Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
[Linked Image]

laugh But it sure beats paying for electricity.

Last edited by the_shootist; 12/08/12.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

BP-B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Looks good
I took delivery last winter of five cords of hard sugar maple. I was very fortunate that the logger charged me the same price as birch & popple.

The nice thing about cutting & splitting is the wood warms you twice.

Where in NW Ontario are you located?

Tom

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To burn next fall?

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T

Straight north of International Falls by a couple hours.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by roundoak
To burn next fall?

Nope. This winter. I have about a cord and a half left over from last winter, and this four will see us the rest of the way through this winter, and half way through next winter. The house is built for the 40 below we get and we rarely burn a full 4 cords.

Brother Keith

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Outdoor furnace?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
That is a nice pile of good honest hard work, right there.

R.

You can run, but you'll just die tired.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by the_shootist

Straight north of International Falls by a couple hours.

By Kenora or futher north?

I have been fishing/Moose hunting/ Partridge hunting the Ignace area/ Atikokan area for over fourty years. Via canoe/ power boat.
You sir do truely live in God's country.
Do you know Barry Brown out of Browns Clearwater?

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
It might not hurt to post a guard dog at the pile tonight. It seems to be coveted by a few folks.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
Outdoor furnace?

Nope -- indoor forced air Hunter wood/electric. Try to use the electric sparingly when it goes much below freezing, which it is now. Small house, lots of insulation, and decent windows and doors. Wood basement makes a difference too. It has all worked great for the last 27 years.

Brother Keith

IC B3

Rog Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Nice pile of wood Keith!
I cut mine while out hunting this fall,hunt in the am,cut wood in the pm.That way I could justify all the hunting I did this fall smile

"You gotta accomplish something every day. When you go to bed at night ask yourself what you did today, there better be something on the list" Robin Carlson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Keith,

I'm guessing you have a large electric saw and a good splitter for processing that quantity of wood each year.

Jim

T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
I have a Husqvarna 61 cc chainsaw and a gas powered hydraulic splitter, as well as an 8 pound splitting maul. Works good. And I need the exercise. wink

Brother Keith

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To burn next fall?

Nope. This winter. I have about a cord and a half left over from last winter, and this four will see us the rest of the way through this winter, and half way through next winter. The house is built for the 40 below we get and we rarely burn a full 4 cords.

Wouldn't it still be kinda wet depending on when it was cut?

I'm buying my wood shortly for next year. I live in town, so it comes cut & split. $250/cord.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nope -- indoor forced air Hunter wood/electric. Try to use the electric sparingly when it goes much below freezing, which it is now. Small house, lots of insulation, and decent windows and doors. Wood basement makes a difference too. It has all worked great for the last 27 years.

What's a "wood basement"?

T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
Rather than have either a concrete block, or poured concrete wall basement, you dig your hole in the ground and build a wooden frame basement out of PWF wood and plywood (stands for Permanent Wood Foundation) You build walls the same as for the rest of the house, only the wood and plywood are treated for sub grade. Used to be warranteed for 40 years, but Mine is showing no signs of trouble yet, so who knows. You then build the house on top of that, and you can insulate the basement walls and then sheet them in. I have 6" of insulation in my basement walls. Works good, and it is super dry. Even my floor is wood. The only concrete in the whole house is what my furnace and chimney are sitting on. The footings are wood as well.

Flame on! laugh

Brother Keith

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SuperCub
To burn next fall?

Wouldn't it still be kinda wet depending on when it was cut?

Just to expand on supercub's question. The timber species I cut for firewood to burn in the fireplace, and free standing wood stoves is stacked and dried for a minimum of 12 months. What species of wood are you burning?

T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
We don't live around any of the "typical" hardwoods that you folks likely burn, like oak or elm or maple. My house is smallish, and I burn about 3.25 or 3.5 cords of mixed white spruce and jack pine a year. This stuff was cut and left full length with the needles on it which sucks the moisture out of it pretty good. Some of it was standing dead, so it doesn't get much dryer. But ya know what? I'll admit that I probably do everything wrong when it comes to firewood and burning it for heat. I'm a relative newcomer to it - only been doing it for a little under 30 years. With y'all's help, I could really save some money. wink

Edited to add a bunch of smiley faces to let you know I am writing tongue in cheek. laugh laugh laugh

and the words to a song:

I'm just a boy whose intentions are good,
O, Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

grin grin grin grin (is that enough)

BTW, supercub, for the price of a cord and a half of your wood, I can heat my house for about a year and a half. (On garbage wood improperly handled. laugh )

Last edited by the_shootist; 12/09/12.

Brother Keith

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Brother Keith, not for a second to question your credentials as a wood heating guru, there is some birch, poplar, and a smattering of black ash around as well.
I have heard for years to mix the woods if you have them.
Having said all that, if it turns out you have an unmangable surplus of the pine, and spruce, you know where to deliver it.
Thank you kindly in advance!

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
I have used birch, poplar and ash, and the house was so hot I had to open all the windows and doors, and Al Gore complained I was in a large part responsible for global warming. Seasoned pine and spruce work well for me -- lots of heat, but more controlable.

Come on up, and I'll give you enough for a weekend. wink

Brother Keith

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
613 members (2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 61 invisible), 2,461 guests, and 1,126 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,599
Posts18,398,245
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.