your palate, not to mention it doesn't taste good. If beef fat left your palate waxy, no one would appreciate a perfectly marbled steak, nor would the cracklings from rendered tallow be used for scrapple, not would the rendered lard be worth a darn for making pie crusts and other baked delicacies (or fried if you're into deep frying in lard!)

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 2,618 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,217
Posts18,466,363
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.