Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#7164397 12/09/12
dubya Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
For awhile now I've been curious of the .375 bullet, but to be honest (and a little embarrassed), i haven't bought one because i was a bit worried about the recoil. After talking to multiple members who have and use 375 HH mags ive decided that it won't be too bad. I have a M70 Extreme Weather in 338 win mag and am not bothered by its recoil too much and most guys say the 375 is similar, if not better, than the 338 winny in the recoil department.

Anyway, I've narrowed it down to 4 rifles. My favorite rifles are my Kimber Montana's and Model 70's. Of the four i listed which would you choose, and ehy? Thanks ahead fellas!
* Kimber Talkeetna - 375 H&H mag ~$1,700
* Winchester M70 Alaskan stainless laminate - 375 H&H mag ~$1,300
* Ruger M77 Alaskan stainless & synthetic - 375 Ruger ~$1,000
* Kimber Caprivi - 375 H&H mag ~ $2,500 (least likely but its sooo purdy!)

BP-B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
FWIW I MUCH rather shoot a .375 H&H than a .338 Win...the recoil is more user freindly...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I have had 7 rifles in .375H&H, have 2 now and 13 in .338WM, have 6 now, my impression is that the .338WM "kicks" LESS then the old "ouch and ouch". However, they are both quite easy to learn to shoot well and both are quite accurate, with NP handloads.

From your list, my choice, hands down, would be the Mod. 70 Alaskan and then, I would proceed to customize it a bit, to have a 4+1 synthetic stocked rifle for all seasons and all reasons.

dubya Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yeah i think ill be selling the EW 338 winny and putting the money towards a 375. My hunting buddy has been bugging me since i bought it to sell it to him so ill send it packing. I have another .338 anyway, a Montana in 338 federal which will basically do what the mag will within 250 yards but without being able to shoot the heavy bullets. I like the 200 grain federal trophy copper loads anyway.

The two im really trying to decide between are the M70 and the Talkeetna. I think I'm going to end up with the talkeetna in 375 because Winchester has the Cabelas special edition (50th anniversary i believe) M70 supergrade in 458 win mag and if work is busy this coming season (concrete work) ill probably pick one of them up too. That will just be a safe queen though smile

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'd get the Winchester and then upgrade the stock. You'll be in the same ball park as the Kimber but it'll have that personal touch. Or just leave it as is and spend the extra 400$ towards glass

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
three seventy six

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
375 Ruger; bombproof; only way to go. It's going to bury the 375 H&H.

dubya Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by krummarine

Im going to take a wild guess and say you're going to take a little heat for that one!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ingwe
FWIW I MUCH rather shoot a .375 H&H than a .338 Win...the recoil is more user freindly...

+1, make mine the Winchester model 70 too.... grin cool

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
lol!; just my way of poking the old bears on this site.

Really, the Ruger comes with a 20" barrel, iron sights, CRF action and ugly, but very functional stock.

all this shooting a cartridge in a standard magnum action, faster and more efficient than the old "geezer" H&H.

Really? easy choice.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
that's a bunch of marketing bs. any seasoned rifleman will cycle the bolt on a M70 equally as fast as a Ruger M77 to cite two examples of actions comfortably housing the H&H and the 375R respectively.

however, does this also mean the same rifleman will cycle the same M70 bolt faster if the rifle is chambered in 375R?

Much ado about nothing.

The way life should be.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Really, the Ruger comes with a 20" barrel, iron sights, CRF action and ugly, but very functional stock.

all this shooting a cartridge in a standard magnum action, faster and more efficient than the old "geezer" H&H.

Really? easy choice.

Until you get somewhere important and there's no ammo,if you need it....and empty brass is availble somewhere rather obscure(I've yet to a see any despite hanging in some rather busy gunstores.....Maybe in Alaska? I dunno... whistle

I wonder about the "geezer" stuff,since the 375 Ruger derives from the 30 and 35 Newton, which predated the H&H hull by a few years. eek I wonder....who are the "geezers"? grin

Other than the Ruger,30/06-length actions by Remington and Winchester are simply H&H length actions with the guts blocked off...only the boxes are 06 length, and even a Ruger can be easily converted to H&H length as Phil Shoemaker and Bill Atkinson proved....Sure, to the "over the counter" stiff he is gonna stuff Ruger cases in a Ruger rifle and think he's working with an 06 length action...especially if his arms are short and he ignores the obvious.

I guess the new definition of "efficiency" is providing a larger,fatter case that goes a bit faster,and call it "efficiency".... thought it worked the other way around? confused And slab sided cases loaded to higher pressures are not as good as tapered ones under tough conditions(maybe theoretical up to a point but facts is facts) frown

The notion that the Americans "know" as much as the Brits about designing DG cartridges is laughable....the American definition of "better" being "blow them out straight,pour the coal to them,lets get the most velocity from the smallest case, and don't worry about the pressure"! cry

But Americans don't really have any dangerous game to deal with either...not really unless you count rut crazed whitetails and little black bears.... smile

I don't see the Ruger case(good as it may be)overtaking the Holland any time soon.....some folks will believe anything. wink

Which 375? I'm surprised this is even a "question". sick

Last edited by BobinNH; 12/13/12.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

B.S. - Never Happen...................

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Really? easy choice.

REALLY - H&H all the way................

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Hate to admit it, but I agree with you... blush

Others will disagree, but to me the recoil of .338/.340 mags is more bone jarring than the .375 H&H. I guess it's all in one's perception and it's a personal thing, no doubt. My .338 Win Mag and .340 Wby both went down the road. I have a .375 SS Classic M-70, barrel cut to 21" with NECG sights. It still wears the factory Tupperware stock. The next upgrade will be an Echols Legend and maybe Cerakote if I get tired of the SS look. To me, this gun is more pleasant to shoot than the .33 cal mags. My .33 is a .338-284.

DF

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
"I don't see the Ruger case(good as it may be)overtaking the Holland any time soon.....some folks will believe anything."

and some folks will hug outdated technology because of nostalgia not function or performance. No dangerous game in North America, you say? Really? Ask Phil Shoemaker about that.

the British heyday of DG cartridges and African colonialism is over; let it go.

The 375R is here to stay and will continue to gain acceptance and popularity...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Hate to admit it, but I agree with you... blush

Others will disagree, but to me the recoil of .338/.340 mags is more bone jarring than the .375 H&H. I guess it's all in one's perception and it's a personal thing, no doubt. My .338 Win Mag and .340 Wby both went down the road. I have a .375 SS Classic M-70, barrel cut to 21" with NECG sights. It still wears the factory Tupperware stock. The next upgrade will be an Echols Legend and maybe Cerakote if I get tired of the SS look. To me, this gun is more pleasant to shoot than the .33 cal mags. My .33 is a .338-284.

DF

Curious but do you fellas feel that the 338 and the 375 bump same if the rigs are built the same? Or do you feel that most feel this way cause many of the 375's out there are heavy?

Thx
Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Mark: I dont really know how to quantify it, but the kick of a .338 is more 'abrupt' and sharp. Similar to the difference ( does that make sense?) between a .300 Win Mag and a .300 H&H mag.
I attribute it to the sloping shoulders on the H&H cartridges, though I have no basis in fact...or it could just be that its better to get kicked by a true classic. Kinda like getting a kiss on the cheek from a woman. Would you prefer Sofia Vergara to do it, or your Aunt Sophie?

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
.375's may be heavier, generally, than .33 mags.

I think a lot of this is a function of higher velocity causing more abrupt recoil. The heavier, slower projectiles seem to push more and jolt less. For example, I don't find the .500 NE that objectionable. A Merkel double weighing 10#'s gives a big push, not that much "jolt". A .300 Wby with heavy bullets tends to jolt, the .340 Wby, even more so.

I guess it's what one likes and personal preference based on experience. As they say, one man's trash is another man's treasure... smile

DF

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
"I don't see the Ruger case(good as it may be)overtaking the Holland any time soon.....some folks will believe anything."

and some folks will hug outdated technology because of nostalgia not function or performance. No dangerous game in North America, you say? Really? Ask Phil Shoemaker about that.

the British heyday of DG cartridges and African colonialism is over; let it go.

The 375R is here to stay and will continue to gain acceptance and popularity...

the British heyday of DG carts is over? is this a serious statement? African colonialism may be over but the importance of British DG cart development cannot be overstated and its impact is at work today. only a misinformed fool would think otherwise. the 375R offers nothing so far as I can see in the field to make the change worthwhile even if the package it comes in is small and handy. an H&H can be built up into a lively package as well, I can certainly attest to this fact with my own H&H. it is also a fact the 375R is factory loaded to most of its potential while the H&H can be loaded up quite a bit if desired and will match if not outdo the Ruger round.

The way life should be.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
736 members (10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 84 invisible), 2,736 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,700
Posts18,399,968
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.