Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
trigger control must be almost perfect and timing must be, to use Tubb/s method. Its given me the highest scores and x counts when I"m on with it. But when not.... it kinda sucks....

IMHO if using Tubb method you should cross train with bullseye rapid fire pistol strings a lot.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
BP-B2

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
HP offhand AR15
[Linked Image]

To be on the wire is life. The rest is waiting.
Karl Wallenda
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Good photo.

Some folks run the butt of the gun even a hair higher to keep the head forward/backward tilt level or more so level. And some cant the gun more into their face to keep the head and sights level.

Also depending on the build the support hand can go in a number of different places.

But its all in what you get used to and a lot is dictated by your body.

For me, even shooting the M14, the hand on the bottom of the mag did nothing at all to help stabilize the rifle, and actually hurt it a hair because it was a small wobble point. Fingers to the side of the mag/mag well help kill that wobble though.

IE no flames, thats a great starting picture, and if it works for you just as it is, great, but don't hesitate to try variations if need be.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Turns out I've used the "Tubb method" since before anybody ever heard of it. Always did right well with it too, placing in the top 3 at the state smallbore championship 3 years running and taking high individual the third year. I had the highest offhand average in my league.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
........thats a great starting picture, and if it works for you just as it is, great, but don't hesitate to try variations if need be.

Yep. For my own shooting, I carry my support hand with the palm turned in toward the mag well and more forward so that my fingers rest on or under the barrel nut.

To be on the wire is life. The rest is waiting.
Karl Wallenda
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Turns out I've used the "Tubb method" since before anybody ever heard of it. Always did right well with it too, placing in the top 3 at the state smallbore championship 3 years running and taking high individual the third year. I had the highest offhand average in my league.

You must be a heck of an offhand shooter. Shooting the highpower offhand target at 200 yards with a moving gun is workable.

Smallbore targets are HARD. Way harder to me than highpower ever will be.

Congrats on your successes. My offhand is the only thing that ever kept me from being a national champion in highpower service rifle IMHO.

Jeff

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
try silhoutte shooting for off hand work with all the rules that apply. have seen over the years lots of shooter from other shooting games come and look at the targets and talk about how easy this was going to be than to get their ass handed to them and never seen at a silhoutte match again. on shooing position one must expeiment and do what work for them it will vary depening on body build and many other things.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Sihouette is good cross training. And smallbore matches are fairly common. (vs highpower finding 500 yards)

The targets are somewhat different in sizes etc.. shape too. Turkey is the least forgiving to me and most like a highpower target.

BUT remember David Tubb, was also a Silhouette king too... El Rey was the name....so it must work.

OT here, but pistol matches bullseye rapid fire strings were REALLY great cross training for highpower rapid fire trigger control....

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
i do agree with all you say but one must remember too that when tubbs was silhoutte king he was shootin a chin gun(not trying to take from his abilatiy) which is now illeagle for the game so a different stance was used as compared to a "hunter" style gun

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yes on the chin gun, but IMHO he could have won under whatever rules where given him. But I"m like him, if it helps and is not illegal I"d be a fool not to use/try it....

If I"m not mistaken he also took a hunter title or two where I think the chin thing was not allowed either. This plus was using a 243 often that hit some animals but did not take them over.

IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
yes you got it right it seems to me on off hand shooting one either has the nack or they dont. I do attened a few silhoutte matches even have a very nice smallbore range off the south side of my yard cathy (winsted) & james servin even come see me from time to time

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Stance doesn't affect shot approach.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tubb won the open title with what was supposedly an off the rack M700 in .243.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by BarryC
Stance doesn't affect shot approach.

my take is stance has EVERYTHING to do with shot approach. If you don't set it up right so that your approach is slowing to stopping at NPA being center, then you wont' shoot as well as you can.

If stance didn't matter then about anyone could shoot out of any position standing and win.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I didn't say that stance doesn't matter.

I said position doesn't affect whether you approach from the side, bottom, top, or try to hold steady. You can use the same position with any of those methods. Whether you use an approach or a steady hold, the X-ring is where your position should place your NPA.

We are only talking about moving the muzzle of the rifle about .030" (5 moa) from "out" to "in".

Islam is a terrorist organization.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
True that. Missed that part.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by GaryVA

One could even say that how you would properly mount an M16 for CQB so that you could be most effective at hitting targets on the move, would be a completely different technique in how you would mount the same rifle to shoot off hand in service rifle competition to clean the target with max X hits. Both would look different, and neither would work well if the techniques were flip flopped.

Best smile

This bears repeating. That's why Al-Queda killers and 3-gunners don't use Camp Perry shooting styles. On a KD range, you are concerned with THIS shot only. When someone is trying to kill you, you are concerned with the rest of your ammo loadout.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
414 members (10ring1, 1lesfox, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 41 invisible), 2,108 guests, and 919 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,594
Posts18,398,021
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.