Hop To
S
snuzem Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Hi
I'm trying to work up some loads for a couple of rifles and can't reach my load manuals(Nosler) velocities. My barrel length is the same and the components are the same. However, I am not using one of the more expensive chronographs,just an entry level Chrony. I don't know if that can make a difference or not. My 6.5-284 is reading about 100 fps slower than the manuals velocities. My 30-06 is about the same. Am I chasing my tail trying to reach these velocities?
Thanks
Scott

HR IC

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Every barrel is an individual...none the same....

Nosler or Hornady's test barrel is different than yours...

Loads listed are for reference only....your results may differ...

you may be able to increase max charge a grain or so over...

you may not...twist/groove/bbl length/bullet style/elevation/air

temp/components all play a role...Chrony accurate ?

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
snuzem,

My .454 runs about 100 feet per second behind others I read about. Like the man says, barrels vary.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
FIRST - I am NO authority.

Many have experienced what you are now. It's frustrating and there possible reasons for the differences between book published vels & real time vel.

Personally, I ONLY believe what the chrono says.

I'm old dog & old school enough to be very skeptical of published loads.

I use them as a "guideline" not the gospel of reloading.

Good Luck
Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Snuzem, that's why the Chronograph is called the "de-liar". It takes the fiction out of all the published velocities. As you are already discovering, the books are not all correct. If they were, you wouldn't need a chronograph. Back when we started chronographing in the 80's some of the published loads were off by 300 FPS. Now that chrony's are common the published data has significantly improved, but often your results will still be different.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by snuzem
Hi
I'm trying to work up some loads for a couple of rifles and can't reach my load manuals(Nosler) velocities. My barrel length is the same and the components are the same. However, I am not using one of the more expensive chronographs,just an entry level Chrony. I don't know if that can make a difference or not. My 6.5-284 is reading about 100 fps slower than the manuals velocities. My 30-06 is about the same. Am I chasing my tail trying to reach these velocities?
Thanks
Scott
..............Yes! 100 fps slower than the Nosler manual is nothing to lose any sleep or "chasing your tail" over.

If your 30-06 is chronying right on or about on par with the book velocities, then it stands to reason that maybe your 6.5-284 bore might be a little slower than were the barrel or barrels chrony`d in the Nosler manual.

It is very likely with probable certainty, that if the same components are used, there will be some 6.5-284 bores out there running even a little slower than yours. If you have any doubts about the chrony you`re using, then for collaboration, borrow a friend`s chrony if possible and see what that one says using the same loads.

You`re always going to have slower bores and faster bores in identical rifles, coming from the same manufacturer, chambered in the same round and when using the identical componentry and powder charges.

Besides the Nosler manual, I`d look around in other manuals to see if they are using the same components and Nosler bullet and look at what book velocities they are running and then average them all out.

Will losing 100 fps from the muzzle make the final result any different when hunting any game you could ever hunt using your 6.5-284 given the same shooting distances?.......Nope!

Most teens and maybe even younger, young adults and adults can throw a major league baseball faster than 100 fps or 68.181 mph.

In the world of 1800, 2000, 2200 mph and greater rifle bullet speeds from the muzzle, losing just over 68 mph is really nothing.

Rather than be concerned with losing 100 fps, concentrate on your accuracy instead. If you`re grouping well then why worry!

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In my experience, sometimes you eat the bar, sometimes the bar eats you.

Trust your chrono. Don't sweat it if your load is a little slower than book. Sometimes I match the load books, sometimes I don't, thats just how it goes.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've always felt Nosler velocities ran a little high for the amount of powder called for in their loads.I trust my chronograph and don't worry too much what the book says.It's only a guide,every rifle is different and powders can vary from lot to lot too.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by baldhunter
.....every rifle is different and powders can vary from lot to lot too.

Bingo!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
An inexpensive way to check your chronograph is to buy 2 or 3 boxes of .22 rimfire ammo that gives their velocity on the box and check these against your chrono readings.

Jim

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That's pretty normal, also, don't sweat velocity too much, velocity and trajectory aren't the same thing, a lot of times one has to add a significant amount of powder to gain much trajectory over a "slower" load.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
First, the manual IS correct. What they print is exactly what they got.

Second, the major difference between what they got and what you can get is what they shot it in. If they used an instrumented test barrel (to get pressure readings as well as velocity) then that barrel was cut to absolute minimum dimensions. Because it is tighter in all respects, it delivered higher pressures AND higher velocities than a looser sporting barrel will. That's for obvious safety reasons.

So a chronograph reading from your rifle and using your components that registers 100 fps or so less than the "book" number is probably dead smack on.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by baldhunter
I've always felt Nosler velocities ran a little high for the amount of powder called for in their loads.I trust my chronograph and don't worry too much what the book says.It's only a guide,every rifle is different and powders can vary from lot to lot too.

When using 50gn bullets and Varget in my Rem 700VLS 22/250 I get velocity around 200fps less than the Nosler manuel despite my rifle having a barrel 2" longer than the test barrel.

Some of the velocities in the Nosler manual are "out of this world" in terms of achievability.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My 6.5 is right on book velocities but my 25-06 is much faster than book velocities. I just trust the chrono. I assume this is normal.

gary

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If we loaded the book maker's components in the book maker's fire arms I bet we'd get the book's speeds. Alas, mine are different. wink

S
snuzem Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Thanks for all the replies. It makes me feel a lot better knowing its not something I'm doing wrong( this time, anyway).
Thanks again
Scott

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I load Hodgdon/ADI powders usually from the Hodgdon/ADI data. Most of my results are pretty close to the book with the exception of my old 308 which has a barrel that's shot over 10 000 rounds. It gives me about 200fps less than what the books say I should. Probably not surprising. Still groups well though.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
724 members (10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 89 invisible), 2,726 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,698
Posts18,399,950
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.