Clarkm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Now the scratching in the walls has stopped.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm not sure how to respond.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That first one tripped a pretty good sized trap. Maybe the rest of them have just stopped scratching? frown

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Taste just like chicken.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good job. I detest those vermin more than any other. When they've been educated, they can be some of the hardest to catch too, so it's good you got them whacked right away.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What's with the boxes around the rats?..............

B.C. don't matter.............Laffin!
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Man those are some big azz critters to have in your house,nasty

Clarkm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
aghorn What's with the boxes around the rats?..............

I take the pic with camera and save to my desktop in Ifanview.
That program has a tool called "auto adjust colors".
http://www.irfanview.com/
If there is a big white background I do not want to include that in the balance. So if there is something dark, I can just draw a box around it and adjust the color [brightness too] inside the box. It can act like night vision for pictures. If I had not done it, the rat would be just a dark shadow. If I do it, you can see features like eyes.

rong
Man those are some big azz critters to have in your house,nasty

The first one I caught in my bedroom while I was trying to sleep. I realized now that people who seem nuts walking around stressed out with a gun and a club saying that rats are keeping them awake, are actually responding correctly to the situation.
I got 4 rats in 3 days, and now no rat activity for a couple days and have now caught up on my sleep.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would bet that if there are presently more, they have figured out that 'you' are a bad thing, something to be avoided. I can recall as a kid trying to catch a rat or several which lived in a building we housed poultry in. Somehow they managed to avoid my initial attempts at catching and later poisoning them. When I finally did manage to catch the old matriarch/patriarch in a blind set some time later, one of its legs had scarring from having previously being pinched along its length. One wouldn't think a rodent would have the intelligence of a canine, but they sure seem to learn well when their life is on the line.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
big ones

Take a kid huntin /fishin/trappin/shootin, you won't regret it
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
They can be dang smart! You can't take credit for that back foot catch one....just not cricket wink

Cowardice is the greatest pandemic that has ever affected mankind.
Clarkm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
That back foot one only hung for 2 hours and it was cold dead.
The trap was on a rope and fell half way down a wall.

What about hanging head down kills a rat?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
IDK....maybe it was the snap when the trap hit the end of the rope.... I trap mice in the henhouse with those plastic tilt traps. They are made for bunny-huggers cause you can release the mouse out one end, but they work VERY well. They have an open door and once the mouses weight takes it over the fulcrum point the door closes behind them. Now it's just a closed off tetter-totter.

I think the mice run themselves to death going back and forth, because they are dead most of the time and wet, like they've been sweating heavily...weird. The chickens love them though! You ought to see them pull the guts out and chow down.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Couple things I've found trapping rats.........

1. a trap that has caught one and it leaves blood on the trap out traps other traps without blood on them.

2. the absolute best bait I ever had success with was lasagna. Two at once....and multiples in a couple hours. Like they didn't care if they got caught.

3. put trap under a half box like a carton used for can goods, pop, etc. Cut out doorway on one side. make sure tall enough for trap to work, although the plastic teethed push opens work well under a box. The box creates a dark space and they feel more comfortable eating. Perhaps the darkness tends to suppress the looks of the trap...who knows.

For what it's worth..........

"By the time you realize your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Holy Sheep Schitt Man! The first one looks like a hybrid capybara!!! I hope you have a loaded shotgun at bedside and a 1911 .45acp or large caliber revolver within arms reach also! Might want to invest in a large leather neck collar for yourself in case one attacks. At least they won't get a jugular before you get them!

Good Luck, God Bless, & Stay Safe!

NRA Life Member
USPSA Life Member
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I've had a heck of a time trapping the bastids around my place. A neighbor feeds birds and they camp out under my deck & shed, feeding at his place.

Although I caught a few last winter, more times than not I'd get nothing. Hell they don't even eat poison!

I put the trail cam out and caught video of them wiggling out of a sprung trap and JUMPING over a loaded trap!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had a running battle with rats for 20 years. First experienced them living in an old farm house rental when we were first married. They were runnin thru the duct work and sounded like a herd of deer. Chased those down and shot em in the basement. Also had em in the garage at that house. Never paid em no mind till I took the cover off my 1000R Ninja in the spring and they had eaten all the rubber off the foot pegs and handle bars. Meant war I tell you. Found out that 3 #2 coilsprings fit very well in the bottom of a galvanized watering pan. Spread some grain around the bottom and killed em off within a week.

Now I got em at my house. One winter they decided that all the vacuum lines on my wife's mini van made a good snack. They also think that the flexible insulated ducts that run thru my crawl space are for chewin on. SOB's, kill em all!.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by bowfisher

The chickens love them though! You ought to see them pull the guts out and chow down.

OH HELL NO!! Never gonna be able to eat chiken again...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
cool

Originally Posted by deflave
Get your dick out of that rooster and go to church.

Travis
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I had one that took me weeks to catch...course I didn't know about the magic bait then ( lasagna, lol)

Wired a scotch pad to a trap and smeared a plethora of substances on it...
[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
716 members (12308300, 160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 90 invisible), 2,712 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,890
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.