Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I think we should all own and keep assault weapons at home, hopefully once they get banned in the usa the supply up here will be enhanced a little. ;-) With all that is going on in our world it's just a matter of time before the next big war breaks out, if it ever comes to my neighborhood I'd prefer to have a weapon and not just a hunting rifle.

Any thoughts?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What's the closest thing to an AR type rifle that you guys can currently own? A BAR?

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
The absolute birthright to own ANY type of weapon or tool that a native-born Canadian chooses to has been abrogated in Canada, for many decades.

This, is a disgrace and an insult to the memory of the tens of thousands of Canadians who died to preserve this nation from it's inception in the 16thC. by various northwestern European colonists and many fine aboriginal peoples, as well.

This, plus the hideous genocide of "by choice" abortion are the two aspects of my beloved country that both sicken and enrage me and I have fought by peaceful and legal methods against both for more than forty years.

Oddly, I have a lot of rather "highend" guns and NO military ones as they do not interest me and I see no need in MY life for spending money on them. However, if my friend, Jim "Canuckshooter" even WANTS to own one, it is his RIGHT!!!!!

However, many politicians, ESPECIALLY those of "non-traditional" immigrant origin, are totally against Jim and I and other Canadians,owning ANY guns......what,I wonder, should we Canucks do about this travesty?

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
if it ever comes to my neighborhood I'd prefer to have a weapon and not just a hunting rifle.

Any thoughts?

In the right hands, and I am right handed, wink my hunting rifles are weapons. I have one that is supposed to hold true to 1000 metres, though I have never shot it that far. It's good to a quarter of a mile, though.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
The magazine capacity seems be be a conundrum.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
exbio - from my understanding, you can own an AR-15 or handgun, but you must complete extra training (to get a "restricted" firearms license) and then you can only use a restricted firearm at an approved gun range - and no where else. You must also have authorization to transport such a firearm to and from the range.

There are certain firearms that are "prohibited", meaning you can't own them no matter what. Someone else might be able to dig up a list of those.

For general hunting shotguns and rifles, you complete a weekend course and take a test, giving you a license for "non-restricted" weapons meaning you can legally buy, sell, use and possess non-restricted firearms. This must be renewed every 5 years by simply filling out a form.

Being an American living in Canada, who spends a great deal of time in the northern bush, I find it weird to not carry a sidearm of the handgun variety for all sorts of useful purposes, but it is what it is.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
shootist - I think the biggest debate centered on having guns for protection is the thought of mass armaggedon meaning you would want a gun with stopping power that holds lots of ammo, not to snipe at long ranges. Hence the debate around mag capacity and semi auto/auto. Look at the videos of Black Friday and replace cheap Chinese electronics with food or water.

I think a 12 gauge with extended tube mag is your best bet for home based defense against a mob, some prefer an AR-15 set-up.

I like to look on the bright side but I have that luxury living in the North. If the SHTF, I jump on my skidoo, or grab the canoe and hole up for awhile.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by kutenay
The absolute birthright to own ANY type of weapon or tool that a native-born Canadian chooses to has been abrogated in Canada, for many decades.

This, is a disgrace and an insult to the memory of the tens of thousands of Canadians who died to preserve this nation from it's inception in the 16thC. by various northwestern European colonists and many fine aboriginal peoples, as well.

This, plus the hideous genocide of "by choice" abortion are the two aspects of my beloved country that both sicken and enrage me and I have fought by peaceful and legal methods against both for more than forty years.

Oddly, I have a lot of rather "highend" guns and NO military ones as they do not interest me and I see no need in MY life for spending money on them. However, if my friend, Jim "Canuckshooter" even WANTS to own one, it is his RIGHT!!!!!

However, many politicians, ESPECIALLY those of "non-traditional" immigrant origin, are totally against Jim and I and other Canadians,owning ANY guns......what,I wonder, should we Canucks do about this travesty?

I wish we had more people like you in the US. You sir, are a patriot.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JFKinYK
exbio - from my understanding, you can own an AR-15 or handgun, but you must complete extra training (to get a "restricted" firearms license) and then you can only use a restricted firearm at an approved gun range - and no where else. You must also have authorization to transport such a firearm to and from the range.

There are certain firearms that are "prohibited", meaning you can't own them no matter what. Someone else might be able to dig up a list of those.

For general hunting shotguns and rifles, you complete a weekend course and take a test, giving you a license for "non-restricted" weapons meaning you can legally buy, sell, use and possess non-restricted firearms. This must be renewed every 5 years by simply filling out a form.

Being an American living in Canada, who spends a great deal of time in the northern bush, I find it weird to not carry a sidearm of the handgun variety for all sorts of useful purposes, but it is what it is.

In accordance with the Firearms Act, a new firearms safety course focusing on restricted firearms (primarily handguns) was developed and implemented on February 1, 1999. The legislation stipulates that individuals wishing to acquire restricted and/or prohibited firearms must take the Canadian Firearms Safety Course (CFSC) and the Canadian Restricted Firearms Safety Course (CRFSC) and pass the tests OR challenge and pass the CFSC and the CRFSC tests without taking either course.

Topics covered in the CRFSC include:

�the evolution of firearms, major parts, types and actions;
�basic firearms safety practices;
�ammunition;
�operating handgun actions;
�firing techniques and procedures for handguns;
�care of restricted firearms;
�responsibilities of the firearms owner/user; and
�safe storage, display, transportation and handling of restricted firearms.

If you know a little bit about firearms it is a pretty easy test so my recommendation is to just challenge it without the course, which is what I did.

Last edited by n007; 12/20/12.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JFKinYK
exbio - Being an American living in Canada, who spends a great deal of time in the northern bush, I find it weird to not carry a sidearm of the handgun variety for all sorts of useful purposes, but it is what it is.

Get one of these, they are legal in Canada.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6OZjYuZs-k

IC B3

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
n007 - Really? I thought all shotgun barrels had to be 18 inches.

I was thinking about getting one of those Mare's Leg rifles from Rossi. Pretty cool little gun.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I seriously doubt that the tatooed skinhead in that video, has ever seen a bear and while I have known Joe Dlask, since he came to Canada, and he did three P-64 actions for me when I was still working in forestry, alone in the bush, for the AFS, he is not really a guy to have build Grizzly guns.

I have packed shotguns when supervising forestry crews, over 40 years ago and I never really felt comfortable with the slugs we could then obtain. I much prefer a .338WM or another rifle like that and I consider a gun such as that depicted to be more of a "toy" than a practical tool.

One CAN carry a .44M. revolver in the bush in Canada, simply be obtaining the licence to do so for employment purposes, this is not difficult and many of my friends do this. I am retired and not interested in more handguns, sold my Redhawk and still tend to prefer a 20" bbl'ed .375, which I have and sometimes carry.

I feel "safer"with a Freon horn, caution and avoiding certain areas in the "hyperphagic" time of the bear's season, than I ever did just packing a revolver. YMMV, of course, I am all in favour of legitimate Canucks and legal residents carrying any damn gun they want to.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I was more thinking it would be nice to carry a little 22 revolver. Shoot a hare here and there. Dispatch animals caught in snares. Be a nice survival tool if something goes wrong, etc but is light and stays out of the way. I used to carry one trapping in the US all the time. It felt weird when I first moved here, to be canoeing in the middle of nowhere and not have some sort of firearm but now I've gotten used to it.

For bears, I've never relied on a gun either kutenay. We do the bear spray/bangers/horn and good judgement. It has worked so far.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
After using the C7 rifle for the last part of my Military career, I have zero interest in the AR15 type firearms. However, if I could, I would own an FN C1 in a heartbeat! Too bad it is on the prohib list. Not to say we shouldn't be able to own/use/carry the firearm of our choice, of course we should. Till then the SHTF firearm of choice for me is a short barrel 12g.
Back country firearm of choice is a levergun plus pepper spray.

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The Swissarms version of the Sig 550 is a non restricted firearms as is the Isreali Tabor

Although it is a pain to have a 30 round mag pinned to 5 rounds

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by troutfly

Back country firearm of choice is a levergun plus pepper spray.

+1 cool

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
First and foremost to all who are using the term "assault weapon
I VERY MUCH doubt that any of you own an assault rifle!! If you check the definition of such it is a rifle that allows selective fire from full to repetitive fire. Does any one own such a rifle.
I believe what you are talking about is an AR-15 type of rifle that is an auto loading gun!!Please correct me if I am wrong. By using the term A.W. you are playing right into the hands of those who want to ban them. Just my 2cents. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Pepper spray is one of the things customs seems to frown on.
I see "dog repellent" at Canadian Tire.
Is pepper spray as such sold?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I had a near mint Israeli FN-FAL for a few years but sold it as I was working lightstations for the Can. Coast Guard and my wife was nervous alone in our townhouse in Burnaby with guns like that stored there.

I once went to Lever Arms, Vancouver's once fabulous gunshop and bought some generic 7.62 Nato ammo and took the FN to the now-closed Barnet Rifle Club. I shot sub-inch groups consistently with the issue iron sights and was just astounded. I liked that rifle, but, such guns are mere memories now.......ALL Canadian political parties have connived in disarming us and we NEED to realize that the CPC is NOT a real "friend" to we gun people.

The SIG 550 is one rifle I have almost bought several times in the past 2-3 months, as I have sold off all but my CRF bolt rifles and I still might......pricey, though and I have far too many guns as it is.

Yup, I had two fine custom Grizzly guns, built on levers, both .45-70s, but, while I have owned about every big bore lever rifle made, just sold my Sako Finnwolf, I have never been able to shoot them as well as I can Mod. 70s, Brnos and Mausers...and, as an "old phart", getting into my dotage, I think it best to carry and depend on that gun which works best for he who is using it,lever, bolt or whatever.

I would not bother packing both a .44M and a rifle, I know some who do, but, I feel safest with a well-tested bolt gun and so I guess I am "PC" to the vile gun banners! wink

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by northcountry
First and foremost to all who are using the term "assault weapon
I VERY MUCH doubt that any of you own an assault rifle!! If you check the definition of such it is a rifle that allows selective fire from full to repetitive fire. Does any one own such a rifle.
I believe what you are talking about is an AR-15 type of rifle that is an auto loading gun!!Please correct me if I am wrong. By using the term A.W. you are playing right into the hands of those who want to ban them. Just my 2cents. Cheers NC

VERY well said and we all benefit from reminding each other of such issues, IMHO.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

179 members (10Glocks, 257 mag, 6mmbrfan, 280ACKIMP, 44mc, 35, 23 invisible), 1,366 guests, and 936 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,223
Posts18,447,523
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.