Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
JJ,

10 years ago, I decided to book a mule deer hunt, based upon a regular show on an outdoor channel featuring a Colorado outfitter and numerous 'celebrity' hunters, like Babe Winkleman, etc. etc.

A month before the hunt was to take place, the guy announced that he was out of business, and would not honor any of his bookings, nor refund any of the deposits he had taken. He screwed dozens of hunters out of many thousands of dollars, and was never held accountable. He's still in business, running a guide school.

I know that would never happen with you- but the experience soured me from EVER again booking a hunt based upon something I saw on TV.

I also find it disgusting when a guy shoots something on one of these shows, then spends 5 minutes thanking TC, Remington, Winchester, Muzzy, Mathews, the outfitter, Jesus, Cabelas, etc. etc. etc.

That said, I think these shows generally have entertainment value only. As far as bookings go, I am much more inclined to attend sport shows, research outfitters on the internet, read hunter reviews, or do repeat bookings with a reputable outfitter I have come to know and trust.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
BP-B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Chipolopolo

Are their initials Jim Burnworth?

That's the other clown who passes off shooting drugged lions with a bow as real hunting.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Save your money Hack. I have yet to call a show sponsor or make an inquiry. I won't even watch ANY of the North American shows, and have quit watching most of the African shows. I think your best bet for advertising would be to attend some of the larger hunting expos. Harrisburg, Pa. comes to mind.

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
We have been there three years in a row now.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Are you going to be at SCI Reno? If you are would love to talk to you.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Bighorn
JJ,

10 years ago, I decided to book a mule deer hunt, based upon a regular show on an outdoor channel featuring a Colorado outfitter and numerous 'celebrity' hunters, like Babe Winkleman, etc. etc.

A month before the hunt was to take place, the guy announced that he was out of business, and would not honor any of his bookings, nor refund any of the deposits he had taken. He screwed dozens of hunters out of many thousands of dollars, and was never held accountable. He's still in business, running a guide school.

I know that would never happen with you- but the experience soured me from EVER again booking a hunt based upon something I saw on TV.

I also find it disgusting when a guy shoots something on one of these shows, then spends 5 minutes thanking TC, Remington, Winchester, Muzzy, Mathews, the outfitter, Jesus, Cabelas, etc. etc. etc.

That said, I think these shows generally have entertainment value only. As far as bookings go, I am much more inclined to attend sport shows, research outfitters on the internet, read hunter reviews, or do repeat bookings with a reputable outfitter I have come to know and trust.

I don't mind them thanking Jesus, afterall Jesus hung around with commercial fisherman and was an amateur fisherman Himself. Even caught a fish with a coin in its mouth to pay His taxes.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Well, right there's my mistake!
Been looking for places where money grows on trees, when I should have been fishing for fish with taxpayer money in their mouths.

Oh, wait- that's what the TV fishermen are already doing...... laugh

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It would influence me. I�d never book with them and would wish to stay as far away from them as possible. I do not watch hunt shows and feel they cheapen the experience. IMO it is a private affair.
If an individual was prone to any certain buffoonery or other behavior that could be displayed as unflattering they would be wise to maintain final editorial control; otherwise such exposure could do more harm than good. Merry Christmas.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just assume the outfitter is too expensive for me.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I dunno, maybe if you could catch a black mamba with your bare hands that's be pretty cool. And do some of those "oops we almost got trampled by a cape buffalo" clips. Then top it off with a spear hunt for a drugged male lion.

I think the "you ain't seen addicted yet" guy is gonna have this stuff on next week, though, so you'd have to think up something to top it.

aja, I'm kidding around. I think it could be good if you laid some ground rules about how you are presented and that you have some control over the final edit or something, or at least a say.

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
JJ - what you've got here is a group of people who prefer the internet to get their information, rather than television shows.

I fall solidly into the internet/computer group, and have a general distrust of TV shows - hunting, fishing or otherwise.

With this forum, it's pretty easy for a guy to share a PM or two with an outfitter/guide he may be considering - then a follow up phone call or two is also easy. I dunno - to me this makes more sense than the television show, but I could be wrong. A marketing guru I'm not.

Best of luck in this year and future years! Guy

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
If your should make a video, you have to promise that you won't sing in order to fill time slot........I'm down to watching Roger Raglin play piano.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by JJHACK
There is a show driving hard to the hoop for me to do this with them. They require a fair bit of support I'm not convinced is financially practical yet.

However, if the marketing is there I would probably do it. So if you watched a hunting show would it sway you towards booking with that outfit or have no bearing on the decision?

Guess I always figured my references were the best resource I have. But this might be another path to bookings?

Dedicated checkbook hunters are not swayed by any advertising. They go with recommendation from known aquaintences such as other hunting club members and preferably personal friends. Busy professional people don't watch these shows and serious amateurs tire of them very quickly.

Like the masses, I was intrigued in the late 80's/early 90's when these shows first appeared (usually in Video tape format) as there was simply nothing like them and they gave you exposure to animals of interest. Most of the hosts and hunters featured these days are laughable fools with nothing to offer the technically minded, nor anything whatsoever in hunting skills.

You will likely be used for a free hunt to make the hunter look a hero.

John

PS: I saw a show for a couple of minutes last night where the so called hunter shot a mule deer from the back of a truck in Sonora. I turned the TV off.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CharlesL
I just assume the outfitter is too expensive for me.

Ditto. Aside from good, solid, 'been there, done that' references, and all other things being equal, my checkbook will significantly influence my decision on an African outfitter.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
For me, If I were the guy, GIVING the hunt away, I would absolutely maintain final editorial control. Problem is once the "actor" begins editing, he has forgotten all about his promise and will edit biased results based on his shameless, self promotion.

I, like many previous posters have mentioned, won't or can't watch most TV hunting. Shockey is probably the only one I really like to watch.

As far as show go, I used to be on the BOD of the PHX chapter of SCI. We did the ISE show in Phoenix every year as a membership drive. During the good years there was fantastic attendance. However even during those times the 6-7 African outfitters there rarely booked hunters. I would agree the shows that garner results are DSC, SCI Reno and Harrisburg.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Merry Christmas Jim,

IMHO you would get better mileage from revising & updating your book and use that as the introduction to hunters, especially new safari addicts. Word of mouth advertising and the book to cement your credentials will be the best advertising.

Edwin

Maryland - Where the criminals are the government.
RAC Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hmmmm. I would have to know more to comment. It wouldn't sway me but advertising is advertising. One thing is for sure. I would watch it.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Part of marketing is name recognition. When I think about hunting in Africa, the first name that comes to mind is Rann Safaris. It is because of their exposure on hunting shows.

I don't know what percentage of hunters who go to Africa are first timers, but name recognition is probably more important to them.

Last edited by doubletap; 12/26/12.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've been associated with outfitters who had TV shows made of their operation, and it usually helped bookings. Of course, a lot depends on the quality of the TV show, the animals taken, and how much "free' stuff the outfitter had to throw in.

But as doubeltap points out, part of marketing is name recognition. If an ourfitter's name gets out in public enough, it affects bookings, usually positively.

Once a Texas newspaper columnist ripped a state politician upside-down and sideways in her column. The next time the polician saw her, he smiled widely, held out his arms, and said, "Honey, thanks for mentioning my name!"

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
smile

I was taking a marketing class at the time Hugh Grant was caught getting a hummer from a prostitute in his car. My marketing professor said that it would hurt his career and she would never watch another of his movies.

The publicity of his arrest actually helped his career. My professor wasn't as smart as she thought she was.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
652 members (17CalFan, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257Bob, 12344mag, 1234, 74 invisible), 2,970 guests, and 1,367 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,668
Posts18,399,405
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.