R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
**shaking head**

You amaze me Dave! That looks awesome!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

BP-B2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by rflshtr
Looks great. What brand of paint did you use? I need to repaint one of my tent wood stoves.

it's just a can of hi temp rustoleum we picked up at hardware store.

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by Rooster7
**shaking head**

You amaze me Dave! That looks awesome!

Thanks bud.

Well I have the boys working on the floor. This is how we're doing it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here's where the wood stove will go.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Something clever here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice work in progress.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
A couple of chips off the old block Dave.

Stove looks great.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's a big hole Dave! Better tether the boys. I got my spear and saw today. Hopefully watching the big aquarium next weekend.

Wood is Good.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Good luck 4!

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Looking good guys.

Me any my BIL spent the day up north on the new iron range spot. We grabbed the trail cams I put out a few weeks ago, checked on a beaver bog set up that rocks, and scouted the heck out of new clear cut that is at least a section in size.

About 4pm he jumped up on a stump in the cut and said "there's a deer looking at me." I climbed up on the stump and glassed it and said "it's a buck." He looked like a basket 6, possibly a fork.

We also jumped a doe and tonight discovered we were about 3 minutes behind her on the trail cam too. Kinda neat.

I'll post pics tomorrow after I get them all loaded.

I'm also becoming a big fan on the Primos Truth Cam 46. The picture quality is great!

Camp is where you make it.
C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Damn Dave, you sure are a creative [bleep]...that stove is sweet!!,

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I've never tried spearing but I love the old decoys that some guys collect. Do you guys make your own?

How deep can you reliably hit a fish?

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tzone

I'm also becoming a big fan on the Primos Truth Cam 46. The picture quality is great!

The one I got convinced my hunting partner to buy a few for the property we hunt.

smile

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by BrentD
I've never tried spearing but I love the old decoys that some guys collect. Do you guys make your own?

How deep can you reliably hit a fish?

Most spear fisherman try to keep the house in 10 feet of water or less. You hang the decoy (weather that be a fake or live large sucker on a harness) about 3 to 4 feet below the ice depending on water clarity. When a pike comes in, you slowly lower your spear into the water so you do not make a splash when you throw it. Aim for right behind the head and give it a toss. Most of the time the spear only travels a couple of feet before hitting the fish. The desired hit is right behind the head because it usually breaks the "neck" and you don't have a flopping fish at the end of your spear which can slip off. That shot also saves the fillets.

I should also add that there is rope tied to the end of the spear and secured to an eyebolt or something inside the house. This allows you to retrieve your spear and fish.

Last edited by Rooster7; 12/16/12.

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Sorry, been busy, but to answer the question, we got about 8-10" in the big storm and 2-4 this last weekend just after some rain.

I got myself out of the doghouse with a late night run up to Target to buy the Sound Of Music for my daughter (the wife was already in her PJs). For sure it was worth it. I just love December rooster hunts in the snow!

Did they change the spearing rule so you could have the sucker on a hook now? I thought they did that. I used to spear a lot, but havent for years. You always want to throw the spear straight down due to the refraction of the water. The fish is not where he looks like he is at when there is an angle. Sometimes they come in so fast it is a blur and your sucker is gone and you dont even twitch a finger. Other times they glide in and stop in the middle of the hole. other times they sit out about 4 feet and watch. It was always fun watching other fish as well. It will scare the heck out of you when a muskrat comes up into your hole. Or I have heard of beavers doing that too. On really cold days, it is possible for the ice to crack....right through your hole. There is a certain pucker factor associated with that. Oh, and the first date I ever had with my wife? Spearing!

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
You left a lot to be said on your last line BM

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
yeah, sometimes things are better left unsaid! Once it is out, better start elaborating.

S
SSB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Love the pics of the spear house and stove...etc. We used to spear pike on Saginaw Bay when I was young (40 yrs ago) and I haven't done it since.
The life skills you are equipping the boys with (whether they realize it yet or not) is simply amazing Dave. You are doing stuff with them constantly that will help carry them thru life in fine fashion. This thread could illustrate more about what to do than any "parenting" magazine that I've ever seen on the shelves.
Carry on Men.....

We eat organic in our house, we just have to shoot and gut it first.....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Had to take a break from homework and get caught up on the thread. Very cool stove Dave. There has to be a story behind the propane tank though. smile

Nate, spear house is going to be nice!!

Scott has his spear house all ready to put out. He should get laid off for the winter (hopefully by mid-week) so we can do some fishing. He also bought an angleing house last week. Pretty excited about that cuz I love to ice fish but have not done it for a couple years or so. smile

Last edited by Muffy; 12/17/12.

I am out of order until further notice. My "stupid people" filter needs cleaning and my "give a damn" batteries have run out.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Awwww yes. The wily muscrat popping up in your hole and giving you a hiss is always a heart starter. One weekend my cousin that I spear with, took his cousin on the other side spearing. He had two muscrats popping up in his hole and scaring the crap out of him so he speared them and threw them out the door. When it came time to leave they were surprised to see the two rats shaking and shivering underneath the pick up. My cousin felt sorry for them so he put on his gloves and picked them up by the tails and put them back down the hole that they had been speared out of. The next day they went down to fish and my cousins hole was clean as whistle while his cousins hole was plugged so tight with weeds it took him an hour to clean it all out. grin

I've also heard of a guy from a neighboring town that made a brand new exit in his house when a beaver came flying up the hole and landed on the floor, spraying water all over the hot stove.

I think I would probably just chit myself right there on the spot.

grin

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Well I promised pics so...

I'm not sure what clicked the trigger but here's a shot of one of the swamp crossings.
[Linked Image]

Found this on the way to the beaver bog. It was not there on Dec. 2 when I was there last.

[Linked Image]

Here is a shot from where a stand/blind will be. Looking to the north.
[Linked Image]

Looking back into the woods from the stand. The way I walked in.
[Linked Image]

About 1/2 way across the bog on top of the dam, looking west. It's about 300 yards to the tall pines in the top of the picture.
[Linked Image]

Same spot, looking east.
[Linked Image]

North end of the damn, looking back south to where the stand will be on the finger of Spruce coming down to the swamp. About 150-175 yards across the whole thing.
[img]http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr102/tzone777/186_zps4a96b0bd.jpg[/img]

This was at the north end of the beaver dam. I'm also pretty sure this wasn't here last time, because you HAVE to walk past it to get off the dam and it's not hard to see at all.
[img]http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr102/tzone777/185_zpsed5b6d19.jpg[/img]

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Well now, what happens in a spear house stays in the spear house! wink It was our first date though. But there is a good story that happened that day. Now imagine a very nervous 17 year old kid with this girl he has had his eye on for a long time, FINALLY out on a date with her. It was a small house, 4X6 if'n I remember correctly. I got the fuel oil stove behind me and she is on my left facing sideways. The dumb stove keeps going out and since it is behind me, I cannot see it. So finally I just asked her because it was easier for her to see, is the stove going? She says, "Yes". Well doggone it my back starts getting really warm and I hear something and turn around to find flames coming 2 feet out of the stove! The only pail I had was the minnow pail, so I quick grab the sucker out and hand it to her and say hold this and proceed to use the bucket to get water out of the hole and throw on the stove. We got it under control and back to ... umm... spearing....yeah we were spearing right? Yes, I do believe we were spearing. Somehow we didnt see a fish the whole time we were out. confused

That folks, was our first date. We have now been married 18 years, so I guess I didnt goof it up too bad!

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
Page 1,048 of 1,842 1 2 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
693 members (11point, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 160user, 117LBS, 12344mag, 75 invisible), 2,684 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,689
Posts18,399,819
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.