Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
Originally Posted by eh76
scenarshooter...looking at your rifle I see a cheekpiece for lack of a better word. What are you using? I am putting together a 6.5x47 Lapua and notice when shooting prone I would like a little higher comb on the stock. Thanks.

Very nice shooting. Hope my rifle will do as well.

Keith

[Linked Image]

Just a leather riser I made from heavy saddle stock, border stitched and dyed. I wet it down, then sew it together on the bottom. It helps raise the comb a hair, plus it's a lot nicer to put your face against leather than plastic when it's 40* below zero. Helps in the summer as well when it's 100+F.

Nice touch Pat. You never cease to amaze me. Looks very proffessional.

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by yukonal
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
Originally Posted by eh76
scenarshooter...looking at your rifle I see a cheekpiece for lack of a better word. What are you using? I am putting together a 6.5x47 Lapua and notice when shooting prone I would like a little higher comb on the stock. Thanks.

Very nice shooting. Hope my rifle will do as well.

Keith

[Linked Image]

Just a leather riser I made from heavy saddle stock, border stitched and dyed. I wet it down, then sew it together on the bottom. It helps raise the comb a hair, plus it's a lot nicer to put your face against leather than plastic when it's 40* below zero. Helps in the summer as well when it's 100+F.

Nice touch Pat. You never cease to amaze me. Looks very proffessional.

Looks higher quality than anything I recall on the market. Very nicely done.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
you should see and use his slings ! grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pat - regarding JLKs, here is a post from snipershide I had in a reply...

Better late than never...

I have killed no less than 500 deer with my x47. I am running a 130 Berger at 2940 fps in mine. My brother clones deer so we kill a crap load of doe every year for their overies.

I have shot a few pigs in my day as well with this round. I have used several bullets trying to figure out the best killing combo and here is MY opinion on what I have experienced. It is not holy nor sacred, just what happened and I observed. So take anything you read with a grain of salt as it may not turn out the same for you.

My rifles specs:
Rem 700 left hand
Lawton 1-8" twist finished at 29.5"
Fat bastard break
McMillan A3 with 3 way butt plate and adj cheek piece
Hubor concepts 2 stage trigger
Premier Ret 5-25x56
130 Berger VLD @2940 fps

123 Scenar- this bullet shoots great on paper with my rifle. consistant .3" groups. Even at 500 and 1000 it would print an occasional half min group. That is with three shots mind you. On game I was less than impressed. They have a bit thicker jacket and didnt expand too well. I actually never dropped a deer once with a shoulder shot. Head shots didnt show to do too much damage either. IMO this is not a great projectile for hunting.

123 SMK- This bullet shot absolutely lights out in my rifle. I had to shoot this round for the first thousand rounds or so because 130 bergers were rare as hens teeth. This round shot in the .1's-.2s all day long for 5 shots. At 600 yards this round printed a 3.4" 10 shot group shot prone. I had some interesting results with its terminal effects. The very first deer I shot was a cull 6 pt and he was 606 yards. I put a high shoulder shot on him and he folded up. The next few doe I shot I put shoulder shots just to see bullet performance. One was DRT and 4 ran off a good 100 yards before dying. Not what I like for the amount of deer I shoot. On the head shots again I didnt see consistant enough trama to use this as my go to bullet.

130 JLK- This is the best long range target bullet I have ever used. I have shot some groups that yall would flat out call BS on so I wont even say what it can do on paper. On critters...TERRIBLE! I never once dropped a deer with this bullet. Last month I was wanting to test it on a coyote. While waiting 800 yards from a gut pile, a BIG boar walked into the field at 660 yards. Dead calm wind. I fire up the video camera and zoom in on him. dial up and send the shot. I hear the bullet smack him and actually see it through my scope. Well he just absorbs the bullet and runs off without a limp. I maybe thought I missed..rewind the camera and you can see trace go down range and his upper shoulder ripple. He just absorbed it and trotted off. I even shot a crap load of prarie dogs this summer with the JLK and it just penciled through all of them. Only popped em if they were within 200 yards and thats off kinetic energy alone.

130 Berger- this is THE bullet for hunting for what I have found. I literally have not had a deer take a step yet from the hunting VLD. This bullet shoots very well on paper and shoots very well on critters. Wound cavities are unreal. It looks like a grenade goes off inside the deer. I almost took a does head off this last weekend! A few months back I shot a yote at 1230 yards and he folded up.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Pat,
I'm fortunate to live about 20 miles from where the JLK's are made so I just pick them up in person. I have not used the particular bullet you are using but have killed one antelope and one deer with the 7mm 168 gr JLK VLD at 3200 fps mv. Both shots were 250 yds more or less broadside and neither shot hit shoulder bone. Both produced 2-3" exit wounds and shredded lungs and heart nicely.(the deer is a fawn which makes the exit look bigger) I'm surprised to read the above post. Everything I have heard is that they perform very similar to Berger VLD's. Hope this helps.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sambo - I was just reporting another user's comments - I don't know how a JLK works on game, never found many user's reviews on them on game.

If they all perform like yours above - at various ranges, they will do fine from what I see wink

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd say those bullets work pretty well. Good news on the barrel life too!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I hear ya, 65BR. It looks like the person who posted the reply to you on snipershide shot a fair number of the .264 130 JLK's. I hope that scenarshooter has better luck with them. I'm betting that he lets the air out of some coyotes with them in short order.

PS I just looked on JLK's website yesterday and they have discontinued my 7mm 168's! I have about 30 of the 180's on hand, guess I'll have to see if they shoot as well as the 168's.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by sambo3006
I hear ya, 65BR. It looks like the person who posted the reply to you on snipershide shot a fair number of the .264 130 JLK's. I hope that scenarshooter has better luck with them. I'm betting that he lets the air out of some coyotes with them in short order.

PS I just looked on JLK's website yesterday and they have discontinued my 7mm 168's! I have about 30 of the 180's on hand, guess I'll have to see if they shoot as well as the 168's.

The 130 JLK's are working real good this week.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Pat,

You killing with them? How do they compare to the VLDs when it comes to killin'?

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
From what I've seen so far, they duplicate 130 VLD's.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pat,

JLK uses the same J4 jacket as the Berger VLD.

I have shot a bunch of game with them over the years and can see no difference in terminal performance between the Berger version and the JLK version.

The JLKs have a larger radius at the junction of the shank and ogive than the standard Berger VLD and can be more forgiving in some rifles. The Berger Hybrid has an even bigger radius and by all accounts is very forgiving in regards to seating depth.

Nice shooting grin

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good to hear that. Noz CC have a J4 as well....123/140s...

Pat glad to hear they are doing well for you.

So do the 'Hybrids' shoot better or just less fickle than the 'hunting' bullet? BC different?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Do the CC's still run J4 jackets? Nosler hasn't been touting it lately. I have a bunch of the cc 140's for my creedmoor but the 140 vld's are shooting so well they almost justify the price difference.

Bb

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
91 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,588 guests, and 784 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,764
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.