Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Not that I can likely afford a polar bear hunt, and not sure I've really got a huge interest in hunting them, but...

Is there a Canadian market for the hide? Couldn't a fellow enjoy the hunt, return home to the U.S. with the requisite photos but no actual bear? Sell the hide to someone in Canada so that it doesn't go to waste?

Why not?

OK, there's no big white fluffy rug in the U.S. house/office, but there's the satisfaction of having hunted the great white bear, and photos to prove it happened. I'd be content with that.

Guy

BP-B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
A few friends of mine have purchased green hides from the Inuit while working up north in small eskimp villages. (Canadians) They then had them tanned etc for their own trophy rooms. Seems to me they only paid a fraction of the hunt cost so don't expect to get much return on a hide.I think the Hudsons Bay Co use to purchase Inuit killed bears and rug them up for the tourist trade. I saw some in Banff a few decades ago that were priced about the same as a new pick-up at the time.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Some of the large booking agents like Cabelas can provide info on a Polar Bear hunt. As stated you cannot import the trophy into the US. SCI has been working with other hunting groups to change the law, but its a long process. The hunt fees include freezing the pelt & storing in Canada until & if the US law is changed. Expect to pay "only" $30-40K for a package hunt excluding air & license. As in any type of hunting success is not guaranteed.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Woof. That is a big ticket item but not so bad when considering the sqare foot price. You cannot imagine how big they are unless you have been near one.

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
If some of these gentlemen have the resourses to hunt the white bears, they might want to put a little more with the hunt cost, and buy a house in Canada to put the rug in.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Tanned, mounted hides come up for sale in town here now and again. They usually range in price around 5k and up, depending on size and quality. I'm not sure how much it costs to tan and mount one though.

Here is one for sale now, no price.

http://www.yktrader.com/classifieds/details?AN=22260

Wabigoon, that is one expensive trophy room! 350k average house price in Canada. I just shake my head after growing up in the dirt poor US midwest.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
That was my point.
I have however, seen places much cheaper than $350,000, many I could enyoy nicely.
What took you from dirt poor, midwest to Yellowknife?

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
In a word: wilderness. Or maybe adventure. Either way, I don't regret it. It certainly wasn't for the cheap real estate.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
How do you enjoy the wilderness, and what is the adventure?
Do you hunt polar bears,or sell realestate?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have been reading some interesting stuff by canoeists traveling Arctic Rivers on another forum. Even experienced outdoor people traveling North in the Arctic, accustomed to Barren Grounds grizzlies lose sleep at night when they know they are withinn the range of white bears. Largest and most aggressive predators in the Western Hemisphere. That makes them irrestible to some people as a trophy.

The only cure for life and death is to enjoy the interval.
George Santayana
IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Some of what one reads on many forums concerning bears, especially Grizzly and Polar Bears is simply BS and is even dangerous. The largest bears now alive are of both species and the largest specimens of Grizzlies are found in SE Alaska and NW BC.

I have spent some time working alone in the mountains in this region, starting 40 years ago and seen my share of large bears up close. I have never had the least interest in shooting one and have never had to in self defence, but, friends and colleagues of mine have.

There are some VERY knowledgable bear people on this forum and I would take the advice from someone like Phil Shoemaker,over some urban type who packs a camera and is, frankly, a bit of a "stretcher".

If, genuinely interested, the books by Gary Shelton, an American, who immigrated to coastal BC in the mid-'60s, and listened to and learned from genuine oldtimers there are as sound a source of REAL information on dealing with bears as can be found. He was training a lot of the BCFS staff and other such professionals, an often over-used and falsely-claimed term, for some years before he retired.

His books are not expensive and should be carefully read by anyone who chooses to spend time in big bear country.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Good story on "The Current" on CBC radio about polar bears and hunting right now. They say Russia and China are the biggest buyers of polar bear fur. It used to be Europe and Japan. A good, tanned hide can get 40,000 USD in Moscow.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I have joked that my mounted wood duck wishes he would have been "born" rich instead of so good looking.
A $40,000 polar bear might feel like that as well.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
665 members (06hunter59, 17Fan, 09wingates, 007FJ, 160user, 75 invisible), 2,663 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,605
Posts18,398,346
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.