-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We were raised on moose, and garden veggies....mother wouldn't feed us that pizza pie. I had my first taste in the early 70s at a pizza hut, still prefer a nice chunk of moose meat. :-)

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by packrat77
My mom made her pizza from a Chef-BOY-AR DEE kit. Don't remember the first time I ate pizza at a restaurant.

+1
Wifey says make it +2....

beati pacifici quoniam filii Dei vocabuntur Matthew 5:9
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
well good lordy yes

give me a moose roast with taters, carrots, onions and celery and you can keep all the danged pizza for yourself

but will say those take home and bake pizza's from Papa Murhpys are pretty danged good.

I walked in when they were first opened after buying groceries at the Safeway and when I saw the prices and you had to cook them yourself walked right out without ordering anything. F that says me

couple of years later we're at a party and I'm like "where'd this pizza come from, this is pretty decent?" yep Papa Murphy's

but the best pizza I've had was in Chicago, good eats in that burgh

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pizio's Drive Inn on South Federal Highway in Ft. Lauderdale, FL, sometime around 1957 or 58 with my parents. I remember it burned my tongue but it was great. They had an indoor part where we ate and a drive in complete with car hops on the other side.

They were a chain, this one is in Key West but looks similar to the old Ft. Lauderdale one.

[Linked Image]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Remember Mom making pizza on a large rectangle baking pan, had to been in the late 60's. Hamburger, onion and bacon is still my favorite pie, just cant eat it any longer.

IC B2

ADP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm thinking it was probably Pizza Hut sometime in the late 80's as I'm in my late twenties. I don't remember but I love italian type foods so I must have enjoyed it.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Lots more memorable "firsts" than pizza pie. wink

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jnyork
Pizza, that is. laugh

Shakeys Pizza, Novato, CA January, 1965, 24 years old, just off the boat from over 4 years overseas in the Far East and Southeast Asia.

Holy $hit...Shakey's Pizza, I forgot all about it. I loved it as a kid (8-10 years old). They had a big window where you could watch the guys make the pizza's and a player piano banging away in the background. That was in 1970-1972. Thanks for the memory jn!!!

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Shakey's - you didn't mention the grease/oil pooled on the pizza.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't remember but at least for that one I bet I was sober.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have no actual memory of eating pizza for the first time in my life. My family moved to Chicago around late 1953-ish, so I'd guess my very first taste of pizza was not too long after and most definitely was a real Chicago style pizza at a pizza parlor.

Through the next 11-12 years that we lived up there a fair number of Chicago style pizza were consumed by me.

Over the years since leaving Chicago, I've eaten plenty of pretty good pizza, several real good pizza, and I've eaten a few dang good pizza but I have yet to taste any other pizza their equal anywhere else since.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pizza, that is. laugh

Shakeys Pizza, Novato, CA January, 1965, 24 years old, just off the boat from over 4 years overseas in the Far East and Southeast Asia.

Shakeys!!!!! Man O man, that brings back memories. I don't remember when or where my very first pizza was, but as far as I'm concerned, the first one I remember is the Shakey's in San Jose, Ca.

Early '70s. Besides family outings every few months, the little league baseball, football, and soccer always had their dinners their (I'm a tad younger than you I think. wink )

Every pizza I've ever had has been judged by those Shakey's pizzas. And NONE have compared. They just don't make them like that anymore.

Last edited by pira114; 12/15/12.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For those interested, the history of Shakey's. First one was Sacramento, Ca. I was surprised to find out there are still plenty out there. Just none where I travel.

Shakey's Pizza History

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Jet Drive In just outside the gate at Cherry Point MCAS in North Carolina. I was 20 years old and it was in 1958. Every Thursday night the E Club on Cherry Point would sell 9 inch pizzas (made fresh) for 10 cents. Pepperoni pizzas were 15 cents.

Last edited by MColeman; 12/15/12.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pira114
Pizza, that is. laugh

Shakeys!!!!! Man O man, that brings back memories. I don't remember when or where my very first pizza was, but as far as I'm concerned, the first one I remember is the Shakey's in San Jose, Ca.

Early '70s. Besides family outings every few months, the little league baseball, football, and soccer always had their dinners their (I'm a tad younger than you I think. wink )

Every pizza I've ever had has been judged by those Shakey's pizzas. And NONE have compared. They just don't make them like that anymore.

Yep. I'm a Shakeys Pizza fanboy ... or was ... until they closed frown

Redding, Ca back in the 70's. That was THE place to get a pizza. To this day I still search for a pizza that comes close to what Shakey's made but with no luck.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
First I can remember was at Shakey's in Kansas City.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In HS I was in a German band that played Friday and Saturday nights at the Reno NV Shakey's. We got $50.00 to divide up per night and all the pizza and soft drink we wanted afterward.

I also listened to Shakey's Whoopie Hour late at night. Doug Pledger was the host.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Bay-Area-radio-broadcaster-Doug-Pledger-dies-3219301.php

DJML and Burt--
Amen to that, brother. I bought a copy from Burt a couple of
Sacramentos ago and got him to autograph it for me. It's not only
well written, but intersting and humorous and informative about those
times decades ago in California.
Actually, Shakey had a very large influence on me. In the early
1960s i was going to the University of Nevada in Reno, and there used
to be a radio program called "Shakey's Whoopee Hour" that i listened
to every chance i got. Not only did they play cuts of bits by the
latest comedians (Shelley Berman, Bill Cosby, Bob Newhart, etc.), but
they played a lot of dixieland and other great stuff. There's no
show like it any more that i know of.
Come to think of it, Shakey's is also responsible for my liking
anchovies. I (and other dissolute reprobates, i.e., musicians) used
to spend a lot of time at the Shakey's in west Reno drinking beer and
eating pizza, and it came to pass that the only thing i could still
taste after drinking three pitchers of beer was the anchovies.
There's also the times that good ol' Barrie Moore (departed from this
plane of existence 30 years ago), all 6-foot-6 and 350 pounds of him,
used to win bets at Shakey's by opening his throat and pouring down
an entire pitcher of beer at once. Then he would blithely smuggle
three or four empty pitchers out of Shakey's under his voluminous
jacket without any of the staff being able to tell. He was also the
one who, because he was too big to march (no uniform would fit, and
he played bassoon anyway), was put in charge of distributing the
uniforms to the band. One so-called wit (about half) in the band
asked him how to tell what size of spats to wear (but there was only
one size), and without missing a beat Barrie said, "Simple, just
measure your tibia and divide by two." Ah, the good old days of
Shakey's . . .

Dan

Last edited by luv2safari; 12/15/12.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Shakeys Pizza I believe in the late 60's was the first storebought pizza...

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by eh76
Man I remember Mom making them at home from scratch long before I got a store bought version

from a boxed version: Appian Way Pizza

A dough mix, canned sauce, grated parm. Made me a tough little kid.

First Pizza for real: Straw Hat Pizza approximately 1969.

Last edited by BMT; 12/15/12.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by eh76
Man I remember Mom making them at home from scratch long before I got a store bought version

this!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

399 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 33 invisible), 2,589 guests, and 1,007 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,283
Posts18,467,796
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.