Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
OP Offline
B
Hey I'm really interested in buying a pre64 m70. First off i cant hardly find any that look like there in good condition or good enough for my taste (98-99%). I know for this condition range I will have to fork out a large roll of cash but oh well. So if anyone can tell me some maybe less traveled auction sites that might have one, it would be much appreciated. I would also thank anyone that can give me some pointers on how to tell if the bluing has been redone, or if the stock has been refinished,or pointers on catching some of the less obvious things like correct butt plate, LOP, esc. Than you for reading.

BP-B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
One thing I can say is if it looks too good, then it's probably been messed with (bluing and wood)....If the stock looks like your typical telephone pole then it's probably original....Metal finish will probably be 3 toned as well. Look for a matte finish receiver, dull blued barrel and half worn floor plate and you'll be in like flynn... grin. What flavor of pre 64 are you most interested in? Std wt, fwt, supergrade, transition, pre war. What chambering are you looking for as well. We are here to help grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dave Riffle Guns. Model 70

There are some beautiful, high condition rifles on this site.
Not the least expensive...

Last edited by mcmurphrjk; 12/16/12. Reason: spelling

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mcmurphrjk
Dave Riffle Guns. Model 70

There are some beautiful, high condition rifles on this sight.
Not the least expensive...

I've done a ton of shooting in Northern NV. Miss the hell out of those night time rabbit chasings/shootings from the back of a pu truck... grin wink

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Just my .02, but just like Mausers, when it comes to pre-64 m70s,
its best to handle as many as you can before you buy one. Also
pays to hit the books.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I've done a ton of shooting in Northern NV. Miss the hell out of those night time rabbit chasings/shootings from the back of a pu truck... grin wink

A good, practical use for an AR.

Last edited by mcmurphrjk; 12/16/12.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
B
OP Offline
B
30-06, 270, 264 normal deer rounds basically. And thanks for the reply

B
OP Offline
B
Thanks this website is exactly what I was looking for!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is a lot to learn about the model 70. I would suggest you pick up a copy of Roger Rules book " the rifleman rifle". It will explain to you the 3 main receivers and all of the changes that occurred during its run. Spotting a reblued gun is pretty easy and just like any other gun. Good luck.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by baberuth43
30-06, 270, 264 normal deer rounds basically. And thanks for the reply

I favor the fwt's personally. I've seen a few nice ones on Gunbroker and gunsinternational. Here are a few you can look at:

This one appears to be a nice example of a decent fwt model:
http://www.gunsinternational.com/Winchester-Pre-64-Mod-70-Fwt-30-06.cfm?gun_id=100306450
It's priced a little high, but a good example of an "honest" rifle.

Here's another:
http://www.gunsinternational.com/Winchester-Model-70-Featherweight-in-270-Win.cfm?gun_id=100301721

And another:
http://www.gunsinternational.com/Winchester-M70-FW-30-06.cfm?gun_id=100297682

BSA MAGA
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Dave Riffle once sold me a "98% wood and 98% metal" pre-64 Featherweight. I posted this once before several years ago but to repeat the gist of my old post, the checkering looked like it had been recut by a four year old child. If you buy any firearm from Dave Riffle you better make sure up front about return privileges and when you get the firearm you better make sure and certain to check all the little places on the stock to make sure it wasn't refinished. I also paid him an extra $35 for expedited shipping and got the rifle in over two weeks. I still have the rifle and what I say is true. I would not buy a pack of gum from that man. I also hope his amnesia has been cured.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by model70man
Dave Riffle once sold me a "98% wood and 98% metal" pre-64 Featherweight. I posted this once before several years ago but to repeat the gist of my old post, the checkering looked like it had been recut by a four year old child. If you buy any firearm from Dave Riffle you better make sure up front about return privileges and when you get the firearm you better make sure and certain to check all the little places on the stock to make sure it wasn't refinished. I also paid him an extra $35 for expedited shipping and got the rifle in over two weeks. I still have the rifle and what I say is true. I would not buy a pack of gum from that man. I also hope his amnesia has been cured.
+1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Cartod
Originally Posted by model70man
+1

I'll have to remember that as well...Thanks guys...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Your guess is as good as mine..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ol Dave will build one for ya,if he don't have in stock...
Let's leave it at that....

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

...I don't think so,typical late built gun,finish is weak,like most at the end

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rifle

That's what I thought as well. Cartrod may have some inside information on that particular rifle though....

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rifle

That's what I thought as well. Cartrod may have some inside information on that particular rifle though....
Id bet good money. Look underneath the old dark spots are comings thru and someone also recut the machine checkering. When I first learned how to refinish this is what my wood looked like......hell.

I also see dark spots that are dents that seem were steamed out. Too much bluing wear on the floor plate for wood to be perfect.

PS. I don't have any inside info. It's just my opinion.

Last edited by Cartod; 12/16/12.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
We value your opinion here. You generally know your business...

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
386 members (1lesfox, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 40 invisible), 2,049 guests, and 890 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,970
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.