Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Problem is, bigger guns typically get left home. I've carried every style, every which way and end up not bringing it along all the time. At least a pocket gun is always with me.

GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Diamondback DB9.
First off a pocket gun must fit into a real life pocket.
Or it will be left at home.
Then it must be reliable and useful.

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gunchamp
Problem is, bigger guns typically get left home. I've carried every style, every which way and end up not bringing it along all the time. At least a pocket gun is always with me.

Check out the XDs.....I am telling you that is a badass concealed gun.....kicks like a 9mm

Try it out

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Boococky

Check out the XDs.....I am telling you that is a badass concealed gun.....kicks like a 9mm

Try it out
It's an amazingly compact .45 ACP, and reports are mostly positive as to its shootability and reliability. If you need the smallest .45 ACP available, that's a great pick. Personally, I'd rather have twelve rounds of 9mm than five rounds of .45 ACP in a similar sized package. Yeah, the S&W M&P 9c is a fraction of an inch thicker than the XDs, but since it conceals well, and carries comfortably, in a Milt Sparks VM II, I see no need for a reduction by a fraction of an inch in thickness, and no way I'd carry either of them as a pocket gun. For me, an "always carry" pocket gun means a "mouse gun," i.e., something like a North American Arms Mini-Revolver or a Seecamp-sized auto pistol.

pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
...in most cases, a .22 would work well enough...

Uh, no it won't.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by pal
...in most cases, a .22 would work well enough...

Uh, no it won't.
Notice the word "most." A truly determined attacker, himself armed with an effective weapon, will not (short of a brain shot) be prevented from seriously harming or killing you if all you have is a .22 Long Rifle pocket gun. That said, most criminal threats do not rise to the level of a truly determined attacker such as to disregard being shot with a .22 Long Rifle pocket gun. That statement, however, is not a recommendation on my part of a .22 Long Rifle pocket gun as a self-defense piece.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Self defense means just that self defense which means up close and personal. I'm not in the military and I am no longer a police officer therefore, a big honking offensive handgun is no longer needed to be carried on a daily basis.

I'm thinking a Sig P232 or a Seecamp myself.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Laguna
Originally Posted by dubya
What are its intended use(s)?

Pocket gun usually means for concealed carry, self defense.

If it's a self-defense weapon, that would preclude a pocket gun. A gun that might be used to save your life ought to be up to the task. Bigger is always better.

I'd suspect that a .38 Special would be minimum.

Pocket guns can't be used for self defense.

I learn something new everyday.

Travis

When a bad guy who wants to kill you starts shooting at you, you'll learn to clean crap out of your pants with your hands.

Maybe a trip to Chicago will accord you practical knowledge you need. You can watch those Stingers penetrate heavy winter coats.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Never been to Chicago. Sounds scary.

Thankfully there are no thick winter coats in Montana. Color me safe and sound.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Try it out
It's an amazingly compact .45 ACP, and reports are mostly positive as to its shootability and reliability. If you need the smallest .45 ACP available, that's a great pick. Personally, I'd rather have twelve rounds of 9mm than five rounds of .45 ACP in a similar sized package. Yeah, the S&W M&P 9c is a fraction of an inch thicker than the XDs, but since it conceals well, and carries comfortably, in a Milt Sparks VM II, I see no need for a reduction by a fraction of an inch in thickness, and no way I'd carry either of them as a pocket gun. For me, an "always carry" pocket gun means a "mouse gun," i.e., something like a North American Arms Mini-Revolver or a Seecamp-sized auto pistol.

I completely understand and respect your thoughts and more ammo is always a good thing, but there is no way around the fact that caliber+capacity=size and the bigger the caliber and/or larger capacity means the gun is larger.....I personally like nothing less than .40...I do have an LCP for the utmost conceal-ability and my main carry gun used to be the LC9, but I like the advantage (at least IMHO) of the .45ACP. It holds 5+1 which is no more than any carry revolver short of .22 and I have a 7 and another 5 round mag as backup

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Travis
Everybody there goes about in Bermuda shorts, Hawaiian shirts, Birkenstock sandals, and sunglasses, I hear.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Carrying a handgun is a last resort attempt to escape danger. You merely have to determine what handgun is most likely to accord you best opportunity to live.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Carrying a handgun is a last resort attempt to escape danger. You merely have to determine what handgun is most likely to accord you best opportunity to live.
First resort is Nike-Kwan-Do!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by P_Weed

I have a S&W 432 PD, Airweight, 6-shot snubbie, shrouded barrel, internal hammer (DAO),
32 MAG. A good shooter and perfect for carry.

I have a 431, same thing but exposed hammer. Good little carry gun.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a S&W 637, LCP, p7m8, Sig 232. North American mini and Sig 938. Normal attire in S/E Texas is cargo shorts and boat shoes. My fav. Right now is the 938. It's a little heavy and the trigger leaves a little to be desired but it shoots surprisingly good. Not as good as the p7m8 . Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Try it out
It's a 27 ounce pistol BEFORE you fill it up with .45's. That would tug my britches off.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by KevinGibson

Try it out
It's a 27 ounce pistol BEFORE you fill it up with .45's. That would tug my britches off.

I thought you carried a smith 1911? thats gotta weigh as much or more

Last edited by Boococky; 12/11/12.

-Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Try it out

Manufacturer states 21.5 oz

-Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Try it out

Manufacturer states 21.5 oz

I used to carry a LC9 at 17.1 oz, at 8 rounds of 9mm vs 6 of .45 I know I am gaining an oz or two on the ammo so maybe, just maybe I am up to 6oz. heavier than I used to carry....noticeable, but definitely easily carried

-Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Travis

LOL!! grin

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

652 members (1eyedmule, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 76 invisible), 2,521 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,683
Posts18,456,356
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.