Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Mako25 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Seen several, never owned a rifle with one.

What are their supposed benefit/purpose?

BP-B2

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I have used them from time to time. A shoe makes the finger contact surface wider. The wider surface amakes it feel like the trigger pull is lighter, though it's really not. The shoe may make the trigger wide enough that it protrudes out past the edges of the trigger guard. The first part, I like; the second part, not so much...

Mako25 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
hmmmmmm

Could be to mask a heavy trigger then.

If a trigger is "light" already, I see no advantage. In fact, I've spent good money on Mausers to have the trigger guard and trigger narrowed.

The shoe may make the trigger wide enough that it protrudes out past the edges of the trigger guard.

I'm with ya - wouldn't care for that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had one on a target grade 22 rifle that I liked & one on a S&W revolver that I didn't like.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
Mako25 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
How was the target rifle's trigger without the shoe? (assumption, I know)

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know , I never shot it without the shoe. It was a Mossberg 144 LS , it had the shoe on it when I bought it & I never took it off. Good shooting rifle , but I sold it.

Mike

Jerry Miculek
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used to have them on a couple of rifles. My gunsmith convinced me that they are a less than satisfactory solution to what is basically a trigger pull problem. Haven't used one in years.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Some people really like them. I'm pretty much indifferent, especially since they can make taking a barreled action of out the stock a more complicated job.

A few of the used rifles I've purchased over the years have come with trigger shoes. Eventually I had a minor collection, and a shooter who really likes trigger shoes bought 'em all.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Mako25 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I used to have them on a couple of rifles. My gunsmith convinced me that they are a less than satisfactory solution to what is basically a trigger pull problem. Haven't used one in years.

Thanks.

Somethin' just dawned on me. Every rifle I've seen with one, is an older rifle.

Mako25 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
...... they can make taking a barreled action of out the stock a more complicated job

Didn't think of that!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mako25

Thanks.

That's because they were just a cheap solution to avoid a trigger job. In years past folks "made do" with stuff like trigger shoes. Nowadays folks that have a trigger they don't like are more likely to have a trigger job done.

Mike

Jerry Miculek
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
...... they can make taking a barreled action of out the stock a more complicated job

Didn't think of that!

Yeah. A whole (two) allen screws to loosen. real tough.

Personally, I like the 'feel' of a wide, serrated shoe. And have them on most of my guns.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Yeah, they were a bit of a fad back in the 1960s and early 1970s.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Used a couple but found them uncomfortable, I much prefer a narrow trigger face.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like one on my Citori.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I suppose the ultimate authority on the topic would be Roy Rogers's blacksmith, but I doubt that he is still around. (Maybe Roy had him stuffed, too.)

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Mako25 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I suppose the ultimate authority on the topic would be Roy Rogers's blacksmith, but I doubt that he is still around. (Maybe Roy had him stuffed, too.)

*slaps forehead*

Trigger's shoes? grin

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a Canjar trigger on one of my rifles. Its the set trigger model and has a wide shoe. I don't notice any difference shooting it, when not using the set trigger feature, to any other of the rifles I have.

JB notes removing it from a barreled action and that is true.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by huntsman22

Personally, I like the 'feel' of a wide, serrated shoe. And have them on most of my guns.

huntsman22;
I hope that this finds you doing acceptably well thus far into December sir.

I'm with you in that I simply like the feel of a wider trigger and like you I'm running them on most of our firearms with the exception of a double action revolver.

As far as it making up for the lack of a trigger job I can't really comment on other's firearms, but since I've worked over the the triggers on most of our guns here I'm at least one exception to that.

Then again I like how Monte Carlo stocks fit me too and that seems to be a '60's thing now gone out of fashion as well.

Anyway huntsman, there is at least one more shooter in the world that likes the feel of a wider trigger - even if I am a Canuck. wink laugh

All the best to you this Christmas Season huntsman.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I had a trigger shoe in my junk box. Bought a rifle that was just a might to heavy. Put the shoe on it and am shooting it that way and like it. Found another somewhere and bought it in case I find a need for it. They feel right on some triggers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
701 members (11point, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 117LBS, 86 invisible), 2,725 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,872
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.