Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
U
usull Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
Just read that Winchester will be bringing out a new Rimfire Cartridge and it will be the FASTEST Rimfire period . Supposed to happen in early January . Not much else is known . Wonder if it will be a 20 ..... or something wild like a 19 or 18 ? Anyone know more about it ?

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All someone's gotta do is load a 25 grainer in the 5mm Rem Mag and they've got the fastest rimfire period.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I hope they come out with the 5mm in a lever and make some 25 gr like Yoder says. I have been eyeing the old Rem 5mm but they are kind of high. Of course any new Winchester probably won't be cheap HA

USE ENOUGH GUN (Ruark) and YOU CAN'T EVER HAVE TOO MANY (me)
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
My first response would be WHY?.....I mean, other than just to make something nobody else does just to do it...or is there a legitiment void in the rimfire calibers that are available now that maybe I'm missing? confused

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
40 gr 22 cal rf with the speed of a HMR smile

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm going to guess that it's a 5mm again.
They've got the bullets designed for the .204 Ruger to work with now, as opposed to when the 5mm RM came out. It will probably have a 32gr Nosler BT or a Hornady Vmax, as the first load.
The reason: lots of places here in the east ban centerfires, but allow rimfires, and people want better performance at distance with what they can legally use
In short, the same reason the .17HMR sold so well: cheap compared to .22 centerfires for non-reloaders, usable almost everywhere, superior to the .22lr, flat trajectory.

Last edited by Poodleshooter; 12/06/12.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have a .17 hmr. It did seem to find its own niche pretty well...it just seems to me that there are not very many gray areas left for the rf cartridges, I could be wrong tho.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Yawn. Another HV rimfire. The .17 HMR seems to have been developed for the eradication of western ground squirrels and nothing else. It is too powerful for edible Eastern tree squirrels, cottontails and grouse, but insufficient for Woodchucks and other critters of that size.

This Eastern Hunter would like to see an updated .25 Stevens Rimfire with a 65 grain bullet at 1150-1200 fps for edible small game and a 60 grain JHP at close to 2,000 fps for critters up to Coyotes to 100 yards. A fast turkey load would be nice too.

Since so few of us hunt edible small game anymore, there will never be a market to develop such a load not to mention the expense of developing suitable firearms.

Oh well...

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
my .17hmr seems to work pretty well on the coyotes round here, as long as I stay away from the 17gr balistic tips. I've killed 6 with it this year.
Other than that, meat damage on the tree rats or rabbits is pretty much relative to shot placement.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
KyWindageII: I actually burst out laughing when I read your post the first time - then in disbelief I read it again to look for some sign of satire, like you might be joking about this cartridge!
No luck with that re-read.
I have been using the 17 HMR on Varmints and small game since day one!
To date I have used my 17 HMR Rifles (and one pistol) to cleanly kill:
Coyotes
Fox
Badgers (these Varmints take a LOT of killing by the way!)
Porcupine
Raccoon
Snowshoe Hares
Rock Chucks
Skunks
Jack Rabbits
Prairie Dogs
Rattle Snakes
Wild Turkeys
feral cats
Grouse
large flying Varmints
Cottontail Rabbits
Ground Squirrels
Weasels (and Ermine)
If you can not cleanly kill a Wood Chuck with your 17 HMR Rifle then you are either trying to stretch the range beyond the cartridges capability or you are not hitting them in a lethal portion of their anatomy!
Speaking of Wild Turkey, in addition to the 17 HMR, I have killed them with the 22 L.R. and the 22 Magnum - simply strike the bird with your rimfire projectile at the base of their neck and go pick'em up and start plucking.
I 100% absolutely disagree with your depiction of the wonderful 17 HMR cartridge and its lethality!
Long live the 17 HMR.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B3

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
KyWindageII: I actually burst out laughing when I read your post the first time - then in disbelief I read it again to look for some sign of satire, like you might be joking about this cartridge!
Coyotes
Fox
Porcupine
Raccoon
Snowshoe Hares
Rock Chucks
Skunks
Jack Rabbits
Prairie Dogs
Rattle Snakes
Wild Turkeys
feral cats
Grouse
large flying Varmints
Cottontail Rabbits
Ground Squirrels
Weasels (and Ermine)
If you can not cleanly kill a Wood Chuck with your 17 HMR Rifle then you are either trying to stretch the range beyond the cartridges capability or you are not hitting them in a lethal portion of their anatomy!
Speaking of Wild Turkey, in addition to the 17 HMR, I have killed them with the 22 L.R. and the 22 Magnum - simply strike the bird with your rimfire projectile at the base of their neck and go pick'em up and start plucking.
I 100% absolutely disagree with your depiction of the wonderful 17 HMR cartridge and its lethality!
Long live the 17 HMR.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I'm with VarmintGuy on this one. However, I'd like to see something that will shoot a heavier bullet fast.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by IslandFirearmCoatings
Coyotes
Fox
Porcupine
Raccoon
Snowshoe Hares
Rock Chucks
Skunks
Jack Rabbits
Prairie Dogs
Rattle Snakes
Wild Turkeys
feral cats
Grouse
large flying Varmints
Cottontail Rabbits
Ground Squirrels
Weasels (and Ermine)
Long live the 17 HMR.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I'm with VarmintGuy on this one. However, I'd like to see something that will shoot a heavier bullet fast.

It works, but there's a lot of merit to KWII's assertions, too. Here in Kentucky, where the ranges aren't as long as out West, an old-school rimfire larger than .22 would have a lot of good uses. The old .25 Stevens, and the old .32 Stevens rimfires would probably be the cat's azz for our needs.
Alas, that's unlikely as hell, for the reasons KWII mentioned.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Originally Posted by IslandFirearmCoatings
Coyotes
Fox
Porcupine
Raccoon
Snowshoe Hares
Rock Chucks
Skunks
Jack Rabbits
Prairie Dogs
Rattle Snakes
Wild Turkeys
feral cats
Grouse
large flying Varmints
Cottontail Rabbits
Ground Squirrels
Weasels (and Ermine)
Long live the 17 HMR.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

It works, but there's a lot of merit to KWII's assertions, too. Here in Kentucky, where the ranges aren't as long as out West, an old-school rimfire larger than .22 would have a lot of good uses. The old .25 Stevens, and the old .32 Stevens rimfires would probably be the cat's azz for our needs.
Alas, that's unlikely as hell, for the reasons KWII mentioned.
What would those needs be ? I can't think of anything here {NY} that they'd be better for than the rimfires that already exist.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
They'd be the cat's azz for turkeys, groundhogs, beaver, coyotes,bobcats, the heavier vermin. Not that the current stuff won't kill them, but I think the larger, heavier bullets might be more decisive at times.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Let's see - someone posts that they read that Winchester is coming out with a new rimfire cartridge in the near future with no other information about it and there are already folks defending their favorite cartridge against it.

Wow! I can hardly wait until it actually arrives on the scene if folks are already getting this worked up about an unknown item. This has the makings of a long winters reading.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by boy1
Just read that Winchester will be bringing out a new Rimfire Cartridge and it will be the FASTEST Rimfire period . Supposed to happen in early January . Not much else is known . Wonder if it will be a 20 ..... or something wild like a 19 or 18 ? Anyone know more about it ?

I have it on good authority that Winchester is going to hollow out the rim of the .225 Winchester to add priming compound and neck it down to .204. 25 grain V-Max at about 4600 fps for varmints, or 55 grain "heavy for caliber" TTSX at around 3900 for elk. They're still trying to get a ROI on their initial outlay for the .225 and thought the market was right.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Well that won't work - they will need to use at least a 27.5 grain bullet and a 8.3 twist barrel for that to work otherwise it will be overbore and understabilized.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by drover
Let's see - someone posts that they read that Winchester is coming out with a new rimfire cartridge in the near future with no other information about it and there are already folks defending their favorite cartridge against it.

Wow! I can hardly wait until it actually arrives on the scene if folks are already getting this worked up about an unknown item. This has the makings of a long winters reading.

drover

I'm not THAT worked up about it, either way. I've been thinking along the lines of the old Stevens rimfires for quite awhile, though. I think they'd be funner than a cat in a blender.d:^)

Of course, I thought the idea of a .17HMR was kinda silly until I saw some cartridges, and it instantly said "hey, this would be fun as hell on prairie dogs". I listened, and bought the first HMR to hit town. Still love the little tyke, too.
It was only two weeks ago that I regressed a little and bought a .22WMR barrel for my CZ455, and I still haven't shot it yet.

U
usull Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
There appears to be a fair amount of interest as well as some skeptical attempted humor about this Rimfire Topic . According to Eric Mayer who is often involved with Rimfire Industry news , the Ammo will be at the Media Day Event ( for the Press )... the day prior to the start of the Shot Show , and that he will be there to report . It will be interesting to see if some of you guessed right .

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
They'd be the cat's azz for turkeys, groundhogs, beaver, coyotes,bobcats, the heavier vermin. Not that the current stuff won't kill them, but I think the larger, heavier bullets might be more decisive at times.
Can't use a rifle for turks here so nix that. They wouldn't be "the cats azz" for coyote as that requires .22 centerfire ballistics. The 5mm Remington is decisive on groundhogs to at least 150 yds. and a slower, larger bore rimfire won't best it.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
668 members (12344mag, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 75 invisible), 2,683 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,614
Posts18,398,421
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.