Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Pepper spray is one of the things customs seems to frown on.
I see "dog repellent" at Canadian Tire.
Is pepper spray as such sold?

wabigoon;
I trust that this finds you acceptably well this wet December evening sir.

Pepper spray is one of "those things" that make some of us who travel both sides of the medicine line shake our heads more often than not.

We can buy many of the same sprays up here as you can down there - there may be some brands not available up here, but believe it or not I think it's because of a restricted propellant and not the capsicum levels. crazy

We can not however cross into the US with it, so the cans of bear repellent hanging on the coat rack at the entrance have to stay home. Unless I missed something, I could have bought the same stuff in Montana that we can get up here and carried it while we were there, but again I can't bring it back home to Canada..... confused

Clear as mud, no? laugh

Regarding the nomenclature used for tools that shoot bullets, as a long time Hunter Safety examiner in BC and a currently in hiatus Federal Firearms examiner I try to not call any of them weapons as I tend to think it might send the wrong message to the less informed.

I totally agree with my cyber friend troutfly in that if I could play afield with a black rifle it would be an FN in 7.62, but I also agree with kutenay that we should be able to pack what we want as free citizens.

When the whole mandatory PAL system was in it's inception I trained a few RCMP recruits as they didn't have in house trainers at first or so I was told anyway.

The irony of me being OK in the eyes of the federal government to train them in order so they could possess a sidearm, but not being OK enough to be trusted to carry a sidearm myself was not lost on me - not once.

Anyway with all that said, many years ago the late Col. Jeff Cooper ran a bunch of tests at ranges from conversational to about 200yds, with shooters of various skill levels using an AR variant, an AK variant and a 94 equipped with a receiver sight and a trigger job. The 94 made a pretty fair showing for itself in terms of hits, even with rapid fire - but of course is slower to recharge when dry.

I hope and pray to never need it for anything serious but if called upon in time of need, in the back of the safe rests a very slicked and tweaked mid '70's 94. It's my saddle gun when chasing cows and accompanies our family on tenting trips, so it's a bit of a favorite of mine that has proven terminal for enough live targets that I'd bet on it being as deadly a tool as I'd hopefully never need.

All the best to you and yours this Christmas wabigoon and all the best to you in 2013 as well.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by northcountry
First and foremost to all who are using the term "assault weapon
I VERY MUCH doubt that any of you own an assault rifle!! If you check the definition of such it is a rifle that allows selective fire from full to repetitive fire. Does any one own such a rifle.
I believe what you are talking about is an AR-15 type of rifle that is an auto loading gun!!Please correct me if I am wrong. By using the term A.W. you are playing right into the hands of those who want to ban them. Just my 2cents. Cheers NC

I am talking about a fully automatic capable assault rifle. When the time comes, such a weapon would be a desirable commodity for protecting my family. Given the opportunity I'd get one in a minute....

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by GRF
The Swissarms version of the Sig 550 is a non restricted firearms as is the Isreali Tabor

Although it is a pain to have a 30 round mag pinned to 5 rounds

The pinned mag is one reason I have zero interest in an AR type firearm. In a SHTF scenario the 5 rounds would be........How many 5 round mags can a guy carry? Makes more sense to carry a lever gun capable of having up to 10 rounds avail or a short barrel 12g with mag extender. The shotgun is likely the optimal tool as in a number of cases you could have a longer barrel for food gathering plus a shorter barrel with a mag ext for defensive puposes.
Regardless of your firearm choice, rifle or shotgun, be it a semi, lever, bolt or pump action, practice with it till you become proficent with it as both a food gathering and defensive tool. Regardless, we need to support one anothers choice. A hand gun would be a nice addition too.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Pepper spray is one of the things customs seems to frown on.
I see "dog repellent" at Canadian Tire.
Is pepper spray as such sold?

The best stuff in Canada is made by UDAP. It certainly does work, I can tell you, BTDT.
The rules about bear spray and the border are quite rediculous as the diffrences are minimal.
I carry both spray and a lever gun with the spray being deployed first. The rifle is to back up the spray if the bear decides to take another run at me or there are multiple bears, then it gets deployed first. While I rather enjoy bear steaks with a side of apple sauce, I have no desire to kill a bear if I don't need to. If we both walk away, it was a good day for both of us. Not saying everyone should look at it this way, just the choice I have made.
(I have heard that bear spray has been known to deter two legged varmints as well)
Back on topic.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Frankly, a selective fire rifle/carbine with even 40 rd. mags is not a very sound choice in a defensive situation. It's "utility"is largely a fantasy derived from the contemporary "ninja" media culture which has subsumed much of North America's gun culture, to our detriment.

Such a gun, if used frequently on "full rock and roll" as the wannabes call it, will soon burn out the throat of it's bbl. and lose accuracy. It is a tool designed for contaminating a large area with projectiles to wound the enemy and thus engage a larger number of troops in caring for their comrades, rendering them less of a threat. It is useful in military applications, but, is not much good for careful, legal home defence.

I might add that one cannot be "safe"from an armed enemy, unless the S.O.B. is either DEAD or severely wounded and ONE precise hit in a vital area is STILL the best means to that end.

A good field shot with a sound hunting rifle, an extended mag. repeating shotgun and a good handgun can defend his home more effectively than some tattooed weirdo with a "black gun" that he owns to project a quality of manhood that he so pathetically lacks....the BC Lower Mainland is full of 5'5"-145 lb. "kewl dudes" of exactly this sort.......

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by n007

Get one of these, they are legal in Canada.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6OZjYuZs-k

I believe any shotgun has to be 32" min length to be legal.
Thus the reason the 12" barreled "backpackers" are legal since they have a full Butt stock bringing them to min length.
That shotty in vid would not be 32".

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
26" or the metric equivalent over all length. Not designed to fired by one hand. Barrel not sawed off - so factory length. Think that's how it goes, or at least used to go.

The Ranch Hand/Mare's Leg comes under the length, but it is not designed to be fired by one hand. Weird.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Okay, using the term "Assault weapon" makes you look like an idiot. That's the fearmongering term the gun-grabbers came up with, don't use it. Grenade launcher? Landing craft? Bangalore torpedo? Mortar launched grappling hook? Or military-styled semi-automatic rifle?

Yes, we should be able to own them. They aren't any more dangerous than a Remington semi-auto in .30-06, which I'm sure most people are fine with.

Oh, and for the record, the old SMLE makes for a great platform. Very fast bolt, 10 round capacity, loaded with stripper clips. I gotta get me one.

Last edited by grouseman; 12/21/12.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
The original assault weapon was likely a rock or a stick. wink How do you suppose Cain did in Abel?

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Yes, and bare hands. A pillow has been a weapon as well.

We are all convinced, now on to the gun haters.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B3

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Sorry, I thought we were discussing assault weapons. blush How rude of me!

Brother Keith

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I was talking about being smothered with a pillow.

What were YOU thinking?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Really, not needed. Any rifle or shotgun is more than adequate.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by grouseman
Okay, using the term "Assault weapon" makes you look like an idiot. That's the fearmongering term the gun-grabbers came up with, don't use it. Grenade launcher? Landing craft? Bangalore torpedo? Mortar launched grappling hook? Or military-styled semi-automatic rifle?

Yes, we should be able to own them. They aren't any more dangerous than a Remington semi-auto in .30-06, which I'm sure most people are fine with.

Oh, and for the record, the old SMLE makes for a great platform. Very fast bolt, 10 round capacity, loaded with stripper clips. I gotta get me one.

Military style semi-automatic with full automatic capabilities.....now your talking!!

zxc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
https://www.canadaammo.com/product/detail/58/dominion-arms-backpacker-single-barrel-shotgun-13/

With practice/organized ammo you can get 15 to 20 rounds off per minute. An auto ejector would be nice but honing out the chamber a bit allows 'flick of the wrist' evacuation of the spent shell. Shock and awe in dim light has to be seen to be believed.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
The only thing more "Up close and personal" than that would be a knife.
Nothing like a bit of practice to get the rounds crankin down range. I can accurately empty my 1894 in mere seconds, those single shot shotguns can be cycled pretty quick too.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
having worked in Canada for a while, ( employed by a Canadian Company I might add, not an American one...), plus all of my travels there annually... seeing and visiting from Newfoundland to BC and the Yukon...

like Kutenay, it is sad to see all of these immigrants from China, India, Pakistan and the Middle East, changing the very fabric of the country, the same as has happened in the USA..

if we didn't have all of this, I wish both Canada and the USA, also had military requirements of its sane citizens... that we were all part of our military reserved, armed and required to be proficient in the use of said weapons, along with other required military training... to include field medical first aid taught to basic combat medics..

Switzerland and Israel are two countries that have the right idea... defending ourselves and our nations are a God given right, which politicians continually try to take away from all of us..

armed citizens would certainly cut down on the crime rate.. where ever there is a high crime rate...

of course leftists would just proclaim it would only increase crime and violence... maybe in the beginning they'd be right.. but in the long run, it would certainly clean out the bad elements...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by kutenay
Frankly, a selective fire rifle/carbine with even 40 rd. mags is not a very sound choice in a defensive situation. It's "utility"is largely a fantasy derived from the contemporary "ninja" media culture which has subsumed much of North America's gun culture, to our detriment.

Such a gun, if used frequently on "full rock and roll" as the wannabes call it, will soon burn out the throat of it's bbl. and lose accuracy. It is a tool designed for contaminating a large area with projectiles to wound the enemy and thus engage a larger number of troops in caring for their comrades, rendering them less of a threat. It is useful in military applications, but, is not much good for careful, legal home defence.

I might add that one cannot be "safe"from an armed enemy, unless the S.O.B. is either DEAD or severely wounded and ONE precise hit in a vital area is STILL the best means to that end.

A good field shot with a sound hunting rifle, an extended mag. repeating shotgun and a good handgun can defend his home more effectively than some tattooed weirdo with a "black gun" that he owns to project a quality of manhood that he so pathetically lacks....the BC Lower Mainland is full of 5'5"-145 lb. "kewl dudes" of exactly this sort.......

Kutes,

too bad half the good folks of Canada and half the good folks on our side the border.. didn't have your level of common sense...

I live where I can buy such rifles and such hand guns.. yet I don't own them for the exact reasons you posted above...

plus if ever needed those types would quickly find themselves also out of ammo..

for those that want to be lethal in defense of their family and homes, they should also really learn about first aid treating combat gunshot wounds... also about Anatomy and Physiology... and more about what kind of performance that bullets can perform in the best of scenarios..

I suggest all of that, as I was a trained basic combat medic and a highly advanced trained medic for a variety of scenarios to include Nuclear Biological and Chemical Warfare...and have also completed the Green Beret Medic Course..

The suggestion of that training if one wants to survive, lets you know where to hit a threat and how to put them down quickly, with a wide variety of available resources, regardless of how much 'body armour' they may be wearing...slow moving bullets like a 22 mag will go thru a lot of body armour available out there...

a slow moving varmint bullet can do a lot of damage to tissue in all directions... a varmint bullet hitting a leg can take down someone and cut a major artery or vein quite quickly...

there is about 6 litres of blood within the human body...so it takes little time to "bleed out" if something major is hit to open up the enclosed system of our circulatory system...

maybe morbid to speak of... but much more effective, than Rambo and his tattoos and full auto AK or AR...

besides if anyone has fired one of those on full auto at a target at 100 meters, they'll find they won't have much of a 'group'... so it is easy to unload a mag and not hit a darn thing you are aiming at...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It takes a lot less blood than one would think to lose consciousness. About a half the blood we have is circulating in arteries and veins. The rest is in organs such as liver kidneys and pancreas. Seafire is right. Knowing where to hit major arterial plexis or nerves and knowing how to take care of injuries are useful knowledge.

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Seen more than a few "bleed out" right quickly when the aeorta gets either ripped off or shot off the top of the heart. It may not be instantaneous, but it ain't much off that. blush

Brother Keith

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (17CalFan, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,933 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,276
Posts18,467,541
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.