24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
X
X
Great thread, gentlemen. Just couldn't remain lurking in the bushes. Clearly, many of us suffer (enjoy) the same rimfire affliction. I presently house and feed four SA 54s. (A fifth was sacrificed for textbook money in the 70s. Still, I weep...) All are in the skip-line, roll-over, configuration. I like the looks of the conservative low-combs, but shoot mine better. (Better cheekweld with scopes.) All have been in long rifle, except for the lone .22Mag that has been my favorite companion in the squirrel woods since1970ish. All are sub-minute with their favorite loads. (All shoot groups up to four times larger with disfavored ammo. You simply must experiment!) I have, or had, 52Sporters, Kimbers, Sakos, et al., but still most often choose a 54 when the harem is summoned. The earlier rifles, as noted, are older, rarer, and more more painful in the purchase, but have not proven any better shooters (variations on perfection?). BTW, the Savage-marked rifles tend to be priced lower thanidentical "pure" Anschutz models. Also, the current Anschutz production is MUCH more expensive, even though now lacking the banded sights and that beautiful sculptured trigger guard. I don't believe you will be displeased with a good condition SA 54. (BTW, still lusting after a full-stocked 1730 series. Just unwilling to ante-up...) Pax

BP-B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

xgboy:

I know it's been 9 years, but ...

welcome to the 'Fire.

X
X
Thanks TJM. Some are merely, uh, um slow to commit.?. This 54 thread dragged me, resisting, from beneath my favorite rock. Drop your guard for an instant... I''ve been a regular shooter since age seven, like most, beginning with a .22 single shot. Probably even chose a law enforcement career because I thought it might involve free ammo. (Only very partially correct.) While I spend more time and lucre heating up centerfire rifles and handguns, rimfire time is somehow more 'pure' shooting. A day afield with a 54Annie is always exciting, instructional, satisfying. Supremely accurate sporters, the 54s can claim the bragging shots - leaving me to assume full responsibility for the misses. They are nearly pure target lineage, with accommodations for the woods. The .22 WMR, using 'solids' is a magnificent performer on bushy-tailed tree rats and other edibles. Sadly, it has been driven from the product line by the .17s, alas. In the woods, its added range and impact over the long rifle is all one can ask (or use, really). In the hickories, if you can see that perfect shot, the 54 can make it - leaving me as the only uncertain element. No, this old Boy Scout has never outgrown a really good rimfire, and the 54 Anschutz may well be the best. Well, I AM prejudiced... Pax

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
675 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 57 invisible), 3,129 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,742
Posts18,401,219
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.