-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

My middle son has a Sporter and it shoots very well.

I have always been a Rem kinda guy... but I would have a new Win.... I just wish they would change the checkering...

Too much scroll work

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Shod
I was under the impression that Winchester is now owned by browning. Is this true? Maybe the reason for the exceptional accuracy?

Anyways....I'm going to get one in 270 FWT real soon. Nice to see all the positive reviews.

Shod

Strictly speaking, the "Winchester" brand is owned by Olin Corporation, which makes ammo and licenses the brand to others for rifles and shotguns. In 2006, U.S. Repeating Arms which made Winchester rifles went out of business and closed the New Haven (actually North Haven, I believe) plant.

Thereupon, Olin licensed the brand to FN Herstal, a huge arms company in Belgium. FN opened a new plant in Columbia, South Carolina, where Model 70s are now made. FN also owns the Browning line, based in Morgan, Utah but separate, although I think that some police sniper rifles use the same actions under each name.

Perhaps others can confirm this.

I read that the SC products are superb and are based on new, state-of-the-art machinery. Unfortunately, no LH versions offered. Ownership by FN, while not American, is a great plus in comparison to other gun companies (e.g., Remington, Marlin) that are owned by investment companies. FN has been in the gun business for a long time and knows the business and the value of the Winchester name.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Norm, thanks for taking the time to offer that explanation. Sounds like I'll be getting a high quality rifle.

Shod

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I bought one in 338 Win Mag (LH) back about 5 years ago and the sumbeech wouldn't hit due east!! After I got finished reworking it....it's now a burner!! Winchester is living off a name that was established 120 years ago IMO!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
5 years ago would have been before the "new" M70's, those manufactured in South Carolina, were offered.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by plafleur
Have any of you guys shot the new model 70? If so,How was the accuaracy? And what model and caliber was it? I'm really wanting a Supergrade in 300WSM or 30-06. Thanks for any info.
Mine is a featherweight in .270 Winchester....it's a 2008 limited edition and has some nicely grained wood.

It's a fine shooter indeed.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The new FN-made Model 70 rifles are assembled in Portugal according to a rep at a local store told me.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by bearstalker
The new FN-made Model 70 rifles are assembled in Portugal according to a rep at a local store told me.

Wrong. He should go back to the shoe department at Walmart.

Wsmnut

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I heard that they are made by elves in a hollow tree.

American elves.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I heard that they are made by elves in a hollow tree.

American elves.

But owned and managed by the elves from the North Pole (except during Christmas - which may explain the problem rifle).

FWIW, I handled a couple of featherweights with the same flat black extractor and they were very rough working the bolt at the store. My shock was soon dissipated after handling the M70 EW and out the door it went under my arm!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

So, I picked up a new s/s aught six. The barrel is stamped with Morgan, Utah. That means it came from the S.C. factory?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have been thinking about buying one of the compact models, are they bedded too?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Slidellkid
I have been thinking about buying one of the compact models, are they bedded too?

No experience with any of the compact models, but the lug was bedded from the factory on my EW 7WSM.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
i did read an article in a gun rag a few years back regarding the new fn m70. the article stated the barrels were made in the fn plant, the actions were made by another us company then shipped to fn for final polishing and assembly. the triggers were also made by another company then shipped to fn. the stocks were made/finished in a central american country (which escapes me at the moment) and shipped to fn. the complete rifle was assembled at the fn plant in sc. if anyone has the actual facts, i'd like to know. thanks

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm glad to hear folks are liking their's!!
Here's the one I just placed an order for (in .257 Roberts)from Scott's Outdoors in Jay,FL. I (jokingly) accused them of using an ad or having their own studio...until I saw the serial # in one of the other pics match the one on my reciept grin smile
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Finally on it's way! Be here by "end of day" Tuesday! grin grin

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
i had a sporter in 30-06 that with 49grs of h4895 under a 168 NBT turned in a 3 shot clover leaf just over a quarter inch center to center( that was with a far better shot then i behind the trigger.)and thats not internet bs.that rifle is at the top of the list of guns i wish i hadnt sold. and everyone one i;ve sold customers come back with similar stories a this the posts in this thread

.358 Norma Mag. enough said.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Looking at the empty loading component shelves in Sportman's on Thursday when a behind-the-gun-counter guy (who knows me as an easy mark) waved for me to come over... He hands me a new M70 FWT in 7x57. I almost broke my wrist trying to get the credit card out of my wallet. While filling out the form, I was mentally formatting probable excuses and counter-excuses to use on my wife... "No, honey, I didn't forget about our deal of not using my credit card for more guns, but it was a 7x57!"

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by IAE_pilot
Looking at the empty loading component shelves in Sportman's on Thursday when a behind-the-gun-counter guy (who knows me as an easy mark) waved for me to come over... He hands me a new M70 FWT in 7x57. I almost broke my wrist trying to get the credit card out of my wallet. While filling out the form, I was mentally formatting probable excuses and counter-excuses to use on my wife... "No, honey, I didn't forget about our deal of not using my credit card for more guns, but it was a 7x57!"

Where was this at?

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

IAE_pilot,

So can you confirm a 22" barrel rather than the 26" barrel listed on Winchester's website for the new FW in 7x57?

Thanks,

SD

Originally Posted by IAE_pilot

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 1Longbow, 70 invisible), 2,396 guests, and 1,171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,319
Posts18,468,418
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.