Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
That NW Woodsman buck saw is a great value. At the time I found his site I had a saw from Ben's Backwoods so I just ordered the oilskin cover.

I liked the cover so well I bought a saw and cover.

They both fitted Bahco blades which is my first choice in saw blades anyhow.

BP-B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
A little fatwood, a few paper towel parriffin/wax sheets, bic lighter, ferro rod, and an Leuku. The only other kit you would need is an kettle to drink from and make tea.

You could substitute an axe in lieu of the Leuku sized knife. Its your call.

Basically all this fits in your pockets and on your belt with exception of the kettle.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by elkhunter_241

Thanks. How about extra blades. Readily available? I carry a Wyoming saw but that compact little tube is tempting. You could really stuff that about anywhere in a pack.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The blades are about $24 each and you cannot find them just at any Tractor Supply or Lowes eek

That's why I'm looking at the Dustrude. Oh yeah, they sell three sizes: 21", 24" and 30"!

Last edited by alukban; 12/14/12.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Anyone have opinions on the Sven Saw? I saw someone here on the 'Fire give it a great endorsement in the Knife section a few months ago.

Link:

Sven Saw

FWIW, I just noticed that it rates 5 stars at REI with 25 reviews:

REI

Last edited by CoalCracker; 12/14/12.
IC B2

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by alukban
You guys know about the Dustrude Quick saw? This is the one I plan on getting.

They have a 24" and it uses regular hardware store blades. Some of the others do not so buyer beware.

http://duluthpack.com/folding-saw.html

The Dustrude saw is awesome. I have the 21" and it will be my winter saw. It will cut bigger rounds than the Sawvivor and assembles very quickly.

I have used the fold out saws from Corona, Gerber etc as well as the Gerber slide out blades and although they all cut very well, there is nothing like a framed buck saw for serious wood production. (well except a chain saw smile

I also really like the Dandy Saws. The blades are stiffer than any of the folding saws and they do a good job.
http://www.outfitterspackstation.com/sihadasaw.html

Ed T

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
RE: the Sven saws => $12 specialty blades. The triangular geometry means that you don't actually get as long a stroke as you go deeper into materials.

Last edited by alukban; 12/14/12.
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by Jesse Jaymes
Seems the thread has taken another turn. Hard to be clear or convey full intent.

I was thinking about what would be essential for shelter building in an UNPLANNED EVENT. Meaning, what is essential to be on you during winter day trips for emergency shelter building. That's where I was going with the hatchet vs saw vs knife thing.

Evan-

I am heading back over for "school" in a month or two so I will get some more hands on time. I really, really wish I had taken some of the opportunities that I have squandered. The trip you had up here 2 years ago, or many of the Rondys that come and go without me committing. Much could be learned for free in a weekend. It's tough without a Mentor to assist and stop you from really F'ing up and saving your bacon and also shortening the harder portions of the learning curve....the classic "Too much coal....saw it right off" Jeremiah Johnson mentor.

I own two of EdT's stoves. One being one of his newest designs with roll up Ti. I am sure I could pack this at all times. Have a SuperTarp with Annex also. So its not really that I didn't think out of the box, but my mind just didn't go that direction. Probably the surest bet in the bush though....going with a known system for 5 lbs vs trying to make a warm, heated shelter in the dark with a hatchet and pine boughs.

And maybe it's time to start packing some intermediate tinder as Ed suggests. Something transitional.

Jesse,

Here is my winter fire kit:

[Linked Image]

Fatwood sticks, Waterproof matches, One handed striker, Wet Fire Tinder, Fire Steel, Tin with Vasiline coated cotton pads, carrying case.

Winter time is not a time to take shortcuts with the ability to make fire.

Ed T

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Ed_T
Originally Posted by alukban
You guys know about the Dustrude Quick saw? This is the one I plan on getting.

They have a 24" and it uses regular hardware store blades. Some of the others do not so buyer beware.

http://duluthpack.com/folding-saw.html

The Dustrude saw is awesome. I have the 21" and it will be my winter saw. It will cut bigger rounds than the Sawvivor and assembles very quickly.

I have used the fold out saws from Corona, Gerber etc as well as the Gerber slide out blades and although they all cut very well, there is nothing like a framed buck saw for serious wood production. (well except a chain saw smile

I also really like the Dandy Saws. The blades are stiffer than any of the folding saws and they do a good job.
http://www.outfitterspackstation.com/sihadasaw.html

Corona and gerber are garbage until you have used a Silky you will never understand.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Ed- going to grab a saw. I think Sawvivor is 10.5oz packaged. The above saw that packages into one single pole appealing as well. Think it's listed as over a pound but W hasn't gotten back with a brand name that I've found.

Can it be narrowed down to just one saw? I see you are constantly thinning the herd on your gear. I'd like to get it right the first time.....

Think the Sawvivor is $50 or under. That I can afford.

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Wet kills. Wind kills. Blowing rain in cold conditions can overwhelm a tarp setup. Got to get dry, got to get out of the wind. Got to insulate from cold ground. You might be injured. Don�t know how long you will be in the bad conditions. Don�t know how exhausted you will be from batoning with tools not up to the task --when conserving energy is a premium. That is why I believe in paying the weight penalty to pack a small bivy that I can completely zip up inside in, as well as a ridge-rest pad, Army poncho, trail axe and several knives, and at least three ways to start fire (Vaseline impregnated and dry cotton balls, several commercial fire starters, magnesium striker).

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by timat46

I have this saw and have cut a lot of wood with it. It has worded extremely well for me. It uses the same blades as the Sawvivor saw. Given that it weighs less than 4oz it is always in my pack.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
dave
Is that 4 oz. including the blade ? Doe's it require allot of fiddling around to assemble ?(with cold,numb fingers )
Tim

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Tim,

On my scale it weighs under 4oz (~3.75) with the blade but without the black foam around the handle. With the black foam it weighs about 4.25.

It does take some fiddling around to assemble it. The first time it took me a while but after doing a few times it becomes a lot easier.

I have a pair of light gloves that I use standalone when the temps aren't too cold and as a liner in heavier gloves or mittens when the temps are colder. I can assemble the saw with the light gloves on.

The one I have is the 15". He also sells a 24".

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ed- going to grab a saw. I think Sawvivor is 10.5oz packaged. The above saw that packages into one single pole appealing as well. Think it's listed as over a pound but W hasn't gotten back with a brand name that I've found.
Can it be narrowed down to just one saw? I see you are constantly thinning the herd on your gear. I'd like to get it right the first time.....

It's a "Trail Blazer", Elkhunter provided a link:
http://www.amazon.com/Trail-Blazer-TBS-24-24-Inch-Take-Down/dp/B000LW1Q1E

Last edited by snubbie; 12/14/12.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by timat46

That thing looks very cool. Any other users out there have an opinion on this saw? I may just have to have one.

What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
The saw I use from Northwest Woodsman is 40 dollars and replacement blades are 6.

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
- Abraham Lincoln, the Rail Splitter from Illinois.
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E

Jesse,

I don't think you would be disappointed with a Sawvivor or a Dustrud. I like coarser teeth with a decent amount of set in wood saw as I often cut very resinous wood. The resin will clog finer teeth even though they cut quite fast.

The Boundry Waters Catalog carries the Sawvivor, the saw Wes has and the Dustrud Quick Buck saw.

http://www.boundarywaterscatalog.com/browse.cfm/2,67.html

Ed T

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am going to take the drill and lighten up that 24" bucksaw. I did that with my Wyoming saw II and took 6 oz's off it I think. I did end up breaking it so I may have done a little bit too much drilling wink. I still have my small Wyoming saw but its heavy and pretty much worthless for trying to keep a larger stove running.

I am concerned about how the blades connect using the plastic ends but I have not had a problem yet. Also, if your saw is wet when you put it all back in the main tube it will be froze togather the next time you use it if temps are low enough. Make sure to either wipe it off before you put it away or your going to have to stick it down your pants for a few minutes to unthaw it like I had to smile.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
238 members (300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 257 mag, 2UP, 10Glocks, 26 invisible), 1,650 guests, and 898 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,926
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.