Print Thread
Hop To
S
spj Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Hello, i just picked up a nice used push feed m70 in 300 win mag. I am debating which McMillan, def want to go with a mcswily pattern. I do like cheek pieces as a rule. I also haven't made up my mind on adding a floor plate or not,
Any ideas?

Last edited by spj; 12/10/12.
GB1

S
spj Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Not sure what i did to get the angry emoticon as i typed this from my phone, but I'm not angry, I'm pretty juiced!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was wondering bout that too.
As far as stock goes, if you're not trying to make it a lightweight rifle I'd go with the magnum fill in possibly a supergrade stock. I know a lot of guys don't like the SG because its an old design, but i didn't see any problems with the one i handled. Personally i would get a floorplate. Theres really no reason to have a blind mag like the kimber Montana stock unless you're going for light, i think you'll be glad you got a floor plate down the road.

Cory

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I like the supergrade pattern, and, as luck would have it, my supergrade McMillan swirly is inhabited by a 300Win mag.

Last edited by horse1; 12/10/12.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have a 70 in 300 win mag in a edge and I love it and it shoots great, about 8lbs
W/scope

Ho ho ho

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I would never go magnum fill on the stock unless the rifle was to see nothing but the bench. Standard fill McMillan swirly would be nice, but with edge tech, even better...

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
I would do the Legend from Echols, or a supergrade as second choice. Standard fill for me on a 300 Win. I never like how quick they recoil, and and EDGE would only make that worse.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I you've got a blind mag now, I wouldn't spend the money for bottom metal. Keep it as is. I'd just as soon go with a blind mag and wish more companies offered the option. Less money, less weight, less to go wrong and it generally means a stiffer stock.

Standard fill or Edge, not magnum. I'd go Edge, it will end up about 8 lbs scoped vs about 8.5 in a standard fill. That is not untolerable.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by horse1
I like the supergrade pattern, and, as luck would have it, my supergrade McMillan swirly is inhabited by a 300Win mag.

Me too.

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by spj
Hello, i just picked up a nice used push feed m70 in 300 win mag. I am debating which McMillan, def want to go with a mcswily pattern. I do like cheek pieces as a rule. I also haven't made up my mind on adding a floor plate or not,
Any ideas?

Oh ok, good luck with it...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

- Sako Classic, Super Grade or the new Hunter pattern
- standard fill
- one-piece bottom metal (go with the PT&G aluminum if weight is a concern, but I can't see why it would be with a 300 WM).

If McMillan still made the G&H, that would have been my first choice.

Originally Posted by RED53
Some shooting knowledge: Don't stand in front of the muzzle. Some hunting knowledge: Too much noise ruins the hunt.
S
spj Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
BSA, I hope to have the same luck with it I've had with an identical one in .270 I purchased 13 years ago that is sub MOA with about any handload I cram in it, never misses a beat and kills the crap out of things.

But thats just me!

I think I'm leaning towards the supergrade with a once piece floor plate. I may try and lighten things up a bit with some aluminum. I intend on gunkote all metal parts to match anyway.

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
While I find the CRF M70s more desirable, I sure wouldn't shy away from a PF model...

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by spj
BSA, I hope to have the same luck with it I've had with an identical one in .270 I purchased 13 years ago that is sub MOA with about any handload I cram in it, never misses a beat and kills the crap out of things.

But thats just me!

I think I'm leaning towards the supergrade with a once piece floor plate. I may try and lighten things up a bit with some aluminum. I intend on gunkote all metal parts to match anyway.

I respect the hell out of someone who wants to better a platform to suit their needs. The pushfeed model 70's are great rifles, never had any problems with them but I do prefer the CRF's...Hell, I just cerakoted and slapped a dog azz ugly stock on my classic sporter 06, but I made it how I wanted it. It still needs a pachmayer decelerator but other than that, it's just plain ugly grin:

[Linked Image]

I outshot my buddies new Extreme weather with it. I was shooting offhand and he was shooting off the bench whistle My advice is build it exactly how you want it....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
spj Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Now thats what I'm talking about! I do kinda wish it were a CRF..... anyway i may have to take a look at cerakote.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1936M71, 72 invisible), 2,268 guests, and 1,131 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,124
Posts18,464,622
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.