24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 17 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 16 17
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ha! You bastid, I got one like that today too ( also with balls bigger than mine...) And one only slightly smaller committed suicide an hour later grin

Im just guessing but if the males are on the move, we must be getting close to mating season, which is usually January here.
I usually get a influx of young adult males at the squirrel motel in January....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
BP-B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Saw two fox squirrels playing grab-ass here today. I think the bucks must be pushing the does a little already to test them out.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Hey ingwe, ya come back east for your squirrel safari, next year, what kinda fire power ya bringin'?

maddog

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
It would be a heavy Ruger 77/22 and the same in a 77/17 Hummer...

Dis would be the .17

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Well, guess what, I'm thinkin' of gettin me a .17 hmr. Prolly the Sportster with the heavy barrel. I got a 3x9 scope with illuminated reticles and BDC just itchin' for it. We could have a whole buncha fun! wink grin

maddog

IC B2

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Forgot to say.....it'll have a bubba buddy on board! laugh

maddog

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I can soot 'em in the eyeball from a hunnert yards with the Hummer grin

Just say 'no' to Bubba Buddies....

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
The boy is coming home tomorrow, for a squirrel hunt. Got us lined up on a new spot that is lousy with squirrels, and nobody hunts them! grin

Details sometime tomorrow nite!

maddog

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You suck!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Another squirrel checked into the Squirrel motel..... whistle

Unlucky #13....

IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
day before yesterday, i'm out on a drive at work, and i pass a local National Wildlife Refuge i have passed probably a few hundred times on the way to the property i own. Never stopped in before.

saw a sign that said HQ Office, so i veer off to go explore, a few miles later find the office to get a brochure/map.

The place is 9000 acres of hardwoods & creekbottons, laced with oaks and pecan trees. i see squirrel nests in the trees in ridiculous numbers. never saw another car parked at the 3 parking areas i went past.

guess where i'm gonna try to be next weekend?

============================================================

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by ingwe
Another squirrel checked into the Squirrel motel.....Unlucky #13....

i'm only at about half your body count, i have neglected my pursuits of limb-chicken lately.

a single skinny gray fell to the Maple Mutilator last weekend, started drizzling not long after i got out, seemed to keep them subdued a bit. Plus i couldnt hear them rattling around in the leaves on the ground like usual.

this one showed at first light, and i tried a wobbly rest & clean missed him at about 75 yards, but he paused at the shot & i drilled him on the reload.

[Linked Image]

============================================================

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Well, the boy and I went to the new place. Hunted almost 2 hrs., nada. Went down the road 4 miles and hunted a place for 1 hr. nada. We decided that we hadn't had enough cold weather, and it was cold this am, and the squirrels simply weren't moving. Headed back towards home, and hit a place about 4 miles north of town. By this time, it's about noon, and up to about 40 degrees. I sent the boy one way, and I went another. Within 5 min., I heard him shoot. I moved on and found a pair chasing each other up and down a tree. I couldn't get any closer than about 40 yds. Lined up, and dropped both with head shots, one shot each. I then heard the boy shoot behind me, and he connected with another one. Four squirrels within 45 minutes. All were taken between noon and 1 pm.

[Linked Image]

My two.

[Linked Image]

Dan's two.

maddog

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by FyrepowrX

The place is 9000 acres of hardwoods & creekbottons, laced with oaks and pecan trees. i see squirrel nests in the trees in ridiculous numbers. never saw another car parked at the 3 parking areas i went past.

guess where i'm gonna try to be next weekend?

Krapp Id be on that like Rosie Odonnel on the seat of a Subaru!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Mike...your kid hunts with a classy gun....

Just saying'..... whistle

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Yeah, I got one of them classy guns, too. BUT I'm having such a great time hunting with the single shot, with the bubba buddy.....just ta needle yer azz! laugh

Just sayin'......grin

maddog

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You suck.....

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
It was too nice of a day, not to go hunting, yesterday. Sunny, little breeze, almost 50 degrees. Went back to a new place, where my son and I got skunked, last week. Hadn't any more than parked the truck and got out, when I spotted this squirrel. 40+ yard shot. Missed with the first shot, then heard the whack on the second. Went over to the tree, and watched the lil bastid go in a hole. I was cussing my luck, when I walked around the tree, and found the little varmint laying on the ground. The tree was hollow, and he fell down thru it to the ground. As always, I'd rather be lucky than good. grin

[Linked Image]

Looked around for the better part of 2 hrs. Saw one othe gray haulin tail across the bottoms, and a fox squirrel runnin' over the top of the ridge. I cleaned the squirrel, and when I went to leave, I counted 5 up by the guy's house that let me hunt. Oh well, there will be another day. grin

Here's a quick pic of the woods I was hunting.

[Linked Image]

Man, it was sure beautiful and peaceful, back in those bottoms.

maddog

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by ingwe
I can soot 'em in the eyeball from a hunnert yards with the Hummer grin

You come hunt with me, with that hummer, ya better hit em in the eyeball...if not, yer cleanin the remains by yerself! grin

maddog

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I actually took the hummer out to check it and found it is suddenly lacking in the accuracy dept. Course...I havent cleaned it for 5,000 rounds...so I'll try that first... whistle

Also rescoped my .22 for Squirrel Safari....

Page 10 of 17 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
678 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12308300, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 71 invisible), 2,796 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,634
Posts18,398,904
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.