Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Any views on the differences of these two scopes?

Doug has the vortex on sale right now. Both scopes have the BDC type recticle and are very similar otherwise. I have Nikon scopes but never a Vortex. Just wanted some reviews if possible.

Thanks for your time.

BP-B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have a Viper 2-7 with a Versa Plex C3 reticle. It is an excellent scope that can take a pounding. The only thing I don't like on it is the direction I have to turn the zoom magnifier. It is the opposite of my Zeiss scopes. Other than that, no issues.

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by WinModel70
The only thing I don't like on it is the direction I have to turn the zoom magnifier. It is the opposite of my Zeiss scopes. Other than that, no issues.

Very interesting. You'd think that the scope folks would have that standardized by now.

Somebody was not paying attention, that's for sure.

Kinda like those stupid BRNO actions with the back-assward safeties. I have no doubt that has gotten a few folks KILLED.

God Bless,

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I've had a Monarch 2-8 for several years and recently purchased the Viper in 2-7. I'd rate the Nixon higher than the Viper in clarity around the edges, but other than that haven't used the Viper enough to say any more. Both are plenty sharp at the center where it matters.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by JGray
I've had a Monarch 2-8 for several years and recently purchased the Viper in 2-7. I'd rate the Nixon higher than the Viper in clarity around the edges, but other than that haven't used the Viper enough to say any more. Both are plenty sharp at the center where it matters.

My eyes find the clarity thing swapped, but like JGray says, they're pretty comparable. I compared the standard "plex" reticles in each, & my eyes preferred the Vortex.

We're all different, but you're not likely to be displeased with either scope.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I run the Vortex Viper 2-7x32 on my RRA ATH AR-15 hunting rifle for Coyotes.....like the scope a lot!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just recieved a Viper 2-7x32 for my AR-15 and all I can say is this is one hell of buy!!!! It has very similar eye relief to the VX-II 2-7's I have had, the glass is really really good...better than VX-II IMO, and the thing has awesome windage and elevation dials that can be easily zero'd buy pulling up and turning the dial to zero and then you basically have a turret with numbered MOA adjustments and you can easily return to zero. The one I got has the dead hold BDC and the crosshairs are just the right thickness and crisp, and though I am not a fan of some of the BDC dots, these seem very useable to me as I looked through it down the street 200-300 yards. Only thing left to do is head to the range and test it out. This has to be the best buy out there for Dougs current deal of $199. I know they sold for $30 less back when Vortex discontinued them but this is one sweet little scope. I give this baby a thumbs up and if you like VX-II 2-7's you really need to give one of these a try for $100 less right now!

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
Originally Posted by JGray

My eyes find the clarity thing swapped, but like JGray says, they're pretty comparable. I compared the standard "plex" reticles in each, & my eyes preferred the Vortex.

We're all different, but you're not likely to be displeased with either scope.

FC

I've been moving some scopes around on different rifles over the last few days so have made a point to spend some time comparing these two scopes side by side. I think I'll retract my previous vote for the Nikon and give the edge to the Vortex. The Viper does appear just slightly brighter and sharper to my eyes (this week, anyway grin). I have the BDC "circles" on the Nikon and don't care for them - too cluttered for me. I have the BDC dots on the Vortex and like it better. I think if I were shoppping for a new scope today in that price range, I'd be looking at Vortex first.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by dogzapper

Originally Posted by WinModel70
The only thing I don't like on it is the direction I have to turn the zoom magnifier. It is the opposite of my Zeiss scopes. Other than that, no issues.

Kinda like those stupid BRNO actions with the back-assward safeties. I have no doubt that has gotten a few folks KILLED.

God Bless,

Steve

I had one of those on my CZ 22 rifle.Fuggin squirrel came for my nutz.Tramatic experience!!!! shocked

Last edited by Huntz; 12/13/12.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just got back from the range and I have to add that the little 2-7 viper tracks perfectly and clicks are solid.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I own a Vortex Viper in the 2-7x32. It is a clear scope as everyone says and tracks well. Having said that I can't get use to the view through the eye box.I always feel like I'm looking through a toilet paper roll.

The view of the Monarch seems better to me. One day I'll replace the Viper with a Monarch or an Elite.

Dan

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dan I actually worried about that before getting it and have heard of some scopes being real notorious about that , the Burris FF being one of them. But I havent experienced it looking through this scope. Keep in mind mine is mounted 2.6" above the bore on a Colt AR so its quite a bit different than a bolt gun.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Vortex replaced a Leupold vari-x II of the same magnification. The Leupolds's sight picture was full edge to edge. Unfortunetly my eyes aged and the optics of the old Leupold weren't up to snuff anymore. I took the Vortex off and replaced it with a Bushnell Elite 3-9x40 from a different rifle.

My little 7x57 mannlicher styled carbine deserves another 2-7 though.

Dan

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Dan, I used to have a 7mm Mauser, great little gun. I inherited from my grandfather who bought it in the early 50's. He hunted all over the world with that rifle. Unfortunately it was righthanded and I'm not. I passed it along to a good buddy who completely reworked the rifle and gave it new life and greater accuracy. It now wear's a Nikon MONARCH 2-5-10x42 BDC Scope and shoot's .75 MOA all day. Those Mauser action's are a thing of beauty.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
649 members (01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 69 invisible), 2,793 guests, and 1,347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,654
Posts18,399,211
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.