Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Well, I for one have no problem believing the "rural legend".

YMMV, but I'm not on my "first dog" here. I've worked with a lot of dogs over the years, and with a lot of dog trainers, and a lot of field-trial trainers and handlers, and there's more than one or two of us who've known dogs that appeared able to tell cocks from hens by scent. You don't find it in field-trial dogs hardly ever, because they're trained on all manner of species of birds, cocks & hens, and they've learned that any flush is a good flush.

Not so with a dog that's trained to hunt cockbirds only. He doesn't get the "reward" of a shot and a retrieve if he flushes a hen, and any dog I've owned or shot over that was worth hunting over figured out the difference in a hurry. Certainly by the time the dog is 4 years old he'll know the difference, if he's worth the price of his kibble. It helps if you train them carefully... I douse my live training pigeons with cockbird scent, and I don't train with hen pheasants, even though it costs more to buy cockbirds for training. It pays off in the hunting field.

When you have a dog whose flushes are 75-80% cocks, and the pheasant population is 75-80% hens, that gives you something of a clue.

The vets and the field-trial trainers can talk all they want, but none of them really knows what a dog can or can't smell. We can only guess about it by what they do with their sense of smell, and in my view, the good ones can do a lot more with their noses than most dog men give them credit for.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Makes sense. Harry trained Belle by taking her hunting, and pheasants only as far as I know. Amazing concentration. Hunting CRP she'd cross a trail and never give up on it unless called off. A pleasure to watch, as often as not she'd find and flush a rooster if we were patient enough. And usually she'd follow the same trail no matter how many others she crossed.

But I won't give her credit for knowing which direction to follow the scent though it seemed like she did. But maybe she did, sometimes she'd go one direction a bit and then turn and go the other way.

I've learned to never underestimate dogs in anything, they do the most amazing things but most people don't pay enough attention to see it.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
87 members (10gaugemag, 99Ozarks, 257robertsimp, akshooting, 14 invisible), 1,647 guests, and 746 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,756
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.