Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
There is a show driving hard to the hoop for me to do this with them. They require a fair bit of support I'm not convinced is financially practical yet.

However, if the marketing is there I would probably do it. So if you watched a hunting show would it sway you towards booking with that outfit or have no bearing on the decision?

Guess I always figured my references were the best resource I have. But this might be another path to bookings?

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
BP-B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
It would have no effect on me at all. Perhaps someone who was very impulsive and had never thought about going to Africa before sitting down to see the show might go with the outfitter featured in the show, but how many people are like that?

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I think it would be good business sense to try it. You would hopefully be seen by thousands (millions?) of potential customers. Sometimes you have to explore new avenues.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Have to admit some shows have made me go look the outfitter up on the net. However, have yet to follow through and I would put more faith on a recommendation from someone here on the fire that speaks well of the outfit.

laissez les bons temps rouler
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
it might encourage me to want to go, but honestly, don't think it'd sway me much as to which outfit I went with. I'm kind of a suspicious person when it comes to celebrities and promotions. I'd figure that the celebrity would get special treatment that I might not.
With that said, the only hunting shows I actually enjoy are africa shows. I hate and will not watch any whitetail shows and many of the other North American game hunting shows. Too many, if not nearly all, seem like set-ups.

edit: because I can't spell worth a crap. "nerely" what is that?

Last edited by rphguy; 12/23/12.
IC B2

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
JJ,

It would not sway me one bit. Because of said support that the infomercials require, I have always felt that the average guy does not get the same treatment.

Also due to all the support, editing and producing, the show is not a true representation of actual hunting experience.

Also IMO, good honest outfitters/guides do not need any advertising other than getting the word out. Word of mouth is best and references rule the day.

Arcus Venator
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Would have no effect on me. I depend on references and agents I trust.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Marketing is such a peculiar animal. When what we are doing leaves us wanting something more we wander into areas we are not familar with. We don't mind spending money for our business but we want to make sure we get our money's worth. In this case you have someone that their job is to sell you on their ability to bring you customers. Their motivation is to get a hunt and keep their viewers interested so they can keep their advertisers contributing. In this case you are the advertiser supporting their show. What I would do I ask for references of other outfitters they have hunted so you can ask them if it was worth it for them. Ask would they do it again? Ask how their business was represented? You also want ask these outfitters if they offer a unique hunt that might be why they might have had a positive or negative experience.
You supply references to sell hunts and if they won't do this I would walk away and not look back.
The unknown is not always bad just use the known tequniques you are familar with to work through to find a comfort spot.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I/we went with Huntersgame safaris that was on Northwest Hunter in 2008. I contacted Huntersgame and asked for references. I contacted four of the five references at the time. We have been twice now and plan a third trip. MTG

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
These shows, like the Internet, can be a double edged sword.

When I was researching countries/outfitters for my frst safari I watched a couple of episodes of Dangerous Game when Zayne van der Merwe was the PH. Watching the show did not convince me to use ACST and Zayne but it started my due diligence of ACST. Reading the forums, hunting reports, and going to SCI to meet Adam and Zayne convinced me to book. I do not rely to much on references given by the outfitter or agent. It is not like they will give a contact that had a bad hunt.

On the other side there are several shows after watching them I would never hunt with the outfitter or PH. The essence of hunting is difficult to capture on film however the demeanor of the PHs, the backlapping and high 5s, some of the ethics, and even legalities are questionable.

Last edited by Mike70560; 12/23/12.
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Not much.

Any that does not put the outfitter, PH, camp and support staff in the best light imaginable can be easily edited out during production.

I much prefer glowing referrals from people I trust.

Allen

It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great.
Reviews are only as good as the crowd reviewing them.
Progressive Liberalism is the philosophy of Western suicide.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I've seen obviously drugged male lions arrowed on these hunting shows, so they don't mean much to me.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Mike70560

The essence of hunting is difficult to capture on film however the demeanor of the PHs, the backlapping and high 5s, some of the ethics, and even legalities are questionable.
agreed, I am not a "touchdown dancer" after a kill. I am more reserved externally. I don't need the "mackdaddy" of anything on the market either, nor do I ever feel the need to say "That's what I'm talkin' 'bout" after a kill. Some of the tv expressions are ridiculous.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I've seen obviously drugged male lions arrowed on these hunting shows, so they don't mean much to me.

I fully believe I saw a lion heroine addict get shot with a bow/arrow by that hunter that sings "you ain't seen crazy yet."
I dunno, maybe I'm wrong. But I see a lot of drug addicts in the pharmacy and that lion looked looped and he let them walk up to 25 yards while just sitting there?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
JJ,

Not sure if a TV video would create a positive reaction causing me to book, but I've experienced a lot of negative reactions to various shows and some of that may just be the antics of the hunters....i.e. "end zone celebrations".

A friend that owns a fishing lodge got involved with a fishing program still on TV. I smelled a rat and told my friend and he immediately called our Private Investigator friend and he confirmed my suspicion with in hours......please perform due diligence as in all business proceedings.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by rphguy
Originally Posted by JGRaider

I fully believe I saw a lion heroine addict get shot with a bow/arrow by that hunter that sings "you ain't seen crazy yet."
I dunno, maybe I'm wrong. But I see a lot of drug addicts in the pharmacy and that lion looked looped and he let them walk up to 25 yards while just sitting there?

That's probably one I'm referring to.....Andy Ross of Maximum Archery. Saw it just yesterday. Pathetic.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Not at all.

Jim
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for sharing your insights. This is a "big show" not some home made deal. However I have always depended upon references.

That has been the best single way to generate business. The story from an unrelated third party with nothing to gain has significant credibility.

So, I will cautiously move on with this and not buy into the need to cover excessive demands and expense. If they want to do this it will have to be a more mutual agreement. I do think marketing is without any question the most powerful business on earth. Marketing controls people's thoughts and can convince otherwise intelligent people to make horribly bad decisions. Marketing runs the world not Wall Street.

Look who's running America

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Sorry but not at all. Got my PH picked out for S.A. this spring,
next year in Namibia is picked and most likely that will be it for me. Might do a do over with one of them but ......

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by JJHACK
There is a show driving hard to the hoop for me to do this with them. They require a fair bit of support I'm not convinced is financially practical yet.

However, if the marketing is there I would probably do it. So if you watched a hunting show would it sway you towards booking with that outfit or have no bearing on the decision?

Guess I always figured my references were the best resource I have. But this might be another path to bookings?

Are their initials Jim Burnworth?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
411 members (1lesfox, 300jimmy, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 41 invisible), 2,086 guests, and 919 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,594
Posts18,398,021
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.