Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
I like to ask any one here like the above german 4A reticle for average deer hunting let say out to 200 yards?
I did read they are excellent in low light conditions but I wonder how much different are they compared to the duplex reticle?
I have a mil dot on my 30-06 from Sightron that I really like but out to 200 yards the set up is excellent.
I was thinking on the Sightron German 4A scope

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For my taste they are far superior to a duplex. Many (not all) agree. What I can tell you is that any\every one I ever had look through a #4 and asked to quickly aim at something was impressed with how quickly they could do it. Removing the thick upper vertical crosshair seems to simplify things and I find I tinker less with fine tuning my exact point of aim. It seems to 'bracket' a kill zone instinctively.

Anymore if I can't find a scope in a #4 I just don't buy it. My typical range is the same as yours - within say 225yds. I prefer it where the posts stay thick until very close to the center.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I'm a huge fan of the 4 vs. a Duplex. Not that a Duplex is bad, but I just really like the 4 a lot. Seems less cluttered with that fine wire pointing to 12:00.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
ditto on D-cup...both topics...

Like them especially for low light, say under 100 yards visible and can put up the ones with the non-rangable wide center spaces for shooting long--using the heavy lower post for an extra 400-500 yard zero. Need fine crosshairs on those for me, like the 2nd plane Leica & S&B.

FWIW, I think Zeiss 2nd plane #4 is top dog but like/use the FFP #4 euros too. Swaro 4a has lighter posts than the Zeiss but has always worked well for me. Have used the Lupy "German 4" and works fine for short yardage, dimly lit stuff in native MI...sure miss Premier's Lupy conversions...

Defend the Constitution
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
It depends on the subtention of the center section IMO. I had a #4 installed in a scope and it had the same subtention in the center that a standard duplex has. Nice bold posts and a thinish center section. I gave the scope to my son. I have two scopes with Leupold's post & duplex reticle and one with the heavy duplex. Both have a 1" @ 100 yards subtention for the center section. I like the P&D better. To me a #4 or #4a is a great reticle if the center section is thicker than a duplex. If not, they're not an advantage to me.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No experience with sightron, and all are not equal when it comes to #4 reticle patterns due to different subtensions. But, it is one of my favorite all around reticle patterns when it comes to medium and big game. Generally, the #4 is not quite as bold as the #1 when it comes to a dedicated reticle for driven game in cover during times of poor light, and it is not as precise as some duplex type reticles for a finer precision on small targets at above average distances. But it does cover the middle ground extremely well.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I prefer the 12oclock post to be non-existent. Hence I prefer the 4, no need for a bold post at the top

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For almost any hunting rifle I prefer a #4 or #4a, to the point where I end up paying more for almost any given scope since the #4's seem to command a premium over the duplex.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I had a German 4a in a Leupy 6 x 42. My son took his first whitetail, an 8 point, with it. Loved that setup. Rifle was a LH Tikka 595 in .223.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

620 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1234, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 76 invisible), 2,640 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,311
Posts18,449,194
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.