Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Reloder28
For me, recoil is mind over bloody knuckles. My most severe handgun would bruise my fingers and leave me with a bloody knuckle or two even with a shooting glove on. It was the most accurate handgun I have ever fired at 100 yds. THerefore I pressed on through the pain to achieve the goal of accurate effective hunting loads. But, there was no need for the punishment.

I have resolved myself to hunting with my 45 Colt and it is fun to hunt with. I do have a 460 XVR 8 3/8" barrel but will ease myself into familiarity with it. There is no need for punishing recoil.
The 45 colt is one of the best calibers when properly loaded. Definetly my personal favorite!

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One of my all-time favorites as well!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by gunchamp

The 45 colt is one of the best calibers when properly loaded. Definetly my personal favorite!

My personal favorite as well, not much a 45 Colt can't handle

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by cobrad
I picked up a pristine Freedom Arms Premier 454 Casull this fall. The gun came with 9 factory 260 gr. rounds. Holy Toledo! This baby is fierce! My previous big bore experience was with a .44 mag, but this is another cat.
I read a lot about the Linebaughs, especially the 475, and the 50 cals, but not so much about the 454 anymore. I did read a comment recently that said if you can shoot the 454 you can shoot any of the rest, and the 454 probably recoils "harder" almost any of the other big ones. I am guessing this could be a function of very fast recoil velocity due to the high velocity of the round, but I don't have enough experience with big bore handguns like this to know.
I would like to hear opinions from you handgun guru's.
I am currently loading practice rounds to 45 Colt velocities, and heavier hunting rounds to top .44 velocities.

The 475L, 500L, 500 JRH in a FA or Ruger all recoil more with top loads than a 454. A 475 loaded to 1200 fps instead of 1400fps is much more shootable load and lacks nothing on game

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RickyD

Actually, a 357 had me calling uncle. Full house 357 handloads out of a 12 oz scandium framed gun are more brutal than any handgun I've fired to date. The gun can take it (though a very tight crimp is required) but I can't. My hand was bruised for weeks after 7 rounds with hard plastic CTC grips.

This mirrors my experience with the same pistol. The only pistol I've ever shot a dozen times and then sold because it was so miserable....

Regards,

Tom
IC B2

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
It does make a very good 38+P revolver, though. The holster can weigh more than the gun. smile

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ive hunted with a 8 3/8" or more recently a 10 5/8" 44 mag S&W and a 10" 445 dan wesson super mag for decades, when the 500 s&w came out I was convinced for awhile I had to have one, but after trying a few dozen shots from a friends 500, S&W and found it a bit too large and heavy and I began,looking back at the results Ive had with my current revolvers, I no longer see the need, so Ill continue with what I have a 44 mag with a 10" barrel has zero problems pushing a hard cast 300 grain past 1400 fps and the 445 pushes the same bullets to near 1600fps (basically the 454 power range) both pistols shoot thru large hogs and exit.
if your punching fairly large holes thru game from most angles and having the bullets exit I don,t see added power as a huge plus.
and while Id easily admit a 500 S&W or 454 can be loaded to hit harder I don,t see the need, the largest game Im ever likely to hunt is black bear or ELK and either of my current revolvers has been well proven to be more than adequate so why go the extra cost or put up with more recoil.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000152660650

http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/default.asp?Caliber=44%20Magnum&Weight=All&type=Handgun

http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/d...type=Handgun&Order=Powder&Source

Last edited by 340mag; 12/10/12.
C
cobrad Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I agree. There is a point where enough is enough. When I bought the 454 I was actually looking for another Freedom Arms .44 mag. There are a few dozen used 454's available on the gun auction sites at any time, and I found one locally that was absolutely pristine, right down to the price tag still in the box. I got it at too good a price to pass up, and I reload so it is no problem tailoring loads. I don't know that I'll ever shoot full house loads as I find them to be vicious to shoot, and unnecessary for killing elk.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by gunchamp

My personal favorite as well, not much a 45 Colt can't handle

So, why must we learn this the hard way? Did we really think we could do better?

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I have been having issues with my RB .454 when shooting deer. I seem to never get a blood trail and the deer runs away like it has not been hit and i have lost more deer than found.

I have used a couple bullets, and the same result. I am thinking that the bullet is blowing through too fast and not mushrooming or creating a initial shock. I currently am using hornady 300gr. XTP mag's loaded at book max.

My chrono says 1,450 fps when the book says 1,600 with the same length barrel. Would i be better loading a 250gr. barnes or partition?

I find the recoil more sharp and fast than my buds .50AE which is more of a push.

IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by j1r11
I have been having issues with my RB .454 when shooting deer. I seem to never get a blood trail and the deer runs away like it has not been hit and i have lost more deer than found.

I have used a couple bullets, and the same result. I am thinking that the bullet is blowing through too fast and not mushrooming or creating a initial shock. I currently am using hornady 300gr. XTP mag's loaded at book max.

My chrono says 1,450 fps when the book says 1,600 with the same length barrel. Would i be better loading a 250gr. barnes or partition?

I find the recoil more sharp and fast than my buds .50AE which is more of a push.

whistle

How far are they away?

You know, if you could tree or trap them and get good and close, I'll bet they'll work 30 percent quicker than a wide, flat cast or softnose cast.... laugh

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by HawkI
Originally Posted by j1r11

whistle

How far are they away?

You know, if you could tree or trap them and get good and close, I'll bet they'll work 30 percent quicker than a wide, flat cast or softnose cast.... laugh

last one was 15yds broadside, farthest was 40 yds.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Shoot for bone.

Sorry for the sarcasm; it had me thinking about another thread.

Quite honestly I've seen similar results from the XTP.

Have you tried the Freedom Arms JSP's?

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Shoot for bone.

No go on the bone, shot 2 at 20 yds quarter to, i aimed for the lead shoulder and it hopped away holding up the one shoulder, no blood, just hair on both, the other one acted like it was never hit and these were smaller deer. Really fustrating.

I never used the FA bullet.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
The FA bullet has a nice, squarish meplat, which helps when they don't open.

The biggest issue with Casull bullets (in my VERY limited experience) is that they are designed not to deform at the base, and most jackets aren't tapered, so deforming at the front is also suspect. When they don't open, holes/wounds are smallish and are far smaller than a wadcutter or large meplat cast bullets.

A lighter XTP or the two you mention would work better, although they are a bit pricey for pistol fodder and you need to watch pressures.

Personally, I'd load up a Keith (Lyman 4452429) of RCBS SAA-270 to 1,000-1,200 fps and watch them fold....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Shoot for bone.

Those FA bullets are really tough and not meant to expand much if at all. Wish they would produce the 300 grainers again.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Yep, most certainly to prevent core slippage and excessive base obturation.

I once thought the 300gr. Sierra JSP would be about perfect for 45 Colt levels, but on deer at eighty paces and another just feet away, I found them lacking expansion and the ability to keep that square face.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The older style plow handle can be painful to shoot with a powerful enough load. For me, it us just tolerable when pushing a 335 WFN to 1106 fps from my 4-5/8" NMBH 45 Colt. In a 5-1/2" Bisley, it's a pussy cat with the Bisley grip. As far as the effectiveness of the 335 gr @ 1100 fps. I'll let the following speak for itself.

Alan
[Linked Image]

Last edited by GSSP; 12/10/12.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cobrad
I agree. There is a point where enough is enough. When I bought the 454 I was actually looking for another Freedom Arms .44 mag. There are a few dozen used 454's available on the gun auction sites at any time, and I found one locally that was absolutely pristine, right down to the price tag still in the box. I got it at too good a price to pass up, and I reload so it is no problem tailoring loads. I don't know that I'll ever shoot full house loads as I find them to be vicious to shoot, and unnecessary for killing elk.

The .454 M83's are pretty easy to find for sale, used. The other calibers not so much smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

C
cobrad Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Nice bull GSSP! Was that in Utah?
I used the 325 WFN at 1300 in my old .44. It worked well, on the one big animal I used it on.
Before selecting it I read that the wide, flat nose with square edges cuts a good hole that doesn't just close up behind the bullet, as round nose bullets were said to.

Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,353 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,657
Posts18,455,621
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.