24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
hey guys i new here and im a bit confused . ive been reloading for about 5 years now and i have 2 7 mags ive been playing with . ive been shooting 140 gr sierra game kings and speer 145 gr boat tails mostly with imr 4350 and fed 215s . im shooting 64 grains and these loads shoot awesome , pretty much one hole at 100yds . i was looking up data last night and wonder why there is so much load data difference and speed difference from book to book . for example nosler shows 65 gr max with imr4350 and another book says 60 gr max . and the speeds will be 2930 in one book and 3280 in noslers book . so i guess my question is what is the best way to find the max load in a rifle when you run across this problem . would it be better to use a chronogragh to try and get to the speeds shown in books or what ? ive never chronoed any of these loads but as far as i can tell there is no signs of extreme pressure in either gun . the primers look good , ive loaded most of the cases 4 or 5 times already , and the bolt is easy to open . any suggestions are appreciated .

HR IC

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Shawn: Review a bunch of data from various sources,as many as possible and note correlations between charge weights and velocities...understand that your rifles may differ from the barrels used to aquire the data you are reviewing,and often by a substantial margin.This is true of any caliber, not just the 7 Rem mag.

Get a weighted "average" on the velocities and charge weights.Start low and work up,with a chronograph.Generally the faster you are going, the more pressure you are generating with a given powder....another powder may generate the same velocities with acceptable pressures ,ie be better suited to the combination you are using than another.

Without a chronograph you are working in the dark.

Try to use no more than one or two powder/bullet combos at a time to avoid jumping all over the place...this can lead to confusion and false results and no real conclusions.

When you think you have reached max for a trouble-free hunting load,take ten cases,and use the same max charges to check primer pocket tightness for several loadings in those ten cases.If your primer pockets stay relatively tight,and are absent of high pressure signs you are likely OK.

Sometimes this will correlate to listed data,and sometimes it won't.I would not be concerned.This is common with any cartridge; not just the 7 Rem Mag although the printed data does jump around.

What I do after all the other stuff above is done, is load a batch of ammo with that load and shoot year round;summer heat and winter cold,and watch the load.

This may not be perfect but is as close as we can get without pressure equipment for our rifles.

I have loaded for 7 Rem mags well into double figures.Using these methods I have not had so much as a hiccup with the cartridge,and great field performance from it as well...I can't even remember even getting an ejector mark on a case,and certainly never a blown primer.

I know the 4350's work in the 7 Rem Mag and some savy guys on here use it.I prefer something slower myself, but your work will tell you what works in your rifle.Good luck.

Welcome to the CF. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
In 24" barrel, my experience leads me to the following velocity thresholds with the 7RM:

120s - 3450ish
140s - 3350ish
150s - 3200ish
160s - 3050ish
175s - 2900+

Use your book (and your coconut) to get a good starting charge..... then work up. Good luck, and welcome.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Welcome to the 'fire.

I also found Load data in manuals is a 'little' anemic and greatly varied for the 7mm rem mag. Chronograph some factory ammo.... most stuff will not be as stated.

Agreed with bob, no chrono your kinda in the dark. I recommend using one highly.

In the heavier weight bullets in my 7mm rem mag, my findings have been spot-on with dogshooters said velocity, but with 'rogue' charges compared to most manual. Other than limited loads with some 150 grainers, I have not done much work with 160 gr. and below.

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
7mmshawn -

Welcome to the 'Fire', and sometimes it gets HOT round here.

BobNH has given very good advice per load development.

I use IMR 4350, knowing I could get a little more vel using slower burning powders. I am able to get the vel/accuracy I want.

Dogshooter - is also very close on expected vels.

Good Luck

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
thanks guys for the replys . it looks like i need a chrono to take to the range . i actually have one now but its wired for 110 so i only use it for archery work . and bobinnh thanks for the info on the 7mm mags . ive tried several slower powders and did not get the results i wanted as far as accuracy in both my 7 mags . i tried h1000 , retumbo , and 7828 but it could be bullet weights that i was shooting . i also tried rl22 and it shot good on 40 to 50 degree days and i went to shoot it on a day that 88 degrees and it was blowing primers out of the case so i stopped using hercules. i have shot the 4350 on days from 12 degrees to 90 with no issues so thats the only reason ive stuck with it .

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
My brother runs 140 TTSX at 3250 with 63.5 grains of RE17 (Tikka T3)... which is quite similar to 4350.

You could also back that RE22 load off a grain and give it a run... IME, it's hot loads that tend to get real hot when the mercury perks. A grain or grain and a half reduction could lead to little lost on the top end, with a lot more stability when it gets hot.

I've also seen good loads go bad, when it's hot out and you let one stew a little in the pipe.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by 7mmshawn
ive never chronoed any of these loads but as far as i can tell there is no signs of extreme pressure in either gun . the primers look good , ive loaded most of the cases 4 or 5 times already , and the bolt is easy to open . any suggestions are appreciated .

ive tried several slower powders and did not get the results i wanted as far as accuracy in both my 7 mags . i tried h1000 , retumbo , and 7828 but it could be bullet weights that i was shooting . i also tried rl22 and it shot good on 40 to 50 degree days and i went to shoot it on a day that 88 degrees and it was blowing primers out of the case so i stopped using hercules.

Didn't notice this before..... but it looks like you found your signs of pressure.

Classic example of without a chrony.... you're just guessin'. Even after you've got the chrony... it's just a informed guess.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
ive never chronoed any of these loads but as far as i can tell there is no signs of extreme pressure in either gun . the primers look good , ive loaded most of the cases 4 or 5 times already , and the bolt is easy to open . any suggestions are appreciated .

ive tried several slower powders and did not get the results i wanted as far as accuracy in both my 7 mags . i tried h1000 , retumbo , and 7828 but it could be bullet weights that i was shooting . i also tried rl22 and it shot good on 40 to 50 degree days and i went to shoot it on a day that 88 degrees and it was blowing primers out of the case so i stopped using hercules.

Didn't notice this before..... but it looks like you found your signs of pressure.

Classic example of without a chrony.... you're just guessin'. Even after you've got the chrony... it's just a informed guess.

yeah i did see signs of pressure with rl22 but nothing else ive shot has . retumbo and h1000 just didnt shoot under an inch so its not for me . im still getting a chrono though for kicks , ill just tell my wife its for safety measures , lol .

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hornady Vol. II is your huckleberry!
They have loads for the 139 Gr. Interlock of 3350 to 3400 both loads will chronograph at those speeds out of a 24" barrel.

Last edited by 17ACKLEYBEE; 12/17/12.

NRA Lifetime Member
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
hey guys i new here and im a bit confused . ive been reloading for about 5 years now and i have 2 7 mags ive been playing with . ive been shooting 140 gr sierra game kings and speer 145 gr boat tails mostly with imr 4350 and fed 215s . im shooting 64 grains and these loads shoot awesome , pretty much one hole at 100yds . i was looking up data last night and wonder why there is so much load data difference and speed difference from book to book . for example nosler shows 65 gr max with imr4350 and another book says 60 gr max . and the speeds will be 2930 in one book and 3280 in noslers book . so i guess my question is what is the best way to find the max load in a rifle when you run across this problem . would it be better to use a chronogragh to try and get to the speeds shown in books or what ? ive never chronoed any of these loads but as far as i can tell there is no signs of extreme pressure in either gun . the primers look good , ive loaded most of the cases 4 or 5 times already , and the bolt is easy to open . any suggestions are appreciated .

I love "1 hole" guns.... whistle. Fill us in on this sucker....Pics appreciated too...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
its not anything special to be honest . its just a 111 savage that just happens to shoot good . i do also have a win 70 7 mag that im working on but i need a good stock on it . i really havent shot it much since im waiting to project it . ill see if i can find some pics .

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE
They have loads for the 139 Gr. Interlock of 3350 to 3400 both loads will chronograph at those speeds out of a 24" barrel.

Spot On! I've found a FEW loads there a little too WARM. Maybe lot/lot variation.

Nonetheless , approach ALL max loads w/care.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
its not anything special to be honest . its just a 111 savage that just happens to shoot good . i do also have a win 70 7 mag that im working on but i need a good stock on it . i really havent shot it much since im waiting to project it . ill see if i can find some pics .

No files on the savages. 9 times out of 10 they are shooters.....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE

Spot On! I've found a FEW loads there a little too WARM. Maybe lot/lot variation.

Nonetheless , approach ALL max loads w/care.

Yah I guess that's why they tell you to drop back and work up. We all do that right?

Last edited by 17ACKLEYBEE; 12/18/12.

NRA Lifetime Member
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Bob nailed it.

Seat depth and primers can also be major factors in getting a particular load to shoot.

Last edited by TakeEm; 12/18/12. Reason: spellin

Isaiah 6:8

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
can somebody tell me how to post pictures? i shot a few different loads today and wanted to get some feedback .

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
700 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 78 invisible), 2,935 guests, and 1,362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,681
Posts18,399,678
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.