Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Talk to be about going from one to the other. I've got a 1992 model BDL that I got and is in pristine condition. I bought it because I love the looks of these guns, and I love 700s. Now that I have it, I find myself not wanted to use it, because of the blemish free stock. I know I know, guns are meant to be used, and there are a blue million of these floating around, but, I'm ROUGH on stocks, going through the brush to drag a deer out or get to a stand, prone to being extremely clumsy and probably on my rear end as much as my feet in some places lol. I'd just like to keep the stock nice as I'd like to pass it on to one of my son's one day.

Getting back to it, after market or take off stocks. If I found a decent deal on an ADL stock, how hard is it to go to ADL. What do I need to add or omit (other than the obvious bottom metal) and how feasble is it?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Remington is not too much trouble as long as your rifle does not have the detachable magazine. Last year I made a BDl stock from an ADL plastic Remington stock and it was not too hard. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Or just use it as-is. Like you said, there's a bazillion of them out there, and so what if you put a couple of dings in it? Your heirs will look at those dings and say " Boy, Pop sure was a clumsy guy , huh? I remember when he put that big scratch on it when he fell off that ol' stump when he fell asleep one day. Here's a toast to the Old Man. Cheers!")

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
All you need is the ADL trigger guard, and the ADL mag box. There is also a tiny screw that holds the ADL mag box to the bottom of the action, I have heard of people skipping the screw and it worked, but I cannot confirm.

If it is short action, I believe I have ADL parts laying around.

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
This is probably the best rationality I've seen. I'll probably just hunt with it as is. What fun is a truck if it stays shiny and no scratches. I've got a dent in my truck, that isn't creased, that'd pull out with a good toilet plunger, but I refuse to because of the story smile

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I am guilty of doing this on my Rugers especially...

I have a couple of those Boat paddle stocks...a couple of factory laminates and a couple of Boyd's Laminate stocks..plus a couple of Hogue Rubber Stocks...

That is for both long and short action Rugers, of which I own about 8 in total...

I admit before hunting season each year, I set up a couple and sort of grab which one is going to fit where I hunt and what weather the day may bring..

if it is clear and I am going to be walking up and down a lot of hill sides, then I'll probably grab the Zytel boat paddle rifle..

if the weather is going to be crap and I'll be in and out of a lot of brush, I'll grab the rifle I have a Hogue Rubber stock on..

if it is a bright sunny down, and I'll be doing a lot of slow walking and spotting, I'll probably grab one with the Laminate stock on it..

I change these Rugers around all the time..

I have a Model 70 short action, I do switch barrels on..
I have 4 different stocks for that one..
the factory wood one, that came with the factory 243 barrel..

then I can change the bolt and put a heavy magnum barrel on it and chambered in 223, and use either a Hogue Rubber Stock or a Boyd's thumbhole laminate on it..

or I can put a 260 Rem Barrel on it, that is also heavy magnum contoured.. currently that is wearing a Win Factory Synthetic stock...

the first stock came on the rifle.. the Boyd's I paid $100 for, from Boyd's...the Hogue, I bought on the Campfire Classifieds for $50 shipped..and the Synthetic Factory Stock, a friend gave me that for free... he wanted a Mickey stock on his instead...

so I don't have a ton of money tied up into the flexibility..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (1OntarioJim, 224th, 222Sako, 204guy, 222ND, 10gaugeman, 39 invisible), 1,986 guests, and 1,121 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,065
Posts18,463,483
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.