Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Popapi Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Looking for a pellet rifle(PCP) for my son. Really want to buy a GOOD one the first time out IE: durable, accurate etc. Tell me why you like as per your recommendations. Thanks in advance!!!

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not a pcp, but a Beeman R7 or R9 meets durable, accurate etc.

220 Swift still king.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The HW30s (aka: R7) would be a great rifle for him. Light, very accurate, easy to cock, great fit and finish. In .177 it's also very inexpensive to shoot. Last but not least, it isn't fussy about what pellets you feed it. About $315 at Airguns of Arizona.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Broken record... R7 R7 R7. I like this little air rifle a lot.
I did find a used Sheridan "rocker safety" for about $75.00 that has a little more punch (.20). It is a fun gun to shoot but is noisier, if that is an issue.

Last edited by MnFn; 08/24/12.
FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not many PCP available for the price you mentioned.
How old is your son.
The HW50S is a great gun.
Sheridans are a unbelievably good gun as long as a scope isn't on the want list.

IC B2

P
Popapi Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Been out Guys he's 10 Yrs old..

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Well then, of the two I mentioned probably the R7. The Sheridan can get hard to pump towards the higher end, but I guess you don't have to use maximum pumps either. The R7 is much easier to attach a scope to as well.

Either one is powerful enough to be dangerous if misused.

X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
For your 10 y.o. son, I would recommend an IZH 61.

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/IZH_61_multi_shot_air_rifle/76

It's perfect for a young shooter, and his size. And, you don't have to spend big bucks either.
I had one for a while and it's perfect for a small kid. Also very accurate with good power out to 40-50 yards. It gave all of my tuned HW springers and rammed guns a run for their money it was that accurate. NO JOKE, this is a very good and under rated gun.

S.W.A.G. it
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I guess I'll give another vote for the R7, my dad got me one 30 years ago and I and my boys are still shooting it.

The only thing is a 10 y/o might have trouble cocking it.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
For PCP go with a Benjamin Discovery. For a springer look at the Beeman R9 and R7.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Popapi
Looking for a pellet rifle(PCP) for my son. Really want to buy a GOOD one the first time out IE: durable, accurate etc. Tell me why you like as per your recommendations. Thanks in advance!!!

Go to the CMP and get an armorer reconditioned Daisy M853. I have one and it's dead accurate and the price is right.

http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/airrifles.htm

Last edited by Scorpion8; 10/22/12. Reason: added ...

Ret USN
NRA Life, NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ..... lasts forever.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll second the CMP Daisy rifle, as I ordered one. I will warn you that the Daisy is incredibly accurate, in part because of the Lothar Walther barrel they use, making one ragged hole at 30 feet. And it cant be beat for ease of use..It's a one-pump gun, that MIGHT do 350 fps.

BUT it is very much underpowered for anything like hunting. It won't even penetrate a marshmallow at 20 feet, and mine came with new seals & was chronographed to factory specs.. Its just a straight-up target rifle that would be great for a beginner, but dont think youre gonna kill crows or woodchucks with it...Think they're $100 or so..

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Popapi

If I were a ten year old boy & my dad was gonna get me a PCP air rifle I'd be hoping he bring home one of them Benjamin Marauders in .22 caliber...quiet, powerful enough for small game & from all I've read, they are deadly accurate & come with a match grade trigger... http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Benjamin_Marauder_Air_Rifle/1774 You'd have to get a scope too...it's a dual fuel & the velocity can be adjusted.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1 on the Marauder. Get one and never wish you had got it. I have one and it is ACCURATE, powerful and quiet.

Gun Owners of America & NRA Life Member
https://www.facebook.com/BirdDogBunkhouse57442/
"There are a hundred things that can happen at long range and only one of them is good"
K
K
i have a pristine condition benajmin discovery with a leapers scope on it i would sell for 400 (obo)shipped with insurance. have lot of pellets too. i got it from pyrmaid air. they mounted scope and shot ten times and chrono'd it. awesome gun. deadly accurate. i got it to kill starling around my tractor shed. it was fun but i got better results from my 12 gauge and hungry cats!

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I'd go for the Benjamin Discovery, remember with the PCP air rifle he'll either need a hand pump (comes with Discovery at under $400 but not with the Maurauder) or an air tank capable of holding high pressure air (usually at least 3K and a source to fill) The Discovery is an excellent air rifle that is insanely accurate. I consistently shoot groups at 25 yds that you can cover with a dime using mine, I also have a RWS 34 spring gun but haven't shot it since I got my Discovery. I started with the hand pump that comes with the rifle and it's fairly easy to use, depending on how big your son is you may need to help him top it off for the full 2k psi fills...the nice part is after it's filled you can shoot 20+ shots without needing to pump it up again.

In accuracy the pcp is the way to go, springers aren't going to beat it in all but the rarest of cases. I don't see many guys shooting springers at 50 yds or more but I do my Discovery all the time with amazing results.

P
Popapi Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Ok Dixie will look at it!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'd feel more comfortable turning a kid loose with a hand pump than a SCUBA or SCBA tank. I've owned both the Discovery and Marauder, but sold the Marauder.

Last edited by Timbo; 12/12/12.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd feel more comfortable turning a kid loose with a hand pump than a SCUBA or SCBA tank.

+1. I've been playing around with SCUBA powered guns now for a bit, and I'm not sure I should be turned loose on a SCUBA tank still.

I bought a used Marauder for under $400. It's a great air rifle, but it's pretty big for a kid.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sure hard to beat a springer for simple - cock it, put a pellet in and shoot. In the R7 or HW30 easy to shoot accurately and are high quality guns to be proud of.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
223 members (12344mag, 160user, 257 roberts, 257robertsimp, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 24 invisible), 1,879 guests, and 849 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,793
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.