Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Al Gore introduced himself to me back about 1988. He did not say anything about any kind of warming then.Just running for some office, or another.
In regards to the former VP, you have my sympathy.
Perhaps Al Gore, and David Suzuki will homestead at the North Pole. Talk about a pair to draw to.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
BP-B2

T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
Never mind a pair ........ those two should invite a straight flush!

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by the_shootist
Rather than have either a concrete block, or poured concrete wall basement, you dig your hole in the ground and build a wooden frame basement out of PWF wood and plywood (stands for Permanent Wood Foundation) You build walls the same as for the rest of the house, only the wood and plywood are treated for sub grade. Used to be warranteed for 40 years, but Mine is showing no signs of trouble yet, so who knows. You then build the house on top of that, and you can insulate the basement walls and then sheet them in. I have 6" of insulation in my basement walls. Works good, and it is super dry. Even my floor is wood. The only concrete in the whole house is what my furnace and chimney are sitting on. The footings are wood as well.

Flame on! laugh

Thanks. I've never heard of that type of basement before. We get too much moisture here for that. Be rotted in no time.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by roundoak
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by roundoak
To burn next fall?

Nope. This winter. I have about a cord and a half left over from last winter, and this four will see us the rest of the way through this winter, and half way through next winter. The house is built for the 40 below we get and we rarely burn a full 4 cords.

Wouldn't it still be kinda wet depending on when it was cut?

Just to expand on supercub's question. The timber species I cut for firewood to burn in the fireplace, and free standing wood stoves is stacked and dried for a minimum of 12 months. What species of wood are you burning?

We burn maple and/or birch here. I usually buy the wood cut and split in the sping and rank it outside till the later fall. My basement is unfinished, so I currently have 7 cords in and room for more. A lot of folks buy their wood a year in advance and burn that way. Too dry is not good either as it burns too fast w/o the same heat.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
To jump in on the wood basement,I would think it depends on the wood treatment.
The right type, with good retention,the depth of treatment,can last a long time.

IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
Apparently this treated wood can be buried in a swamp for 40 years and still retain it water repellency. My basement is from 4-7 feet in the ground, backfilled with good clean gravel, and the land is sloped away from the building, (naturally) and I have 5" rain gutters that I run ito pipes and down the hill away from the house. Very warm, very dry. And you can walk all day in your bare feet on the basement floor, and feet stay warm. It works.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There are a lot of wood basements up here. Supercub just didn't notice. wink I was in a home and a church with wood basement a few weeks ago in NB.

Bro. Keith, are there any buzz saws around any more? When we lived in Kirkland Lake in the '60s there were quite a few, and a few shortened arms to go with them. crazy

They went through a cord of spruce and pine in no time at all.

Ted

T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
I never see the buzz saws. Most of them required a tractor PTO to run, didn't they. Haven't seen one for over 40 years now.

Last edited by the_shootist; 12/11/12.

Brother Keith

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
It has been a while since I have see one. They were/are mounted on the tractor front, with a flat belt drive. A cradle held the log, and tipped, or rocked the log into the saw blade. The blade is large. I'm not sure, but 24" diameter?
As noted, they cut logs, and hands, and arms with no discrimation.
As hazardous as a chain saw can be,the chain saw can't hold a candle to the buzz saws.
They may be someone with better information, that's my take.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I know of wood basements being put in 30+ years ago in Montana that are still in great shape. They work good in places where the ground moves somewhat with the cold and dry conditions.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rman
That is a nice pile of good honest hard work, right there. R.

You got that right, split a lot of that when I was a kid at home.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
have fun ... we mostly split before winter hitting us ... we had some weeks of colder weather so the wood burnt fast ...

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
I have one of those old buzz saws, last time I used it was 1991.
It sits out in the yard and tourists ask me about it all the time. I have often thought about fireing it up just for a demenstration but then remember how afraid of that thing I really am. They more dangerous than a whole tree log chipper.

I burn between 6 and 10 cord of birch a year with an indoor wood boiler. House and shop are attached 30 X 80 ft with in floor heat. Got a propane boiler too so the amount of wood I burn is directly proportional to how I feel about chopping wood today.

zxc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Years ago, there were two boys that used to cut and split fire wood such as the pile in your picture. they used a circular saw mounted on a small trailer, and they ran the saw from the back axle of the Pinto car they hauled the trailer with ( took wheel off and bolted up the "PTO" to the 4 studs. After every thing was cut to length they went home then brought back a gas/hydraulic wood splitter, home made as well.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Brother Keith, Would you show us the progess on the firewood?
It will look pretty cut, split, and stacked.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Rather than have either a concrete block, or poured concrete wall basement, you dig your hole in the ground and build a wooden frame basement out of PWF wood and plywood (stands for Permanent Wood Foundation) You build walls the same as for the rest of the house, only the wood and plywood are treated for sub grade. Used to be warranteed for 40 years, but Mine is showing no signs of trouble yet, so who knows. You then build the house on top of that, and you can insulate the basement walls and then sheet them in. I have 6" of insulation in my basement walls. Works good, and it is super dry. Even my floor is wood. The only concrete in the whole house is what my furnace and chimney are sitting on. The footings are wood as well.

Flame on! laugh

Thanks. I've never heard of that type of basement before. We get too much moisture here for that. Be rotted in no time.

Actually in 1980 the PWF Foundation had wood in the ground from Louisianna to Northern Manitoba and they had been in the ground since the 1940s. At that time no deterioration of any kind was found. They are an amazing engineeered structure that is dependant on everything setting on wooden footings on a washed crushed rock substrate. I heeted my house for twenty years averaging 2 cords a year and we had -35F at least one month of the year and winter for six honest months. In the ternty years+ years I lived in the house there were never leaks and no settling. It was in gumbo clay.

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
420 members (10ring1, 1lesfox, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 43 invisible), 2,122 guests, and 923 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,070
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.