Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
cobrad #7138021 12/03/12
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
My second was a spike at I would guess 300yds 22-250 55gr win. He was just right there with a behind the shoulder shot. Varment bullets can do wounders at longer ranges. 1980.Kawi

GB1

kawi #7138025 12/03/12
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Ho and it was a threw and threw.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by buffybr
Originally Posted by scenarshooter

I remember you always had Buffy along when we used to shoot trap out at Logan every wednesday night. You'd toss five empty shotgun shells on the floor of the clubhouse, and Buffy would gather them all up and bring them back to you.......not one at a time, all five at once!

Yeah she loved to retrieve shot shells. After I switched to shooting Skeet, she got better at retrieving shells. Her record was eight empty 12 ga hulls in one mouthful...thrown by Barbara Mandrell's kids at a shoot that she and her husband Ken shot with us.
[Linked Image]

Lucky you, posing with two sweethearts.....grin!

[Linked Image]

My newest "tag along", Max, going on his first coyote hunt a few days ago..........I think he likes that old Sako!

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Airdale Terier ?

Last edited by Gravestone; 12/03/12.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Did you find Max locally?

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I remember you always had Buffy along when we used to shoot trap out at Logan every wednesday night. You'd toss five empty shotgun shells on the floor of the clubhouse, and Buffy would gather them all up and bring them back to you.......not one at a time, all five at once!

Yeah she loved to retrieve shot shells. After I switched to shooting Skeet, she got better at retrieving shells. Her record was eight empty 12 ga hulls in one mouthful...thrown by Barbara Mandrell's kids at a shoot that she and her husband Ken shot with us.
[Linked Image]

That's a good looking hound, I love Max already. Looks like he's on a hardship hunt (crank windows...grin)

Dober

[Linked Image]

My newest "tag along", Max, going on his first coyote hunt a few days ago..........I think he likes that old Sako!

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Gravestone
Airdale Terier ?

Sure is....I've had at least one Airedale around ever since I was a kid.....pretty easy to like their character.

SLM, I got him from a retired government trapper in South Central Montana.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

[Linked Image]

That's a good looking hound, I love Max already. Looks like he's on a hardship hunt (crank windows...grin)

Dober

[Linked Image]

"That's a good looking hound, I love Max already. Looks like he's on a hardship hunt (crank windows...grin)"

It's called the exercise package at our house.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Airdale Terier ?

Sure is....I've had at least one Airedale around ever since I was a kid.....pretty easy to like their character.

SLM, I got him from a retired government trapper in South Central Montana.

They are neat dogs. Been talking to a guy in Texas about his pups. Not many around here.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I love Airedales! I'm about ready for another.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Airdale Terier ?

I like teriers...we have a Carin,like any other terier they got alot of character.When i had to put Sandy down after 15 great years of companoinship i swore i wouldn't get another dog because i didn't want to go thru that pain again...that lasted 2 months then we got Toby.I'll never forget Sandy but Toby definately filled the void.
Good luck with Max!

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Cairns are a hoot, have one now. Had an Airedale as a kid and thinking of getting another.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
260, 140 SST, 2750 MV, 250ish yards. Little dude shot too far forward and absolutely smashed the onside scapula. "f'n faceplant" barely describes the reaction, auditory feedback indicated broken bones. Elk #3 in as many years for the 13 year old hunter... though the performance of the SST seemed quite frangible, and no exit was immediately evident, the elk was very much doornail dead.

[Linked Image]

Figured I'd fill a tit tag and the second half of the freezer for myself on the same hunt.

Brad's advice here made me deeply and very sincerely doubt the capabilities of the 260, along with the reality of the last dozen elk it's killed... so in lieu of actually seeing 140 grain pills suddenly bounce off for myself, I took the choad... 338 RCM, 225 NAB, 2600MV, 490 yards. Bang-flop wasn't in the cards, she ran about 30 yards... with a blood trail a guy could see with naked eyeballs across that 490 yards.

[Linked Image]

Actually just wanted to smack something with "The Choad" and the opportunity presented itself... and had my 260 along in case something went horribly wrong.

wink

"Your range of experience runs that gamut from A to B, plus you're a nitwit. That's a hard combination to overcome, though some people try." - JB
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Looks adequate to me... smile

Matt what rifle is the 338RCM? I am fond of the feel of the Ruger wood stocked rifle but don't own one.

Last edited by BobinNH; 12/26/12.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Stainless 20" Ruger slapped into a skeleton stock, 2.5-8 with turrets.

Ingram combo may have set the record for our house, took delivery Friday afternoon and had dismantled 3 elk by sundown Sunday...

"Your range of experience runs that gamut from A to B, plus you're a nitwit. That's a hard combination to overcome, though some people try." - JB
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks! Down and done....nice!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No worries Bob.

So far the 260 has punched elk tickets with boring reliability and regularity with 140 SGKs, 140 NPT, 140 NAB, 140 SST. I can remember exactly ONE that took two shots... slight miscommunication and shot placement of first volley squarely into the guts would have required a finisher no matter the chambering or projectile. So far the Noslers exit on average, the others, not so much.

I was kinda hopin' for a longish shot to present itself, I had AMAXs loaded this time in addition to SSTs I wanted to use in the 260 on a broadside shot over there 'a bit'... however the azz deep snow woulda made prone a miserable position for sure. Guess I'll have to wait until the next episode, which, on average, ain't too far in the future for us... wink

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wait a minute Matt!! You're kill elk with a 260 with SGK's no less!! A puny little caliber like that and SGK's bounce of an elk!! LOL!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Simular topic taken off another website.
http://shootingworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5270

I personally believe i you know your cartridge,know it's limitation and know the anatomy of the animal it can absolutely be done.
The guy that claims he can shoot his 300Mag as accurately as his 270 is either a heck of a marksman or a heck of a liar....i'm thinking the latter.

I got a "malware warning" when i clicked on that link (FWIW).

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Simular topic taken off another website.
http://shootingworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5270

I personally believe i you know your cartridge,know it's limitation and know the anatomy of the animal it can absolutely be done.
The guy that claims he can shoot his 300Mag as accurately as his 270 is either a heck of a marksman or a heck of a liar....i'm thinking the latter.

I got a "malware warning" when i clicked on that link (FWIW).

I just clicked on it Okie i didnt a warning. It's never been a problem when i've gone on that site.

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 163bc, 1lessdog, 16penny, 2500HD, 59 invisible), 2,058 guests, and 1,134 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,198
Posts18,465,952
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.