Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gunchamp
Sounds about right, but I dont know anything compared to John and Whit. What do you guys think? By the way Whit, I'm sure you heard this a thousand times but your book is fantastic. Only book I've ever read more than once. Such a wealth of info on big bore handguns. Thank you for writing it.
Ryan

Thank you for the kind words, Ryan! Much appreciated!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I had to read it twice Hawk but you are right on.
What I meant by large blood trails is they start at the impact point and you don't have to hunt for first blood. If a deer happens to go far, you can find it. The truth is when you find blood at the spot you hit the deer, it does not go far.
A too fast boolit can remove the cutting edge away from tissue with the pressure wave.
The search for pure velocity can be detrimental. The 12 ga slug just works as does a BP round ball. So does a .44 mag work as good as any other caliber.
The whole thing about velocity is to shoot farther and flatter. Not a good choice when deer are 20 yards.
I have dropped deer DRT at 100 yards with a .45 Colt so would a .454 be better? No, it would be better at 200 yards plus or with a much larger animal. But regulating the bullet/boolit will correct all of that.
Bullets have been a problem for years. You would not hunt deer with a 30-06 and armor piercing bullets and long ago a 180 gr was bad. You used a 150 to 165 gr until the 180 was made better.
It will always be the bullet/ boolit, never how fast.
I see posts all the time with guys looking for 1450 to 1500 fps from a .44 and using light bullets. How do you explain that it is wrong? 180 gr hollow points at full velocity is just wrong for deer. It is like a 22-250.
Look at the damage done to a man with a .58 Minie' ball from a rile in the civil war.
I have a real problem with revolver shooters that think any barrel length, any size cartridge, any twist rate, any weight boolit and any velocity will work. Not a single one would consider those funny ideas with a rifle.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by bfrshooter
I had to read it twice Hawk but you are right on.
What I meant by large blood trails is they start at the impact point and you don't have to hunt for first blood. If a deer happens to go far, you can find it. The truth is when you find blood at the spot you hit the deer, it does not go far.
A too fast boolit can remove the cutting edge away from tissue with the pressure wave.
The search for pure velocity can be detrimental. The 12 ga slug just works as does a BP round ball. So does a .44 mag work as good as any other caliber.
The whole thing about velocity is to shoot farther and flatter. Not a good choice when deer are 20 yards.
I have dropped deer DRT at 100 yards with a .45 Colt so would a .454 be better? No, it would be better at 200 yards plus or with a much larger animal. But regulating the bullet/boolit will correct all of that.
Bullets have been a problem for years. You would not hunt deer with a 30-06 and armor piercing bullets and long ago a 180 gr was bad. You used a 150 to 165 gr until the 180 was made better.
It will always be the bullet/ boolit, never how fast.
I see posts all the time with guys looking for 1450 to 1500 fps from a .44 and using light bullets. How do you explain that it is wrong? 180 gr hollow points at full velocity is just wrong for deer. It is like a 22-250.
Look at the damage done to a man with a .58 Minie' ball from a rile in the civil war.
I have a real problem with revolver shooters that think any barrel length, any size cartridge, any twist rate, any weight boolit and any velocity will work. Not a single one would consider those funny ideas with a rifle.

A lighter bullet is usually constructed "not as tough" as the heavier bullet, hence it will expand or open easier and more rapid the faster it is pushed.

How would a slower heavier bullet cause more damage? Penetration should be taken out of consideration with.45 cal's on deer sized animal. I fail to see how a WFN of .451 or 2 will do more damage that a HP that has expanded to .750 or so at the same distance/velocity.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by j1r11

A lighter bullet is usually constructed "not as tough" as the heavier bullet, hence it will expand or open easier and more rapid the faster it is pushed.

How would a slower heavier bullet cause more damage? Penetration should be taken out of consideration with.45 cal's on deer sized animal. I fail to see how a WFN of .451 or 2 will do more damage that a HP that has expanded to .750 or so at the same distance/velocity.

Most do fail to see how this is possible. depending on the size and toughness of the game is is very possible and happens consistently

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So long as the projectile can handle the pressure of impact and penetration, the faster it goes, the better it works.

There is simply no conversation to the contrary. This is physics, on paper and in practice. Having seen several thousand big to really big animals, including elephant, hippo, rhino buffalo, brown bears, lions, etc etc. killed with every imaginable rifle and bullet combination. There is simply no mistaking the function of velocity into the mix of lethal performance.

458 win mag can be considered a foundation of this principle. Once considered a failure when introduced for various loading problems it was generally accepted to provide about 2000 fps. Far too many issues were involved with this cartridge.

The 458 Lott was born to solve that problem using the same bullet but at 2300-2400 fps. Far more devastating performance. So much so that in many circles it's considered "the standard" back up rifle for Dangerous game in Sub Saharan Africa. Then the 460 weatherby came into the picture which simply crumples the game with an unimaginable force. If Velocity were no issue then simply shooting a light recoiling 1500 fps rifle with the same 500 grain bullet should be sufficient. It's clearly not even close to functional by comparison.

The same can be said with the plethora of 416 cartridges. They get better and better as the velocity increases. I respectfully disagree with you on this velocity does not matter presentation.

It is about the bullet, so long as it has the integrity to handle the pressure. But the faster you drive it, the more trauma you deliver. The 165gr TSX bullet will out perform the 180 gr TSX on all the game we have shot ( many hundreds of them) it's now quickly becoming the standard in 30 caliber rifles regardless of velocity. The performance of that bullet just keeps getting exponentially better the faster you drive it.

I cannot understand why you have seen what your sharing here? It makes no sense at all to the experiences we have seen in the bush. We do however see hundreds of game shot of every size. There is absolutely no debate regarding velocities effects. The reactions and destruction of tissue are directly proportional to velocity.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by jwp475

Most do fail to see how this is possible. depending on the size and toughness of the game is is very possible and happens consistently

Is that an explaination? I am using whitetail as an example. You are saying it is possible and it happens consistently which is a contradicting statement.

Your shotgun analogy is not very scientific either as each deer can and sometimes do act different than each other when being shot. Do you have a video showing a ballistic gell. test showing the pressure waves to support a slow/heavy vs. fast/light bullet?

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by JJHACK
So long as the projectile can handle the pressure of impact and penetration, the faster it goes, the better it works.

There is simply no conversation to the contrary. This is physics, on paper and in practice. Having seen several thousand big to really big animals, including elephant, hippo, rhino buffalo, brown bears, lions, etc etc. killed with every imaginable rifle and bullet combination. There is simply no mistaking the function of velocity into the mix of lethal performance.

458 win mag can be considered a foundation of this principle. Once considered a failure when introduced for various loading problems it was generally accepted to provide about 2000 fps. Far too many issues were involved with this cartridge.

The 458 Lott was born to solve that problem using the same bullet but at 2300-2400 fps. Far more devastating performance. So much so that in many circles it's considered "the standard" back up rifle for Dangerous game in Sub Saharan Africa. Then the 460 weatherby came into the picture which simply crumples the game with an unimaginable force. If Velocity were no issue then simply shooting a light recoiling 1500 fps rifle with the same 500 grain bullet should be sufficient. It's clearly not even close to functional by comparison.

The same can be said with the plethora of 416 cartridges. They get better and better as the velocity increases. I respectfully disagree with you on this velocity does not matter presentation.

It is about the bullet, so long as it has the integrity to handle the pressure. But the faster you drive it, the more trauma you deliver. The 165gr TSX bullet will out perform the 180 gr TSX on all the game we have shot ( many hundreds of them) it's now quickly becoming the standard in 30 caliber rifles regardless of velocity. The performance of that bullet just keeps getting exponentially better the faster you drive it.

I cannot understand why you have seen what your sharing here? It makes no sense at all to the experiences we have seen in the bush. We do however see hundreds of game shot of every size. There is absolutely no debate regarding velocities effects. The reactions and destruction of tissue are directly proportional to velocity.

Now, this makes sense and science backs it.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Is that an explaination? I am using whitetail as an example. You are saying it is possible and it happens consistently which is a contradicting statement.

Your shotgun analogy is not very scientific either as each deer can and sometimes do act different than each other when being shot. Do you have a video showing a ballistic gell. test showing the pressure waves to support a slow/heavy vs. fast/light bullet?

Well I shot a Fallow with a wide me plat hard cast at 1380 FPS from a 500 JRH and removed a 3 to 4 inch section of lungs and this same bullet will break the shoulder support bone on an Asian Buffalo and exit the off side shoulder.

I don't see what I could haver possibly gained with a hollow point

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J

Well I shot a Fallow with a wide me plat hard cast at 1380 FPS from a 500 JRH and removed a 3 to 4 inch section of lungs and this same bullet will break the shoulder support bone on an Asian Buffalo and exit the off side shoulder.

I don't see what I could haver possibly gained with a hollow point

I am talking whitetail and you are talking cape buffalo?

If your fallow deer ran into very thick brush, i would suppose most of us would want the best blood trail, and from what i have seen, the fast HP has the edge.

No i would not use a HP for buffalo. I would want penetration, for whitetail i want expansion.

I used to use a .338WM with a 250gr. speer GS and recovered most deer, but a few got away, i then switched to a 180gr. nosler BT at 300fps faster and it is a night and day difference. Horror show blood trails (when i have to follow one) and it looks like a grenade went off inside the deer.

I have used a WFN with my .454 and lost 2 deer, and have lost another 2 with a 300gr. XTP mag. The only deer i recovered was with a 260gr. hp that has been discontinued (win. platinum tip HP). This is why i am considering going back to the lighter/fasted combo.

You don't need a 50 bmg w/ 750 gr. for deer at 50yds.

Last edited by j1r11; 12/14/12.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
For the sake of ballistic accuracy:
The 20 gauge PT Gold load is basically a 260gr. 45 caliber pistol bullet going a lot faster than the hottest 454 Casull. They clock around 1,800 fps from a 24" barrel.
The Casull can do 1950 with a 260.

The 12 gauge loading is basically a 385 gr. 50 caliber pistol bullet clocking 1,600 from a 24" barrel.

The 500 Smith can do 1750 with a 400 grain bullet.

Despite running faster and expanding, the newer 50 caliber projectiles also don't have anything over the old, defunct wadcutter type BRI 50 caliber sabots and certainly not over the larger, yet even slower Brenneke or Foster types, so far as killing goes.

How about flat shooting and accuracy? Killing a deer at 100 yards, or further out, is left to luck if the gun can't group consistently at that range and not many slug guns (or slug gunners ?) can.

Recently, with a Savage 220 bolt action 20 gauge, I shot two 3 shot groups with Rem Accutips that measured under .7" at 100 yards. The Winchester Dual Bonded were not as good at 1.75" for four shots but I've never had a pump action slug gun that could come anywhere close to even the 1.75" area. 3-4" were always the best I could do before, and you could make a fair bet it would be 6-8 the next time out. In all fairness, I don't KNOW that the Savage will be consistent MOA with Accutips after two 3 shot groups, but more shooting close in (25 & 50 yards) indicate the likelihood is good.

I agree with the overall premise of your post:any shotgun slug can kill just fine.

Newer platforms and ammo, including the more powerful handgun cartridges, in competent hands can can deliver projectiles to target more accurately with more consistancy, and at longer yardage, than our traditional slug guns and ammo are capable of.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

My experience does not mirror yours nor JJ's, Ross Sigfried told me that the 416 Rigby worked perfectly at the original 2350 and he saw no need to run it faster. I have seen the lights turned out instantly with a body shot on a mature bull Buffalo with a 180 grain TSX bullet with a body shot and I have seen a black buck run over 200 yards shot with the same combination. Day in and day out in my experience the wide meplat hard casts have killed as well as any combo

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I agree with JWP and how rifles got into this I don't know. It was also about deer not elephants.
I have killed deer with everything legal and since going only to revolvers I can only say you can experience anything from lost deer to exploded meat. The revolver can be misused as often as a rifle. It is not magic and follows the same standards.
There is still a stigma over velocity only that does not fit. There is still book ME figures that mean nothing.
Listen to JWP. We have had disagreements, us two. Simple stuff like a primer but he knows about game.
Whitworth knows too. I back them because there is no bull.
You can listen to me too but after way more then about 400 to 420 deer kills (lost count ages ago.) I might not have enough experience. I shot six this season with revolvers of different calibers and can tell you exactly what each did.
I defer to those with one deer kill.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by bfrshooter
I agree with JWP and how rifles got into this I don't know. It was also about deer not elephants.
I have killed deer with everything legal and since going only to revolvers I can only say you can experience anything from lost deer to exploded meat. The revolver can be misused as often as a rifle. It is not magic and follows the same standards.
There is still a stigma over velocity only that does not fit. There is still book ME figures that mean nothing.
Listen to JWP. We have had disagreements, us two. Simple stuff like a primer but he knows about game.
Whitworth knows too. I back them because there is no bull.
You can listen to me too but after way more then about 400 to 420 deer kills (lost count ages ago.) I might not have enough experience. I shot six this season with revolvers of different calibers and can tell you exactly what each did.
I defer to those with one deer kill.

So you averaged killing 10 deer a year for the last 40 years in a row or 8 deer in a row for the last 50 years? If this is the case, then i wonder why you are also chasing bullet performance? I have one handgun kill, but many rifle/muzzleoader kills.

Not saying you don't know your stuff, but if you have a bullet that you know works, why are you trying all kinds of others?

You would rather have a 500 gr. WFP @ 800fps than a 250 gr. HP @ 1600?

You have lost more deer and had a worse bloodtrail with a HP than when using a WFN?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is no doubt that at the low end of the velocity spectrum you must use hard cast bullets that provide great penetration.

However once you have plenty of penetration better options become available. This is clearly evidenced by the enormous success of the Barnes TSX bullets. They not only penetrate, but they open up causing astonishing trauma.

Prior to that development the partition was the standard. Another bullet that will penetrate and expand.

To my knowledge nobody shooting a firearm with High available velocity chooses to improve killing power by reducing velocity and selecting solids, hard cast, or metal cased bullets.

There is very little that knocks down deer size game then a 25/06 with a high velocity ballistic tip.

When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
There is no doubt that at the low end of the velocity spectrum you must use hard cast bullets that provide great penetration.

However once you have plenty of penetration better options become available. This is clearly evidenced by the enormous success of the Barnes TSX bullets. They not only penetrate, but they open up causing astonishing trauma.

Prior to that development the partition was the standard. Another bullet that will penetrate and expand.

To my knowledge nobody shooting a firearm with High available velocity chooses to improve killing power by reducing velocity and selecting solids, hard cast, or metal cased bullets.

There is very little that knocks down deer size game then a 25/06 with a high velocity ballistic tip.

JJ, this is exactly my point also. Why own a Ferrari if you only use 1st gear? What would your pick be for a .454 Casull for whitetail deer in a wooded area 50yds and under, the 260gr. partition, the 250gr. XPB (both at 1,750 fps) or the 300gr. XTP mag (1,450 fps)?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is another thread from the last month on this forum on this topic. I posted some detailed results from damage control operations I ran, and the guiding for bears over more then a decade and several hundred killed. The text in that thread is very relevant to your question. I just don't recall the thread title to search for it.

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Yeah Ricky, you're right on the speeds, especially in the longer barrels! The highest maximums are pretty close, although the speeds advertised for the slugs are higher, I've never clocked any that met the "1,900" in 2 3/4 hull. The 3 inchers are another matter....

Yes, the accuracy of the sabots and the rifled barrels have it all over the old Brennekes and Fosters, as well as drop, but as far as the "spectacle" of hitting, the bigger, blunt slugs win. But the deer still die.
The Lightfields and BRI clones seem a good combination of all the good things.

To the OP: I've only had one issue with the 12 gauge PT Gold opening, and it was far beyond the range and the impact speeds you describe; the 20 gauge 260gr slug has always opened up for me and others and perhaps if you drive that same bullet to 1,800 fps in your Casull you won't lose another deer since it has always opened for me.

I used to wind up my 45 Colts as hard as I could lean on them for deer especially with expanding jacketed bullets, but quite honestly I never had any issues even with cast bullets and have been loading them to 1,100 fps or so and they never go far and can always be found. Quite frankly I've never had any bad instances with them; one of my compadres has even used hard cast 180's in his 357 without issue on deer.

I guess another suggestion would be to get a wide hard cast and shoot them lengthwise.....that works well too.

I like JJ's remarks "To my knowledge nobody shooting a firearm with High available velocity chooses to improve killing power by reducing velocity and selecting solids, hard cast, or metal cased bullets."

From what I've seen, the best improvement in killing power is hitting; shooting cheap solids in profusion with loads one can handle has a tendency to produce results totally beyond ego.

Last edited by HawkI; 12/14/12.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
j1r11

Here is another thread that shares many of the thoughts involved here. Additional unrelated detail is also there, but some of the information may help you with the choices you are looking for.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth..._357_magnum_bear_load_bullet#Post7172544

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
j1r11

Here is another thread that shares many of the thoughts involved here. Additional unrelated detail is also there, but some of the information may help you with the choices you are looking for.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth..._357_magnum_bear_load_bullet#Post7172544

Thanks.

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H

FYI, if a lighter bullet is not constructed as tough, getting the top speed (and the attendant pressures of the 454) is not a good thing. For example, you could use the Speer 250 Gold Dot HP, but it would need to be loaded slower both speed and pressure wise than its thick jacketed 300gr. counterpart.

Some bullets are designed for the 454's top speed pressures, others are not; bullet weight does not matter, since the ass of the bullet gets the pressure and needs to keep its shape, else pressures go nuts.

Last edited by HawkI; 12/14/12.
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

674 members (1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 160user, 10gaugemag, 66 invisible), 3,074 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,264
Posts18,467,183
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.